I cannot eat a burger without throwing up

Options
I am recovering, 4 months into it. I was in Inpatient but after leaving Inpatient I never received a follow up with a Dietitian. So I spent 3 months not eating enough and then binging so I gained an extra 14 pounds (the team was happy with my weight at 150 pounds but I went home trying to self-recover and wasn't eating enough so my body responded by binge eating) so anyways I am now over 4 months into my recovery and I have went from CRAZY hunger like having to eat over 3,000 calories per day and NEVER feeling satisfied to eating FORCED meals. Like if I don't remind/make myself eat I won't because I have no interest in food/eating. I have tracked what I ate today:

Breakfast: 1 piece of toast, 1 laughing cow cheese triangle, 2 yogurt cups, 1 cinnamon roll.
Lunch: 1 bagel with cream cheese, 2 yogurt cups, 1 cinnamon roll
Snack: 2 yogurt cups
Dinner: 1/2 a "Mr. Big" Chocolate Bar and 1/2 a Junior Chicken from Mcdonalds

When trying to eat both the chocolate bar and the junior chicken from mcdonalds I got quite full and felt like vomiting if I had to continue eating.

We got pizza for dinner and I was not able to even look at it without feeling sick, I have saved my pizza and will eat it for breakfast as I am not interested in it now.

I am worried and wondering whether or not you think I should see my doctor about this. I cannot even imagine having to eat anymore then what I ate today, eating the burger made me throw up because it was too much food. i feel sick eating dinner because I am often full. It is like my body is rejecting food. I was SO hungry early in my recovery it was truly like I was never satisfied but now I cannot eat more then this amount or my body rejects it.

Is my body sick? Should I go back to the hospital? Am I doing something wrong that is causing me to be so sick when eating by dinner? Breakfast and Lunch I can eat comfortably but by snack and dinner I am sick. I am worried my body will start losing weight or worse muscle, what do you think?

Btw my body has seemingly overshot it's weight goal by close to 15 pounds. My doctor's were happy with my weight at 150 pounds to 155 pounds but say my weight is also "stable" at 164. However I am worried this is how my body is going to average out and go back to it's set point weight by making me eat dramatically less. I am really concerned :(

Replies

• mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If it is giving you so much trouble, I do recommend going to your doctor or a nutritionist. How many calories was all of this? Is it near your calorie goal?

I can eat 2000 a day, but more than that and I can't take it. Maybe you need to change it up some? Try other foods perhaps. But definitely seek some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • josiebearly11209
    Options
    If it is giving you so much trouble, I do recommend going to your doctor or a nutritionist. How many calories was all of this? Is it near your calorie goal?

I can eat 2000 a day, but more than that and I can't take it. Maybe you need to change it up some? Try other foods perhaps. But definitely seek some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I calculated and it was around 1,450 calories total. I do not know my goal of calories, I believe I maintain my weight on A LOT because I have not gained weight in over a month and a month ago I was still binging on large amounts. I am just worried, will eating this little cause me to lose weight? I want my body to naturally sort itself out but I cannot seem to get past this amount without being sick.
  • josiebearly11209
    Options
    It is not so much causing me trouble as it is causing anxiety because I am worried I am doing something wrong. However it seems the amount I am eating now is just how much my body wants to eat. Clearly it is rejecting excess food as it made me throw up.

I am wondering as it has been mentioned to me that Eating Disorder Patient's often "Overshoot" their weight set point by upwards of 10% that perhaps my body is finally content with the knowledge of knowing it will not starve again and now making an attempt to come back down to it's natural weight? I am 10-15 pounds heavier now then I was pre-Eating Disorder and my weight Pre-Eating Disorder was a weight I maintained for over 2 years effortlessly even when I would eat fast food multiple times a week and have NO idea how many calories I was indeed taking in.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am replying to this without any knowledge of ed and also trying not to scare you. But, I really think you should go see a doctor. Your loss of appetite might be related to your ed. it could also be caused by something else... Appetite loss is a really common symptom for a whole load of medical issues. If a friend came to you and said what you have posted you would be worried for them right? Bottom line, go see your family doctor and make sure you are ok. Hugs

Edit to add well done on your recovery. Hope you find out what is causing your current issues.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it you probably need to go see your doctor. You sounds like you are actively seeking recovery so please make sure to follow up with a therapist as well.
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree, if something seems not right, follow your own intuition about it.
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would likely feel quite sick eating what you had eaten during the day. Have a high blood sugar burst can make you quite nauseated. I agree with a lot of the above. Time to go back to your doctor and suggest to him/her that you see a ED dietician. You could also look back over food records you kept in hospital. Any reputable clinic would have had you on a balanced meal plan including fruits, vegetables, dairy, carbs, protein, fats and some treats so that you don't feel deprived. Try going back to that while you're waiting for an appointment.

Also, MFP may not be the best place for recovery from an ED. Lots of the topics are very appearance focused and may be hard to resist. There are several great ED recovery tools including 'Recovery Record", a free app for iphones. There are others too for other phone types. Take good care!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest that perhaps eating so many carb-heavy foods with so little protein made you feel nauseated.

+1 on telling your doctor and talking to a nutritionist. If the example you posted is typical for you, I'd be concerned you are not getting the nutrients you need in addition to not getting the calories you need.

As a side note - have you considered drinking your calories when you get disinterested in food? Liquids are usually easier on the stomach. Try juices, smoothies, shakes.
  • mtapia713
    mtapia713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are serious about recovery so I am going to speak up here. I am a dietitian.

You HAVE to get your out patient team together.

1) Get a therapist that you like that specializes in ED (THIS IS REALLY REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!!)

2) Get a Dieitian that specializes in ED , make sure those two communicate with each other
    (Generally one will not work with out good communication with each other)

3) Have a PCP or Psychiatrist you trust manage your medications

You may have feel more comfortable in a different type of forum like Food and Feelings for Emotional Eaters on Yahoo groups, Karen Koenig has some great information. Try www.bhndpg.org, they are also on Twitter @BHNDPG, Behavorial Health Nutrition may be a great resource to point you in right direction to find someone in your local area.

Recovery is possible! You can do it!!! (Hugs)
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    im in recovery also, same for me sort of, in treatment they mention the digestive system is out of whack, for me, some foods go down, I think its not used to staying down so the pain is the actual digestion process.
    maybe try smaller portions, eggs for me I cant, and red meat, I go heavier sort of during the day.
    it will take awhile I was told for the body to heal.
    go to the dr so they can have a look.
    takes time to heal your on the right track
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why so many freakin yogurt cups? I'm sure you can find higher calorie items than SIX of those things a day, and would be a heck of a lot cheaper, too.

I would shoot for higher calorie foods, nut butters, olive oil, full fat meats and cheeses, over quantity.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It may help to start with eating softer/ easier foods for your digestive system like yogurts, cracker, oatmeal, soft veggies, ground lean meats, protein shakes, etc. - burgers, bagels, chocolate, pizza, etc. can be much for anyone especially someone recovering from an eating disorder.

You can healthily gain weight and maintain and it can all be done with good and nutritious foods. There are plenty of hearty healthy foods that you can eat such as nuts, hummus, cheese, etc that will give you the calories AND the proper proteins/ nutrients.

Perhaps start with a nutritionist and learn the basics of eating...its not as simple as we all think it is and it will help you in the long-term :smile:
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be following up with a therapist/nutritionist.

I don't know how long you had an eating disorder, but I suffered from delayed gastric emptying for a long, long time into recovery. So you might feel overly full because you ARE; the only thing that really helped me was supplementing my diet with shakes (Ensure, etc) and eating a lot of vegetables and fruits.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree with mtapia713, the dietician. You need a good ED specialty team to help you now that you are not in an inpatient facility, where you had the structure and support 24/7. I'm very surprised you were not given referrals to an ED therapist and dietician when you left inpatient. I am an addiction professional and food is my substance of choice. It seems you are eating a lot of carbs and calorie dense foods, but very few high-fiber fruits and vegetables. You need balance, not just calories.

Look up the links and resources mtapia provided and if you can find a Compulsive Eaters Anonymous (CEA-HOW--the HOW stands for Honesty, Open-mindedness and Willingness) group near you, that has sponsors that address ED/anorexia, that may also be helpful. If you decide to check out CEA-HOW, do an internet search and contact the area office closest to you to ask where the best meetings are for EDs.

Good luck to you and don't give up! None of us can do it alone, so get the help you need.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If I eat too many sweet things I get sick. Maybe try some more foods like vegatables, meats(if you eat them), grains like rice and oatmeal. We always cook our veggies in some water with a bit of butter and salt.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I calculated and it was around 1,450 calories total. I do not know my goal of calories, I believe I maintain my weight on A LOT because I have not gained weight in over a month and a month ago I was still binging on large amounts. I am just worried, will eating this little cause me to lose weight? I want my body to naturally sort itself out but I cannot seem to get past this amount without being sick.

If you would log your food you would know how many calories you eat and this would be at least something to go by. It would be at least something to work with. Not logging anything at all really does not help....
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are eating lots of processed carbs and sugar and little protein, whole foods, fresh fruits or vegetables. Check out www.oa.org
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You are eating lots of processed carbs and sugar and little protein, whole foods, fresh fruits or vegetables. Check out www.oa.org

Op, ignore the ridiculous 'input' from the individual above.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I believe OEA helps all eating disorders, not just over eating.
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Op, ignore the ridiculous 'input' from the individual above.

Overeaters Anonymous helps Anorexics, Bulimics and Compulsive Overeaters. Having experienced all 3 aspects of disordered eating, having been in outpatient treatment programs myself, and having received help from this 12 step program I know it works.

OP, if you want help it is out there and free. Many folks here on MFP only know dieting and don't understand eating disorders.