The dreaded stretch marks....

Hello everyone!!!

I have a question in regards to those terrible 'tiger stripes' some of us have earned. I want to know if there is anything that can be done to diminish them? Bio Oil is out there, Mederma also. Does it really work? Does ANYTHING work? Or are we just blessed with this visual eye-sore?

Replies

• sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    just a part of life they are not technically scars
    so things like mederma will not work
    they do fade with time and get less noticeable
    no one has perfect skin not even super models
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    If there was a magic cure for them they wouldn't exist. Patience is key as they will fade and yes some oil massage can be a help to newer ones to an extent, for some people.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    It works for some people and doesn't work for others. If it bothers you there is always body makeup. That's what models use for their runway shows.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I used Mederma for my c-section scar, and it made a big difference. Now that I've lost weight, the stretch marks that weren't so bad on my abdomen, are much more noticeable. The mederma you have to spend three minutes several times a day massaging. It's not worth it for me to find out. I'll live with the body I've earned by growing the babies I love. Plus I love freaking them out by telling them they were so big and active, they almost burst thru my stomach.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    mine aren't dreaded sorry...I earned those by creating life from scratch...I wear them with pride...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Mine are almost completely faded - TBH I hadn't given them a second thought for ages lol they will fade with time. I have a ton from when I was larger and couple of special ones from growing a little human being - I don't mind either. One reminds me of where I've come from, the other reminds me that I made a human lol

:flowerforyou:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Mine have faded with coco butter lotion. You can still tell that they are there, but they aren't bright red anymore.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    mine aren't dreaded sorry...I earned those by creating life from scratch...I wear them with pride...

Haha same but some recent ones are from weight gain, the ones from pregnancy don't bother me one bit. Either way I never tried to banish them, not keen on the ones creeping up on the tops of my inner arms from this recent hefty weight gain but they'll fade too :)
  • margiebabinmuise
    margiebabinmuise Posts: 4 Member
    That's great for you, SezxyStef! Truly awesome frame of mind!! Unfortunately, they're dreaded for me. I'm not fortunate to have been able to bring life into this world. All of my stretch marks are due to weight. Not something I'm proud of.
  • Tripollar laser surgery has done pretty well at removing or at least drastically minimizing stretch marks...however, I'm not sure that it is approved in the US at this point, and it would probably be very expensive...

Here is the abstract of the article showing its success rate:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19954393

And it works to tighten up loose skin as well - although I would think a person's loose skin would have to be pretty minimal for this to really be effective.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    That's great for you, SezxyStef! Truly awesome frame of mind!! Unfortunately, they're dreaded for me. I'm not fortunate to have been able to bring life into this world. All of my stretch marks are due to weight. Not something I'm proud of.

Once you lose weight, they will be a reminder of how far you've come :happy: