Spinal Fusion & Working Out

I had a spinal fusion in 2009 to correct double major curve scoliosis. My curves were 65 and 63 degrees. Now I have an almost straight spine, 28 screws, a rod system and 14 levels of verterbrae fused. From T2-L3.

Since I don't have the flexibility of a "normal" spine, I am limited on like crunches and things like that.

What are some good and safe exercises and work-outs that I can do with all this hardware?! :)

Replies

• No one? :(
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    No one? :(

I don't have an answer for you, but my wife had a discectomy and fusion in her neck, and she was able to get some pretty good guidelines both from her surgeon and her physical therapist.

She really doesn't have any restrictions but, although I wouldn't call her surgery minor, it sounds less major than yours. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Your orthopedist should be able to give you exercises that you can do. Randomly asking on a public fitness site, and them having NO ACCESS to what your actual limitations are, wouldn't be the best approach to finding out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • My surgeon actually passed away 6 months after my surgery was done. He actually had told me to do exercises to strengthen my core and my limitations were rugby and joining the NFL, which I have no plans of doing. I had put in the original post about my condition and was only asking for some guidance, not an actual fitness plan to be etched in stone. My "random post" seems random I guess because I am new to this and haven't posted or read through other forums. I thought someone else who has had a spinal surgery would see the TITLE of the post and could offer something that HELPS them.

Thanks for making me feel stupid. I'll figure it out.
  • No one? :(

I don't have an answer for you, but my wife had a discectomy and fusion in her neck, and she was able to get some pretty good guidelines both from her surgeon and her physical therapist.

She really doesn't have any restrictions but, although I wouldn't call her surgery minor, it sounds less major than yours. :)

Thank you.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    ... my limitations were rugby and joining the NFL, which I have no plans of doing.

Yeah, that's what my wife's surgeon said to her as well. :)

Sorry to hear about your surgeon... If you can find another surgeon (maybe out of the same office?), or if you have a physical therapist that you saw after surgery, maybe he/she could give you some starting pointers, just to make sure you're on the right track. My wife's physical therapist gave her a series of exercises to keep up with, so that's been a good starting point.

Assuming rugby and the NFL are your only limitations, then body-weight exercises or a Total Gym are good ways to ease into resistance training. A lot of folks around here will steer you away from the Total Gym (it's definitely one of those home exercise machines that can become an expensive clothes rack), but I found it really helpful when I first started getting back into lifting. You can often find one for short money on Craig's List.

You could also look at something like All Pro's Simple Beginner's Routine (SBR) using light dumbbells rather than a barbell. Barbell would be fine of course, but the dumbbells can be good for building stabilizer muscles, especially if you're very new to lifting.

And I'd say mixing in some basic yoga routine of some sort wouldn't be a bad idea for flexibility, core strength and more stabilizer development. Personally, yoga bores me to tears, but I know I should do more of it. :)