Started lifting, calories, macros, fat loss...HELP!

Options
rachaee
rachaee Posts: 46 Member
Hey guys,

So I am seriously confused, IV had two sessions with my trainer and while I try to ask him he just sort of says 'just eat this till I tell you otherwise" and I need to understand WHY I'm doing it! So it's not going very well.

Basically he has me on 2000 calories a day, 40/40/20 (I think) but because i don't understand and I despise whole eggs I'm only hitting 1500 and yesterday only 1100! (Bare with me before you yell, I'm trying...it's a huge adjustment!)

My first issue is I havnt eaten meat since I was a kid and hate it and find fish difficult..and while IV tried this week Its a huge struggle...any veggies out there who can help? Trainer says I need to persevere if I can.

Second..I'm 5'5, around 140-147 and have a lot of body fat. I don't understand how doing weights and eating 2000 calories a day are going to get me to the 120 pounds sculpted hottie I want to be! Basically...I'm scared of eating and gaining and just being bugger and because I don't understand the reasoning behind this plan I'm not committing to it.

Is this what I need to be doing for my goal? I know there will be mixed opinions but I'm coming from a cardio, 1200 calorie background and I'm scared. I need some understanding here. I want to be small and lean!

Thank you

Replies

• pottergatedragon
    Options
    Hi,

I don't pretend to be an expert but (pre-MFP) I did lose a LOT of weight by breaking the 'Low Calorie, High Cardio' habit which for all but the most disciplined isn't sustainable. (And I've kept it off for over 3 years).

Firstly, it appears that your trainer is also trying to get you out of that mentality, which to give him credit is correct thing to do. 40/40/20 isn't considered by many to be the optimum weight loss strategy, but will enable you to have a solid muscle base to ensure a lower weight is easier to maintain and will give you the tools to understand what your diet should look like to maintain your loss. However Veggies can struggle to hit protein requirements, especially if you don't like whole eggs.

You don't have to eat meat though to hit your goals - how about omelettes? I love meat but often an 3 egg omelette with 1/2 can tuna, spring onions (scallions) and a chopped chilli ends up being my dinner. Of course there's any number of combinations you can use but this doesn't have any additional fats (other than spray oil) and is yummy.

You can also make burgers out of kidney beans or chickpeas which are cheap and have good protein content.

Lastly, I lost my weight without counting calories. You know what you should and shouldn't eat, and you also know when you're hungry. The best tip anyone gave me was only eat when you're hungry - and I'd advise you to do the same, regardless of how many calories you're 'supposed' to be eating. Once those lifts start to creep up, your body will soon tell you if it needs energy; just be disciplined enough to give it that fuel in the right format, not through highly processed sugars and the like.

Good luck!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't pretend to be an expert but (pre-MFP) I did lose a LOT of weight by breaking the 'Low Calorie, High Cardio' habit which for all but the most disciplined isn't sustainable. (And I've kept it off for over 3 years).

Firstly, it appears that your trainer is also trying to get you out of that mentality, which to give him credit is correct thing to do. 40/40/20 isn't considered by many to be the optimum weight loss strategy, but will enable you to have a solid muscle base to ensure a lower weight is easier to maintain and will give you the tools to understand what your diet should look like to maintain your loss. However Veggies can struggle to hit protein requirements, especially if you don't like whole eggs.

You don't have to eat meat though to hit your goals - how about omelettes? I love meat but often an 3 egg omelette with 1/2 can tuna, spring onions (scallions) and a chopped chilli ends up being my dinner. Of course there's any number of combinations you can use but this doesn't have any additional fats (other than spray oil) and is yummy.

You can also make burgers out of kidney beans or chickpeas which are cheap and have good protein content.

Lastly, I lost my weight without counting calories. You know what you should and shouldn't eat, and you also know when you're hungry. The best tip anyone gave me was only eat when you're hungry - and I'd advise you to do the same, regardless of how many calories you're 'supposed' to be eating. Once those lifts start to creep up, your body will soon tell you if it needs energy; just be disciplined enough to give it that fuel in the right format, not through highly processed sugars and the like.

Good luck!!
    Why are you telling her to eat omelettes if she doesn't like eggs?!?!?

