Lifting and DOMS question....

I've looked on this site and googled my question and can't find the answer to my question anywhere. So, I did my first deadlifts and squats on Friday and I've been really sore all yesterday and today. And I mean REALLY sore like I'm struggling to sit, stand, walk stairs. I think I'll just be doing them once a week to start with as I'll probably need a few more days to recover.

So, next time I do my squats and deadlifts do I stick with the same weight as last time or should I increase the weight slightly. Really not enjoying feeling as sore as this but if it's better to just push the pain I will :huh:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Work through DOMS it makes them feel better.

As for if you increase that depends on the program you are on and what it indicates you should do.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I find that stretching after lifting is key in lessening DOMS because your muscles can get really tight.
  • SezxyStef
    Work through DOMS it makes them feel better.

As for if you increase that depends on the program you are on and what it indicates you should do.

Just doing 5x5, trying to increase strength and retain lean muscle for now while in a deficit

in that case if you got all your reps/sets in yes increase the weight if your form was good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    learn to foam roll.

you should be doing heavy-heavy sets of both squats and dead lifts. in my opinion, you go heavy on one, and light on the other if you want to do both of them on the same day
  • pauliez0r
    pauliez0r Posts: 2 Member
    The good thing about DOMS is it doesn't last long, after a couple of weeks of doing your current program you'll likely find it's gone completely.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I'm pretty new to lifting, but I find that there's really nothing that lessens the DOMS other than time and Advil...rolling, stretching, baths, whatever...doesn't make it better for me. The pain will go away briefly if I use the muscles though...with sore legs, I go for a walk. You need to rest the muscles so they can heal, but some light activity like a walk gets blood flowing to them and they feel better for a little while. It is what it is. I have found though, that the DOMS are less each time. The more I use the muscles, the less they scream. A few months ago, I'd be struggling to walk up stairs after a few body weight squats. Now I can squat with weights and only be a little sore the next couple days. Did my first deadlifts Friday and used some new muscles, so today I'm suffering. I expect it will be better next time and each time after that.

Edit cuz I saw your comment about the Smith Machine--I don't like the smith machine. I find it makes me squat in an awkward position. No give. I much prefer the freeweight.
  • Brianfau
    Brianfau Posts: 3
    When it comes to DOMS, I have found that it doesn't matter if you go up in weight or just stay at the same level... DOMS gets less intense each time until you hardly notice it (after about three weeks of working out that muscle group for me). The real question should be about how good is form right now. If it's good, then try a higher weight, but don't sacrifice form for the higher weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I had this happen about 2-3 weeks into SL 5x5 - my quads were killing me. I bought a foam roller. It was painful but really helped. My quads hated me for about a week and I worked thru it, I was also walking about 5 miles a day to try to help work it out. Stick with it, push thru, I didn't have any pain this week and went heavier.
  • SezxyStef
    learn to foam roll.

you should be doing heavy-heavy sets of both squats and dead lifts. in my opinion, you go heavy on one, and light on the other if you want to do both of them on the same day

Ah foam rolls yes heard about these, sounds painful but will invest in one if helps. Might go lighter on squats then, its a smith machine so maybe the deadlift uses more muscle groups

The SL program has Squats and DL on the same day...you do your weight per your schedule regardless.

and get out of the smith machine....it is awful for your form.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Like other folks have said, foam rolling is a huge win, before and after lifting.

DOMS usually hits me after I've taken a week or two off lifting. I'll sometimes have a little soreness the day after my first lifting session, then it hits me hard two days after. I normally lift M/W/F, and after the 2nd session on Wednesday most of the soreness disappears.

Try some active stretching before the actual lifting, too (e.g. salutations to the sun, and 2 sets of 15 rep body-weight squats before your squat sets). That can really take the edge off and give you some flexibility over the DOMS pain & stiffness going into the lifting.

ETA: Agreed re: the smith machine. Good for calf raises, not much else. ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    I find that stretching after lifting is key in lessening DOMS because your muscles can get really tight.
    I've been asked this same question several times and scientific studies don't show this to be true.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/15/1249.extract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21735398

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CHsQFjAG&url=http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51473281_Stretching_to_prevent_or_reduce_muscle_soreness_after_exercise/file/79e414faa0f7a552b8.pdf&ei=YXxvU6_9B8mNyASd_YLQAQ&usg=AFQjCNH9b_gmDBX9muaMycVQR81wIJGMww&sig2=PrdaSRlA1tztZ1I3X-q_UA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    learn to foam roll.
    I usually agree with you on a lot of info, but disagree here. From my latest research (I did it last year), I've learned that massage and foam rolling doesn't reduce inflammation due to DOMS.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    another vote on foam rolling. best. pain. ever.

edit: we werent talking about inflammation, we were talking about pain. and foam rolling does help on that issue.
  • jasonheyd
    learn to foam roll.
    I usually agree with you on a lot of info, but disagree here. From my latest research (I did it last year), I've learned that massage and foam rolling doesn't reduce inflammation due to DOMS.

I'm not sure about the inflammation but, from personal experience, it definitely helps with the stiffness and pain, especially going into a workout.

I'm not sure the lifting itself doesn't have the same effect, but those first few lifts are a lot less painful if I've taken a little time to use the foam roller beforehand, and that lets me focus on my form rather than focusing on the pain.
  • what's DOMS?
  • jasonheyd
    what's DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Pain you get after exercise that usually hits one to two days after the exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    learn to foam roll.

IDEA Fitness member

in my own personal experience, foam rolling before a work out is a great warm up and a great way to reduce tightness in the muscles. it can also be done post work out to relieve any tightness.
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    The DOMS are temporary at best. I can almost promise you that you'll miss them. I get muscle fatigue, but DOMS rarely happen anymore. I will tell you the same thing I told my husband; protein, water, and activity. You want to rebuild what you damaged and keep blood flow going for healing. If you keep up with these 3 things DOMS will very likely be a thing of your past in the next couple weeks. Don't worry, you'll still get jelly legs and arms.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    I've looked on this site and googled my question and can't find the answer to my question anywhere. So, I did my first deadlifts and squats on Friday and I've been really sore all yesterday and today. And I mean REALLY sore like I'm struggling to sit, stand, walk stairs. I think I'll just be doing them once a week to start with as I'll probably need a few more days to recover.

So, next time I do my squats and deadlifts do I stick with the same weight as last time or should I increase the weight slightly. Really not enjoying feeling as sore as this but if it's better to just push the pain I will :huh:

Doing the exercises in question less often will only increase the pain of Doms, so don't do that. Try light cardio and bodyweight squats to help your muscles adapt quicker.
    Here's a fairly good run down of what Doms is and what you can do about it;

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/what-causes-muscle-soreness-after-exercising-note-its-not-lactic-acid/
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I've been asked this same question several times and scientific studies don't show this to be true.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/15/1249.extract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21735398

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CHsQFjAG&url=http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51473281_Stretching_to_prevent_or_reduce_muscle_soreness_after_exercise/file/79e414faa0f7a552b8.pdf&ei=YXxvU6_9B8mNyASd_YLQAQ&usg=AFQjCNH9b_gmDBX9muaMycVQR81wIJGMww&sig2=PrdaSRlA1tztZ1I3X-q_UA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for the links. I don't know if they actually get tight, but they just feel like they are and stretching for me reduces that feeling a bit.