LIfting and cardio regimen for fat loss?

Options
vvancol_rose
vvancol_rose Posts: 30 Member
let me start with some info about myself I'm 20 years old 5'7" I weigh 246 I'm trying to get down to 180 in about 9 months to a year. I've done my research about my nutrition and I have figured out the components to creating a better diet with the advice of a few people from a previous post of mine. Now I need some advice on developing a lifting/cardio routine that would help me with fat loss and muscle gain? I'm not exactly new to lifting I'm part of a d3 sports program and we are always in the weight room however I'll be the first to say that my coach doesn't really know what he's doing in terms of the lifting regimens he has us performing and there have been days where we've worked the same muscle group twice and I'm not an expert at all but aren't you suppose to avoid overworking the same muscle group twice to allow the repair and growth of the muscle tissue?….. anyways the point is I'm tired of putting in work in the weight room and not yielding results because of the incorrect way my coach has me approaching my lifts so I just need help lol.. and I would also love people's feedback on incorporating cardio into their lifting routines..thanks!

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You play a d 3 sport and are in the weight room a lot, and need advice to gain muscle and lose fat? What sport? And why isn't there a strength and conditioning person in the weight room? Is there one available?
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym? Because you can get a free consultation (usually) to set up a regimen. I put together a routine under their supervision of cardio 2-3 times a week and strength training 2-3 times a week. If you talk to a trainer at the gym they'll help put one together for your goals. That would probably be your best bet if you're not happy with what you're doing now.
  • vvancol_rose
    vvancol_rose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You play a d 3 sport and are in the weight room a lot, and need advice to gain muscle and lose fat? What sport? And why isn't there a strength and conditioning person in the weight room? Is there one available?

……..yes I wouldn't be posting if I didn't need the help. how am I suppose to know why there isn't a person strength and conditioning person in the weight room…I don't work for my college… I'm a track and field athlete I throw. and no there isn't a strength and conditioning person in our weight room
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

……..yes I wouldn't be posting if I didn't need the help. how am I suppose to know why there isn't a person strength and conditioning person in the weight room…I don't work for my college… I'm a track and field athlete I throw. and no there isn't a strength and conditioning person in our weight room

Try a beginner compound progressive lifting load program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. REquires lifting 3x a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    here is the summary for SL 5x5.

I personally do that and have been for 7 months..I have had great results in increasing my strength and have really changed the look of my body...my weight loss is of course through my deficit.

As for cardio I do Cardio 2-3x a week usually HIIT or bike riding/walking etc.

If you do chose to do a compound lifting program ensure you do cardio after you lift and/or on off days and take at least one full day off...

No lifting, no HIIT, no hard cardio...rest day....