OP-do you like lentils and beans? You can get some more protein from legumes.
  • pottergatedragon
    Options
    It was just encouragement to try different ways of having eggs, as they are fairly versatile and you can cover the flavour fairly easily if you don't like them. I have copious amounts of seasoning (eg black pepper, paprika, cumin) sprinkled on hard boiled eggs, for that reason and to stop it being too 'samey'. OP can try or disregard!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--I'm confused, you are being encouraged to consume 2,000 cals a day and you ate 1,500 cals avoiding eggs. Provide clarity please. Also, I thought you posted another thread similar to this, but, since your profile is set to private makes it difficult to go back through your posts. So, 500 calorie deficit sue to lack of egg consumption? And what, by percentage, is alot of fat?
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In for general advice.

OP - Needing protein but disliking meat and eggs sounds to me like a perfect excuse to eat lots of CHEESE!

Or, yeah, chickpeas and other pulses are awesome. You need a mixture of veggie if you're not eating animal products, because animal products have complete proteins, and veggies don't - so variety is needed!
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I am seriously confused, IV had two sessions with my trainer and while I try to ask him he just sort of says 'just eat this till I tell you otherwise" and I need to understand WHY I'm doing it! So it's not going very well.

Basically he has me on 2000 calories a day, 40/40/20 (I think) but because i don't understand and I despise whole eggs I'm only hitting 1500 and yesterday only 1100! (Bare with me before you yell, I'm trying...it's a huge adjustment!)

My first issue is I havnt eaten meat since I was a kid and hate it and find fish difficult..and while IV tried this week Its a huge struggle...any veggies out there who can help? Trainer says I need to persevere if I can.

Second..I'm 5'5, around 140-147 and have a lot of body fat. I don't understand how doing weights and eating 2000 calories a day are going to get me to the 120 pounds sculpted hottie I want to be! Basically...I'm scared of eating and gaining and just being bugger and because I don't understand the reasoning behind this plan I'm not committing to it.

Is this what I need to be doing for my goal? I know there will be mixed opinions but I'm coming from a cardio, 1200 calorie background and I'm scared. I need some understanding here. I want to be small and lean!

Thank you
    In order to get that toned look you not only need a low body fat percentage but you also need a good amount of muscle or you will just look skinny when you strip the fat away. To build muscle you need to lift heavy weights and you need to eat slightly above maintainance (around 100 calories more) for them to grow because supposedly they won't grow in a calorie deficet. 2000 calories is roughly the maintainance amount for women so it looks like he is having you build lean muscle so you'll look more toned. Protein wise for those looking to build muscle (or maintain while losing fat) the general rule is 1g of protein per pound of body weight and its much easier to get protein if you include animal products in your diet.
  • LadyBos
    LadyBos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, I lost 60 pounds on MFP with a 1200 calorie diet and cardio. I gained 15 back and tried doing the same thing to lose weight and guess what? It didn't work. Pretty sure I messed up my metabolism. So I went to a trainer and she also put me on a higher calorie diet, 40/40/20, and I started lifting heavy. My body fat percentage is down over 6% so far, but my weight is pretty much the same. BUT. I have muscle definition. I can do pushups (and not just the girly ones). My clothes look better.

I will say that it's not been a quick journey and I still have a ways to go, but I am healthier and stronger than I was in my twenties. Trust your trainer.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    First, as a trainer and nutritionist, I EDUCATE my clients as to why I am recommending a specific exercise, calorie amount, and macronutrient split.

Secondly, I set my clients up with macronutrient ratios, calories and perhaps some words about timing (if needed) and allow them to eat what they like! No Personal Trainer should EVER give you a specific meal plan unless they are a registered dietician... that is outside of their scope of practice!

I would suggest that you find a coach who takes the time to communicate with you and make sure that you two are on the same page. (And if you're interested in online coaching, let me know!) Anyone can throw a diet and workout program at you, but personal training really is extremely PERSONAL, so you need someone you are comfortable with.

Good luck!
  • rachaee
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Sorry I wasn't clear...i do like eggs...but I prefer 1 egg 3 egg whites and he would prefer I eat 4 whole eggs...which just doesn't sit right with me...and that's where the extra calories come from that I'm not getting.

I did post a similar thread a week ago but I thought all this would be cleared up for me by now. I'm seeing him in the morning so I think I'm going to ask him that before we train he goes through it all with me because at the moment I'm really struggling!

So are you saying I just have to stick with 2000 and be bigger until I have more muscle...because I feel huge and I hate it...the whole point of this is to get smaller!

I guess I just confused and scared. Thanks for your replies though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Sorry I wasn't clear...i do like eggs...but I prefer 1 egg 3 egg whites and he would prefer I eat 4 whole eggs...which just doesn't sit right with me...and that's where the extra calories come from that I'm not getting.

I did post a similar thread a week ago but I thought all this would be cleared up for me by now. I'm seeing him in the morning so I think I'm going to ask him that before we train he goes through it all with me because at the moment I'm really struggling!

So are you saying I just have to stick with 2000 and be bigger until I have more muscle...because I feel huge and I hate it...the whole point of this is to get smaller!

why do you not want to eat four whole eggs? what is the difference between one egg and four?

I really do not understand that…
  • rachaee
    Options

why do you not want to eat four whole eggs? what is the difference between one egg and four?

Ahaha calories! And fat and cholesterol. When I look online nobody eats 4 whole eggs for fat loss. I don't get it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Ahaha calories! And fat and cholesterol. When I look online nobody eats 4 whole eggs for fat loss. I don't get it.

eh??

I eat four whole eggs a day and in my most recent cut I am down about 8 pounds….

calories in vs calories out = weight loss…not what kind of eggs you eat..

my diary is open ….
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Okay, ask him, and you have another resource in this thread who is a trainer. Also, 4 eggs is probably due to protein content and low cal count. Just MHO. Good luck.
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options

My personal opinion...since you say you still have a lot of weight to lose I would be more focused on cutting the fat then bulking right now and would consume a slight calorie deficet say 1700-1800 calories/day. I would definitely keep up with the weight lifting because by doing so your telling your body to hold onto lean muscle; the whole use it or lose it thing. As for the whole gain muscle and burn fat at the same time thing, your a newbie so you might have that advantage. People will argue that's not possible unless your just starting to lift weights.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thank you

If you are not into eating meat, he needs to understand that. He can't force you to eat meat. He needs to work with you to find the healthiest way to get the nutrition you need. I don't know if he realizes this, but there are other ways to get protein. He is right about one thing. Lifting will help you get there. When you lift, you build muscle. When you build muscle, you burn fat. Lifting is not going to help you gain, and that is a HUGE misconception thrown out there by women. Ladies, LIFTING WILL NOT MAKE YOU BULK UP!! You will build muscle, and that is normal. The reason he is telling you to consume 2000 calories is because you will need them, assuming you're putting the right food in your body. Because you will be working out consistently, you have to continue to eat plenty of good carbs for fuel, protein to help build muscle and to build metabolism, and you need the fiber. Your trainer sounds like he knows what he's doing.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options

y is no one stating the obvious? look into protein powders.. the dymatize line is awesome!
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OP,

Shifting the mindset of food intake is HARD and it can be overwhelmingly scary.

I have well over 100lbs to lose and I have always been the person (before educating myself) that the mantra to weight loss was "diet, diet, diet". Eating over 1000 calories actually produced anxiety for me because I seriously thought "Eat less, lose more" was how it was done. That's all I was ever told.

After years of crash diets I found this place and started learning that if I didn't eat more I was stalling my metabolism and setting myself up to not lose anything! I was F---ing shocked!

Any exercise requires fuel. Demanding one's body to burn "the midnight oil" of calories on an empty tank makes things worse in the long run.

I would suggest you think of this food intake change not as "OMG you want me to eat how much???" to "Eat to Train" You eat what your body needs to sculpt the muscles you are working so hard for.

Now, I don't know a thing about the power lifting/weights/gym trainer. I personally run 3-6 miles a few times a week. So the % of protein and carbs you need I can't say. Your body does need the increase of fuel for what you are doing, (I learned this the hard why and passed out on a run once).

I think with some research you could find the food sources you need for the specifics if there are any foods you dislike now. Your trainer is right about upping the calorie intake to build the muscle and keep your system healthy. I don't think he was in the right to demand a meal plan adherence if he was not a RD.

Don't get discouraged, don't stress out. The life style change you are making is AMAZING :) But the mental shift is HARD. You can do it though!