No fast food challenge - May

Options

Replies

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    1. My fast food habit is a McDonald's sausage biscuit once or twice a week. I will go the rest of the month without and try to curb going forward.
    2. My motivation is the fact that i'm trying to stay within the calorie and fat suggested on MFP and those 430 calores and 27 grams of fat are making it a challange. I this will make me more conscience of what i'm doing.
    3. I will update weekly.
    4. I will poke myself with a sharp stick if I fail to go three weeks without a sausage biscuit.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So far I've been doing really well. But today I've done a lot of physical labor so far, and all I want is to get a giant burger and a pile of french fries.

Instead, I'm having salmon and green beans and brown rice. But man. It's hard.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    How about moderation? Just a thought. :huh:

The reason I'm trying this challenge is because I have binge eating issues, mostly with pizza and carbs and salty foods. Maybe one day I can enjoy a slice of pizza with a salad and a big glass of sparkling water, instead of gorping half a pizza in 10 minutes like I usually do, but that day is not today. I keep trying my best, and I log most of my food, and I've found my TDEE by accident (same weight since Nov). Now, I'd like to start losing weight again, and maybe trying to control one thing (pizza consumption), I will start losing again. Good luck to everybody!
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think I'm about to cheat.

Yesterday I was HUGELY active, mostly because of work, but I wound up with a net of less than three hundred calories, giving me about 1200 that I could eat while still hitting my target deficit.

I just couldn't eat that much yesterday because I was so exhausted. But today I am SO HUNGRY, it's cheat day anyway, and all I want is chicken strips, honey mustard sauce, a pile of chili cheese fries, and a piece of cheesecake.

I'm trying willpower, but if this is the only time this month that I actually go for fast food, it'll still be an improvement over the rest of the time.

WHAT DO I DOOOOOOO?
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Fatalis, you are free to choose what to do. It's ok if you eat fast food for one day, indeed only eating ff once in a month is already a great improvement! :) And if that avoids a lot of frustration it can be a smart thing to do.

But it's also nice to do the challenge 100% and go for no ff. It just matters what you find more important.

Though it may be too late, there's also a third option: make your own healthy food - for example you could make your own chicken, baked potatoes (with vegetables, like onion/mushroom/peppers/broccoli/etc) and perhaps a nice salad. It takes some work, but you'll have the food that you want but then homemade and with a lot of healthy vegetables.

Good luck! :)
  • Dagnova
    Options
    1. My fast food habit is a McDonald's sausage biscuit once or twice a week. I will go the rest of the month without and try to curb going forward.
    2. My motivation is the fact that i'm trying to stay within the calorie and fat suggested on MFP and those 430 calores and 27 grams of fat are making it a challange. I this will make me more conscience of what i'm doing.
    3. I will update weekly.
    4. I will poke myself with a sharp stick if I fail to go three weeks without a sausage biscuit.

Welcome shunggie! Good that you join! I don't know what the sausage biscuit is, but it's good to avoid McDonald's! I wonder, what will you eat instead?
  • Dagnova
    Options

The reason I'm trying this challenge is because I have binge eating issues, mostly with pizza and carbs and salty foods. Maybe one day I can enjoy a slice of pizza with a salad and a big glass of sparkling water, instead of gorping half a pizza in 10 minutes like I usually do, but that day is not today. I keep trying my best, and I log most of my food, and I've found my TDEE by accident (same weight since Nov). Now, I'd like to start losing weight again, and maybe trying to control one thing (pizza consumption), I will start losing again. Good luck to everybody!

Indeed moderation is always the best way to change a habit. Fast food is actually addictive (the fats/sugars) and I personally think the most effective way to break addiction is not moderation but to avoid the substance altogether - at least for a while until you have the addiction out of your system. I am not sure how long I will take this challenge, it may be many months, but I am sure that eventually I will occasionally eat fast food again and it will be no problem - because it will be just once a month or so - not 2-3 times per week like I used to do.

MadDogManor, good that you keep going. Let me tell you, I started losing again since I took this challenge so I think you could start losing as well. I think it's because I cut out calorie rich foods and I started to eat a lot more vegetables and fruits (which you know fill your stomach without containing too many calories). In fact I lost 3 kgs in the 3 weeks that I've been in this challenge! :)

So I hope that this will also happen for you! Good luck sticking with this! :)
  • Tic150
    Tic150 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to eat from McDonald's. I really liked Cheeseburgers.
    It's been two years since I haven't eaten any Burgers.
    I never buy Fries, but I cook them myself sometimes.
    I eat pizza. Not too often, maybe once (and rarely twice) a month. There are months when I don't eat any.
    I don't feel the need to eat Fast food anymore. Once you stop eating it, you'll crave it less and less. And it won't even look/smell that good anymore.
    I'll stop eating French fries as well.
  • Dagnova
    Options
    I used to eat from McDonald's. I really liked Cheeseburgers.
    It's been two years since I haven't eaten any Burgers.
    I never buy Fries, but I cook them myself sometimes.
    I eat pizza. Not too often, maybe once (and rarely twice) a month. There are months when I don't eat any.
    I don't feel the need to eat Fast food anymore. Once you stop eating it, you'll crave it less and less. And it won't even look/smell that good anymore.
    I'll stop eating French fries as well.

Thanks Taniac for sharing your experience - good to know that it's really possible to get rid of the cravings! This encourages me greatly! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Indeed moderation is always the best way to change a habit. Fast food is actually addictive (the fats/sugars) and I personally think the most effective way to break addiction is not moderation but to avoid the substance altogether - at least for a while until you have the addiction out of your system. I am not sure how long I will take this challenge, it may be many months, but I am sure that eventually I will occasionally eat fast food again and it will be no problem - because it will be just once a month or so - not 2-3 times per week like I used to do.

MadDogManor, good that you keep going. Let me tell you, I started losing again since I took this challenge so I think you could start losing as well. I think it's because I cut out calorie rich foods and I started to eat a lot more vegetables and fruits (which you know fill your stomach without containing too many calories). In fact I lost 3 kgs in the 3 weeks that I've been in this challenge! :)

So I hope that this will also happen for you! Good luck sticking with this! :)

Yah ok :laugh: addictive :laugh:
  • MadDogManor
    Options
    Doing well this week, I'm hoping to keep it up!
  • Dagnova
    Options
    @MadDog - Good to hear that your week is going well! We're almost halfways through this month!
  • annko65
    annko65 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    is the challenge still up? Sorry it may seem a silly question but as we are already in the middle of May I was just wondering if it was too late to join...
  • Dagnova
    Options
    Hi annko65! You're not too late, you're welcome to join! :)

In fact, I will continue this challenge in June because I feel great not eating any junk food!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I would have seen this post sooner...I will start today
  • ewatts524
    ewatts524 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would love to start this challenge in June since I missed starting in May!

Drive through fast food isn't really my problem, I only eat that about once a month, but pizza is definitely a problem! Since moving in with my boyfriend, we eat pizza about twice a week (one is homemade, the other ordered). Although I only eat about 2 slices a sitting, I think if I cut that out, I'll reach my goal so much more quickly!

5920601.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Goliath1357
    Goliath1357 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Still going strong
  • Dagnova
    Options
    @Golliath - That's awesome! Do you experience any advantages? Is it hard to keep going, or easy?

@Ewatts & Jimervin - You're welcome to join. I started this challenge myself around the mid of April, so you can start now too. Nowadays I like to just take challenges when I feel motivated for them instead of waiting for a "perfect moment" to start (like the start of a year/month/week). I used to do that and it did not make much sense - whenever I failed in my goal I would have to wait for another of those moments to start over. That doesn't make much sense, does it? Better start now - if you're motivated, that is! :)

Good luck!

@Ewatts - Is the homemade pizza completely homemade, or just a frozen pizza but into the oven? If the first, you could also add more vegetables on the pizza and/or add a salad. That way you make it into a healthy meal. I don't consider such a meal junk food or fast food. About the ordered pizza, yeah I would replace that too.
    I ate pizza 2-3 times per week myself and *never* cooked a meal for myself. Now that I never make pizza I cook about everyday and it's great for my health in many ways! This is not only because I cut out the junk food, but also because I replaced it with healthy foods.
    For example I sometimes bake some chicken for myself for lunch, but then I add 5-7 different types of vegetables so I have a really varied meal. Probably you also eat a lot of vegetables, and by the way, who am I to tell you to eat your vegetables ;). But it's new for me to cook in this way and I am enthusiastic about it! :)
  • MadDogManor
    Options
    Yeah, I sometimes take a flat out or pita or something similar, add homemade tomato sauce and shredded cheese, maybe even some veggies (not too many or it gets soggy). Bake, then enjoy my quick pizza. I do not consider this to be "real" pizza, tho.

As for real pizza, I've had it once this challenge, and I'm not really missing the salt bloat one bit :-)
  • Goliath1357
    Goliath1357 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Making all my own food and sticking to a meal plan makes it much easier. I do have cravings since my family eats fast food or take out each day, but the fact that I am actually starting to see results motivates me to stick to it.