5'3 Ladies how many calories are you eating to lose weight??

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
Hello ladies!! I have only lost weight in the past on fad diets or sticking to around 1300 calories and under. I weigh 163 lbs and I just started eating 1600 calories this past week for weight loss, so I have some time to see if it will even work for me.

My question is how many calories do you eat a day and at what rate are you losing weight? Are you active? Just curious...

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1540 is my set goal for .5lb a week. Anything less than that, and I'm miserable.
  • ImmerJetzt
    ImmerJetzt Posts: 3
    Options
    1200 or less
  • xxlaurajxx1988
    xxlaurajxx1988 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Iv been aiming for 1500 and in past 2 weeks lost 3lb and 6 inches overall :) i exercise 4/5 times a week for about an hour at gym also xx
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started at 308lbs, I now weigh 215lbs and I eat 2000 calories a day to lose between 1-2lbs a week (depending on how rigidly I stick to it!).

I tend to have 3-4 workout days a week and always eat back my exercise calories.

My current goal weight is 160bs but I'll see how I look when I get there.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my calories are set at 1420. I don't worry so much if I'm a little over sometimes as long as it all evens out over the week :drinker:
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    I have been eating between 1350-1500. I was losing about 2lbs/week. I had three weeks that I was barely hitting 1200 and my loss stopped, so now that I'm back up, I've lost 3lbs this week. I had to play around with it week by week to find an ideal range. I do about 30 min of cardio about 4 times a week. I'm trying to make this not feel like a diet, so not going for fad's this time around. Good luck!!

ETA: i weigh 163 as well.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5 and normally I exercise 2-4 times a week (but haven't been recently due to surgery) I find there is no notable weight loss for me unless I eat 1300 calories a day or less. I am sure up to 1500 or so i'm losing but very very very slowly. (currently at 163 aiming for 120's)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I lose if I eat under 2000 calories. I lose even faster (like 1-2lbs/wk) when eating 1600 NET. I am very active. I work out 5-6 days/wk, sometimes 2x/day. Oh, and my weight is 112 today (fluctuates between 110-115).
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    1300 and I'm not really active.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1700-1800 and i currently weigh 175
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    AHH I love reading all of these!

Congrats to all of you on pushing and any success you may have had :drinker:

EDIT: You all give me hope! I've been doing it wrong and now focusing on doing it right. Thank you all for that :flowerforyou:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1450, and this is why:

I don't care what the scale says, I'm looking to replace fat with muscle, so I hope to go from 155 lbs to whatever weight will give me around 22% body fat with some muscle and definition. So I'm lifting heavy along with my cardio, and I don't want to cut the calories too much to form muscle quickly.

I arrived at the number by using the TDEE method (scooby's calculator) and subtracting 20%, and by using MFP's .5 loss per week. The first says 1470 and the second says 1430, so I picked the number in between the two.

ETA: Regarding your second question, so far I haven't really lost anything, but I can already see the weight shifting, my butt lifting, more definition in my thighs and calves, and in my shoulders, so I feel like I'm on the right track. I do cardio at least every other day, Stronglifts at least 3x a week, and I do something small with dumbbells or 10 minutes of burpess here and there every single day. I came from being sedentary due to school and work and having no time and I'm working my way up.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options

I don't care what the scale says, I'm looking to replace fat with muscle, so I hope to go from 155 lbs to whatever weight will give me around 22% body fat with some muscle and definition. So I'm lifting heavy along with my cardio, and I don't want to cut the calories too much to form muscle quickly.

I arrived at the number by using the TDEE method (scooby's calculator) and subtracting 20%, and by using MFP's .5 loss per week. The first says 1470 and the second says 1430, so I picked the number in between the two.

^ Basically this. Except you aren't able to form muscle when you're eating at a deficit - doing it this way will help you shed body fat while minimizing muscle loss. But yes, you don't want to decrease your cals by too much cuz then you will lose both fat and muscle!

My goal is also muscle definition, rather than a number on the scale. My own calorie goal is 1600 (TDEE-20%ish). Lifting heavy 3-5 times a week, light cardio 1-2 times a week. My weight has been pretty steady for the past few months, but there are lots of positive differences! In fact, in my profile picture I weigh about the same in both pics - thank you lifting ;)
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a smidge under 5'3". I aim for around 1400 each day but usually go over by a bit once or twice a week. I try to stay below 1800 though (my TDEE). I'm losing about 1lb a week on average.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I net about 1680 a day, but eat 2250 per day.
    5'3", i weighed 160 when i started. Lose about 1/2 lb per week and a half.
  • KylaDenay
    Options

^ Basically this. Except you aren't able to form muscle when you're eating at a deficit - doing it this way will help you shed body fat while minimizing muscle loss. But yes, you don't want to decrease your cals by too much cuz then you will lose both fat and muscle!

My goal is also muscle definition, rather than a number on the scale. My own calorie goal is 1600 (TDEE-20%ish). Lifting heavy 3-5 times a week, light cardio 1-2 times a week. My weight has been pretty steady for the past few months, but there are lots of positive differences! In fact, in my profile picture I weigh about the same in both pics - thank you lifting ;)

OH wow very motivational your profile pic! I want the same thing. I am only worried about the scale, cause in my head it means that I am smaller. However, that is not the case and I am more worried about how my clothes fit and only losing body fat. I am not a part of a gym, so maybe I can start with free weights at home.

You look great!

Matter of fact you all are motivational!
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently 202 lbs. My goal is 1760 calories daily, and I eat back about half my exercise calories. I don't exercise too often other than what walking I do at work. I was stalled for a good month, but then started actually weighing my food and added in some more carbs (I had been doing low carb) and after a week of these changes my scale is now headed steadily downward. (had a woosh and lost 4 lbs this week - woohoo!!)
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" and 212 lb. I eat 2200-2400 calories per day and lose 1-2 lbs per week. I am very active (both job and exercise). I have to eat a lot of food, otherwise I get hungry, feel deprived, crave, binge and give up.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently 202 lbs. My goal is 1760 calories daily, and I eat back about half my exercise calories. I don't exercise too often other than what walking I do at work. I was stalled for a good month, but then started actually weighing my food and added in some more carbs (I had been doing low carb) and after a week of these changes my scale is now headed steadily downward. (had a woosh and lost 4 lbs this week - woohoo!!)

Yes woo hoo!! Good job....it all comes out to weighing food and finding what works best for you.
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my calorie intake is at about ~1430. I exercise 30 minutes a day, 6 times a week but other than that I'm a couch potato.:flowerforyou: