BMI is getting me down

Options
T_Ciku
T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
I've been exercising regularly for the past month. Unfortunately my diet hasn't been too good so I haven't lost as much weight as I would have liked, but I can definitely see some changes in my body. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago my weight was 59 kgs. Today I measured myself and I have lost some fat around my hips and waist. It's not much but it's progress.

Today I had my BMI checked at the doctor's office and my weight was 61 kgs. I was shocked. And my BMI came out slightly overweight. Apparently I need to get back down to 59 kgs for it to be normal again. I just don't understand. I didn't think I'd have lost all that, but I thought I would have at least seen some tiny change considering my loss of inches. I think I'm building muscle (because my body is looking more toned). So if I am doing it right, gaining muscle and losing fat, why is my BMI coming out overweight? Of course my weight is going up if I'm gaining muscle.

I'm just feeling so demotivated. I know BMI isn't the be all and end all of measuring fitness. But it's hard to feel positive about the changes I have made so far when I'm being told I'm suddenly overweight in two weeks.

Replies

• willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BMI is inaccuate. (Just google that, and you will find many pages explaining this)
    Someone with a lot of muscle and low body fat would be considered overweight/obese per the BMI calculation. it is a guideline only, and not an accurate one.

Focus more on body fat percentage. Better yet, focus more on how you feel (getting stronger with exercise, fitting into clothes better, and being proud of the changes you can see).

Weight loss is about changing your body and your mindset. It is not a quick fix. It is a journey. Enjoy the ride.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No, BMI is accurate. But it's the relationship between your weight and your height. If your weight goes up even for a good reason, like adding muscle, your BMI will go up. Unless you also happened to grow a few inches, which isn't going to happen for most of us.

Did you tell your doctor about exercising and losing inches around your hips and waist? If so, the doctor should have been able to put things in the proper perspective for you.

With or without the Doc, it sounds like you're making progress, Terri.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    BMI is worth something but it isn't for everyone in every circumstance. I for example am overweight at 200 pounds, 85% lean mass, and 6' 4"
  • stephaniebirdy
    Options
    You've got to remember BMI doesn't take in all the facts. If you've been exercising more, the weight gain could be muscular instead of fat. The BMI scale is over 100 years old, and extremely out-dated. Don't let it get you down!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the BMI of rugby players is? ... and they are so unhealthy .. so as you say BMI is not the be_all_and_end_all .. in fact it's a pretty poor indicator of overall health and fitness..

You know that you can and you know how to lose weight, so .. reset and start again... You'll be so motivated when you see those inches fall off again and you can get into those small jeans etc...

So, chin up .. fork down and go for it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Don't use BMI. It's a really newbie way to calculate something which isn't even accurate.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight by BMI yet my body fat percentage is in the healthy range. I have a high lean body mass for my height. This is due to a combination of genetics and doing weight lifting for strength gains. What counts, in terms of both health and appearance, is your body fat percentage. For women, it should be between around 18 and 28% Above 35% is obese. If your body fat percentage is 28% or under then BMI really doesn't count for anything.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to be concerned about your body fat percentage (a better indicator of health) than BMI (muscular people are considered obese even though they have very little body fat).
  • T_Ciku
    Options
    "Weight loss is not a quick fix. It is a journey." Wonderful. Just wonderful. I need to keep that in mind when I'm feeling overwhelmed, or when I'm trying to incorporate everything I'm learning at once.
  • T_Ciku
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who replied. I'll go calculate my bf % and see what it says.