pain in my leg from walking.

Options
So I walk a lot. roughly 13 miles a day. yesterday on the way back from my walk i developed a pain in the right side of my thigh. here's a picture of where the pain is:
http://s566.photobucket.com/user/artsygirl87/media/DSCF2632.jpg.html
has anyone else had this? any ideas of how to deal with it. Today I only walked 6 miles and it feels a thousand times better than yesterday but still acting up. Its more annoying than painful.

Replies

• Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I was having pain on the outside of my leg/hip from running, I found that doing this stretch helped a lot (from runnersworld.com) :

"stretch your iliotibial band by crossing your good leg in front of your sore leg and pushing your painful hip out to the side as you push against a wall. You should feel the tissue tighten along the side of your thigh. Hold this stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. Do this stretch two to three times a day."

Also, it would probably behoove you to take a couple of days off from the distance walking and rest whatever muscle/tendon is irritated. If you take the time to rest a sore spot early you can often avoid having it develop into a real overuse injury (which can take a lot more than two or three days to recover from).

Anyway, that's my amateur advice! :)
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    When I was having pain on the outside of my leg/hip from running, I found that doing this stretch helped a lot (from runnersworld.com) :

"stretch your iliotibial band by crossing your good leg in front of your sore leg and pushing your painful hip out to the side as you push against a wall. You should feel the tissue tighten along the side of your thigh. Hold this stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. Do this stretch two to three times a day."

Also, it would probably behoove you to take a couple of days off from the distance walking and rest whatever muscle/tendon is irritated. If you take the time to rest a sore spot early you can often avoid having it develop into a real overuse injury (which can take a lot more than two or three days to recover from).

Anyway, that's my amateur advice! :)

Thank you soooo much :) Awesome advice I will be taking a few days off and doing stretches :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You walk a half marathon every day?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    13 miles a day? You're lucky your eyebrows don't hurt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? And when you say everyday you mean 7 days a week with no rest day? And why?
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had pain in my leg all day today too my doctor ended up putting me on calcium pills twice a day
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    63663625.png..........

or walk too much till you end up on it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And it felt better today when you didn't walk a half marathon?

I think I've found the source of the problem....

...*and* the solution.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    please look up "rest days".
  • DavPul
    Options

...*and* the solution.

More potent pharmaceuticals?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

...*and* the solution.

More potent pharmaceuticals?

really OP not to be mean but you really did answer your own question. did that not occur to you as you wrote it?
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    I've never walked a marathon before so I have no idea how long they are. Also- when I walk 13.5 miles a day I burn a lot of calories- which is nice because I can eat whatever (with in reason) and still lose weight. I have only been doing this since the 4th of may. friday and saturday were my rest days. When I have days where my leg hurts then I only walk 6-7 miles. I see nothing wrong with walking this much. It is low impact, I have the time it takes (4 and a half hours) and I am more active so I don't really see a problem. I will however adjust if I should start taking vitamins. So far all I do now is drink muscle milk after my walks.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Yep, everytime I experience excruciating pain after overdoing something, my first thought is "I'm going to take some more vitamins."
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Definitely overtraining.

How about walking every other day and lifting some weights every other day?
  • Susanm1943
    Susanm1943 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have nothing constructive to add but I do object to others with tongue in cheek replies. Sometimes it's difficult to see the obvious!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ice and rest. If not better in a week, see a doctor. Hard to tell if this is your back or hip,
    Stretching, yoga and spinning would probably help, too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've never walked a marathon before so I have no idea how long they are. Also- when I walk 13.5 miles a day I burn a lot of calories- which is nice because I can eat whatever (with in reason) and still lose weight. I have only been doing this since the 4th of may. friday and saturday were my rest days. When I have days where my leg hurts then I only walk 6-7 miles. I see nothing wrong with walking this much. It is low impact, I have the time it takes (4 and a half hours) and I am more active so I don't really see a problem. I will however adjust if I should start taking vitamins. So far all I do now is drink muscle milk after my walks.

So even if it is causing excruciating pain you don't see anything wrong with this?

Okay then. Best of luck there.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    its great that youre doing that, but its a bit much, itll put a lot of strain on your muscles, if it hurts, you need to rest a bit. Also dont forget to stretch everyday if youre going to walk that much!
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    Yep, everytime I experience excruciating pain after overdoing something, my first thought is "I'm going to take some more vitamins."

Do you think I should take a multivitamin- or a specific one like calcium- I appreciate all the help, I love walking a lot but I dont want to hurt myself.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight. About a week ago, you decided to walk a half marathon every day, and are wondering why you hurt, and if calcium will help?