To much protein makes you gain???

Options
Hey all! During the week I like to make breakfast shakes at night for the next morning. I dont do it as a crazy fad etc, its just what works well with my schedule and its much faster and I enjoy them. Im looking into new powders to use since my old one is almost out. Im on a 1200-1400 calorie diet and exercise around 4x a week. The powder I've got my eye one is a brand called Isopure. The specific one im looking at is about 220cal, 0 sugar, 0 carbs and 50g of protein. I've always associated large amounts of protein to bodybuilders. I'm looking to build muscle and shred fat. my only concern is that I've heard through the grapevine that too much protein can actually make you gain weight but I wasn't sure if that was because you're eating too many calories with the protein. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much lean muscle mass you have. high protein intake does not necessary mean you will gain fat or weight.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    personally I consume into the 100+ for protein but I also have a lot of lean muscle mass.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Too many calories make you gain weight. Those calories can be made of anything carbs fat or protein. As long as you're within your calorie goals it will be fine. Just to add you wont gain muscle eating at a calorie deficit you can only hope to retain as much as possible while losing weight
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    there gaining weight or theres gaining muscle which in the long run will help you lose weight and keep it off.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ... Im on a 1200-1400 calories .... I've heard through the grapevine that too much protein can actually make you gain weight ...

1200 to 1400 sound not much, but you hopefully did the math.
    And about the gaining from protein I suggest you look for another grapevine :wink:

Muscles need protein for their growth.
    So technically you could possibly maybe eventually under some circumstances "gain" weight when your muscles are growing.
    But this also depends on your weightlifting program.
    Muscles are good to have and as their density is higher than fat, you might not lose too much weight as per your scale, but you will look slimmer.. Measuring tape will help.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit causes weight loss no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Calorie surplus makes you gain weight no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Idk what you've "heard through the grapevine" but you cannot gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit, so either eat at a surplus to gain weight and build muscle, eat at a deficit to lose weight and cut fat, or eat at maintenance to hold the weight you have and recomp.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    nope, the ONLY thing that causes weight gain is a calorie surplus, in fact protein is the least likely macronutrient to be converted into bodyfat while in a caloric surplus
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without protein. Muscles helps you burn calories while resting. Muscle makes you lose size without losing too much weight.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Calorie deficit causes weight loss no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Calorie surplus makes you gain weight no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Idk what you've "heard through the grapevine" but you cannot gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit, so either eat at a surplus to gain weight and build muscle, eat at a deficit to lose weight and cut fat, or eat at maintenance to hold the weight you have and recomp.

Do you think it is possible for someone to cycle calorie and be able to gain muscle mass and lose fat?
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Protein doesnt make or break your diet in and on itself.

Remember that 1g of protein equals 4 cals. if those cals throw you over your desired rate than yes.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Do you think it is possible for someone to cycle calorie and be able to gain muscle mass and lose fat?
    Not efficiently no. The fat loss and muscle gain is so painstakingly slow that it's much quicker to pick one goal or another. Also if you don't run your diet absolutely perfectly you will likely end up spinning your wheels. I would only recommend someone attempt it after they are nearly their genetic potential for muscle gains.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    That^^^

Calorie cycling will have no different effects as opposed to having a consistent macronutrient target day in and day out. At the end of the week it will average out to the same thing.

I disagree but its ok.
  • vismal
    Options
    That^^^

Calorie cycling will have no different effects as opposed to having a consistent macronutrient target day in and day out. At the end of the week it will average out to the same thing.

I disagree but its ok.
    I think people think they can do it because the devices they use to track body fat are incredibly inaccurate. Also they see professional athletes and body builders do it but they are all using PEDs to accomplish it. I have never seen a natural lifter do a great job of recomposition unless they were in their teens. The science behind it doesn't add up either.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat at least my body weight in protein since I started lifting, and I am still eating in a deficit to lose. My loss has slowed down because I also started eating more, but maintaining a smaller deficit as I get closer to my goal. It is good to keep your muscle, harder to get it back than to keep it in the first place.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I eat at least my body weight in protein since I started lifting, and I am still eating in a deficit to lose. My loss has slowed down because I also started eating more, but maintaining a smaller deficit as I get closer to my goal. It is good to keep your muscle, harder to get it back than to keep it in the first place.

hmmm
  • vismal
    Options

hmmm
    hmm what? It makes total sense. Loss has slowed down because she started eating more. Her rationale for doing so is also sound...
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the key. Now when it comes to too much protein, you're not going to gain weight if you're still in a deficit, and your body just excretes the excess protein. This isn't a big deal if it happens on occasion, but eating significantly more protein than you need over a long period of time can be a bit taxing on your kidneys.

*edited to say that was my understanding form the Nutrition course I just took, but I'm still learning, and there are some great resources if you google scholar it.