Replies

• rgrspk60626
    Options
    what's DOMS?
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    what's DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Pain you get after exercise that usually hits one to two days after the exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    learn to foam roll.
    I usually agree with you on a lot of info, but disagree here. From my latest research (I did it last year), I've learned that massage and foam rolling doesn't reduce inflammation due to DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

in my own personal experience, foam rolling before a work out is a great warm up and a great way to reduce tightness in the muscles. it can also be done post work out to relieve any tightness.
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The DOMS are temporary at best. I can almost promise you that you'll miss them. I get muscle fatigue, but DOMS rarely happen anymore. I will tell you the same thing I told my husband; protein, water, and activity. You want to rebuild what you damaged and keep blood flow going for healing. If you keep up with these 3 things DOMS will very likely be a thing of your past in the next couple weeks. Don't worry, you'll still get jelly legs and arms.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've looked on this site and googled my question and can't find the answer to my question anywhere. So, I did my first deadlifts and squats on Friday and I've been really sore all yesterday and today. And I mean REALLY sore like I'm struggling to sit, stand, walk stairs. I think I'll just be doing them once a week to start with as I'll probably need a few more days to recover.

So, next time I do my squats and deadlifts do I stick with the same weight as last time or should I increase the weight slightly. Really not enjoying feeling as sore as this but if it's better to just push the pain I will :huh:

Doing the exercises in question less often will only increase the pain of Doms, so don't do that. Try light cardio and bodyweight squats to help your muscles adapt quicker.
    Here's a fairly good run down of what Doms is and what you can do about it;

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/what-causes-muscle-soreness-after-exercising-note-its-not-lactic-acid/
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I find that stretching after lifting is key in lessening DOMS because your muscles can get really tight.
    I've been asked this same question several times and scientific studies don't show this to be true.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/15/1249.extract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21735398

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CHsQFjAG&url=http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51473281_Stretching_to_prevent_or_reduce_muscle_soreness_after_exercise/file/79e414faa0f7a552b8.pdf&ei=YXxvU6_9B8mNyASd_YLQAQ&usg=AFQjCNH9b_gmDBX9muaMycVQR81wIJGMww&sig2=PrdaSRlA1tztZ1I3X-q_UA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for the links. I don't know if they actually get tight, but they just feel like they are and stretching for me reduces that feeling a bit.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've looked on this site and googled my question and can't find the answer to my question anywhere. So, I did my first deadlifts and squats on Friday and I've been really sore all yesterday and today. And I mean REALLY sore like I'm struggling to sit, stand, walk stairs. I think I'll just be doing them once a week to start with as I'll probably need a few more days to recover.

So, next time I do my squats and deadlifts do I stick with the same weight as last time or should I increase the weight slightly. Really not enjoying feeling as sore as this but if it's better to just push the pain I will :huh:

Doing the exercises in question less often will only increase the pain of Doms, so don't do that. Try light cardio and bodyweight squats to help your muscles adapt quicker.
    Here's a fairly good run down of what Doms is and what you can do about it;

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/what-causes-muscle-soreness-after-exercising-note-its-not-lactic-acid/

You beat me to it, almost posted a very similar article. :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Love DOMS! Makes me feel accomplished... Anyway this is not about me!

Should you go heavier? Depends on your form. If that was your first time ever lifting, them perhaps stick to the same weight, be kind to your body and increase on your third session.. Or increase on your third set next time you lift and see how you do. Increase in small increments. Remember form is key to avoiding injuring and working the targeted muscle(s) during your lifting session.

DOMS relief - sometimes a little cardio helps relieve the symptoms or some Advil. Otherwise, time will take care of it.

Welcome to lifting! Have fun :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    learn to foam roll.
    I usually agree with you on a lot of info, but disagree here. From my latest research (I did it last year), I've learned that massage and foam rolling doesn't reduce inflammation due to DOMS.

I'm not sure about the inflammation but, from personal experience, it definitely helps with the stiffness and pain, especially going into a workout.

I'm not sure the lifting itself doesn't have the same effect, but those first few lifts are a lot less painful if I've taken a little time to use the foam roller beforehand, and that lets me focus on my form rather than focusing on the pain.
    Just about any type of activity that's gets blood flowing to the area will help to relieve pain and stiffness. I'm just addressing that foam rolling doesn't help with the actual recovery and reduction of inflammation from DOMS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    learn to foam roll.

IDEA Fitness member

in my own personal experience, foam rolling before a work out is a great warm up and a great way to reduce tightness in the muscles. it can also be done post work out to relieve any tightness.
    If we're talking tightness and warm up, then we're in agreeance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I find that making sure I get a lot of protein the day of and the next day helps the most with DOMS.

Stretching is ehhh for me. Doesn't help, but doesn't hurt either. The foam roller just hurts though :-P
  • rgrspk60626
    Options
    thanks
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just about any type of activity that's gets blood flowing to the area will help to relieve pain and stiffness. I'm just addressing that foam rolling doesn't help with the actual recovery and reduction of inflammation from DOMS.

Probably true, but foam rolling doesn't wear me out like a jog around the block or a bunch of jumping jacks right before lifting might. ;-)
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Just work through DOMS. I get DOMS all the time! No matter if I increase my protein intake, if I stretch or if I foam roll. Think of the pain as muscle growth. Haha let's wobble together!