What video games do you play to lose weight?

Options
I currently have been playing Just Dance 2014 as my main form of exercise. But, a lot of the music in there isn't really my style. I pretty much have under 15 songs that I can tolerate, but it's more than enough to make a daily "Just Sweat" playlist of 10 songs, so whatever. I was just wondering if anyone plays any other games to get a workout in? I really want to invest in Wii Fit U, but I haven't taken the plunge, anyone have luck with that one?

Also, my fiance has been playing this game called Ingress (http://www.ingress.com/), it's a "massively multiplayer online pervasive game" for Android, made by Google. It pretty much requires you to walk, to certain little landmarks and then take control for your team-- either Blue or Green. Then you unlock little pieces of the plot, videos or recorded messages. It seems pretty interesting and I'm hoping to start playing it today. I have a lot of portals near me, so I'm excited that my guy will want to walk with me, just to put more shields over there, etc.

So, yeah, any video games or apps that have a scoring/video game-like feel to them that anyone can recommend, I'd appreciate!

Replies

• BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use Just Dance too. My daughter handles all the music but I think you can download other songs if you want. Check on that because I think she's downloaded a few others that she likes.
  • FuzzyScribbles
    FuzzyScribbles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I play Zumba Fitness for kinect, I play the small class option and it's 25-30 minutes, music is awesome and I feel great :)
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Amnesia and Outlast. I'm a big wussie so my heart beats like 10 beats a second. It's like doing HIIT! :bigsmile:
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    though i wouldnt call it a mainstay of my exercise routine, stepmania on pc is a fun time. its essentially dance dance revolution, but people make custom step routines for tons of songs, and you can design step sets for any song out there, too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The one where I set the controller down, put on some shoes, and go outside and walk or run.
  • FairlyOddChelle
    FairlyOddChelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use Just Dance too. My daughter handles all the music but I think you can download other songs if you want. Check on that because I think she's downloaded a few others that she likes.
    Yeah, I’ve downloaded songs. It sucks because one that I bought for the 360 version of Just Dance, I was suckered into buying it again for the Xbox One. I wish there was a way to just have all the songs on the same game. The DLC is definitely good, I just wish there was more of it.
    I play Zumba Fitness for kinect, I play the small class option and it's 25-30 minutes, music is awesome and I feel great :)
    I just watched the trailer. It looks intense! And fun.
    Amnesia and Outlast. I'm a big wussie so my heart beats like 10 beats a second. It's like doing HIIT! :bigsmile:
    I have Outlast, haha, but I haven’t tried it.
    though i wouldnt call it a mainstay of my exercise routine, stepmania on pc is a fun time. its essentially dance dance revolution, but people make custom step routines for tons of songs, and you can design step sets for any song out there, too.
    I’ve never even heard of that game! I used to love DDR way back in the day… ah, like, over 15 years ago. But, it uses dance pads, right, with a USB adapter? So, maybe I’d just have to bust out my old, modded PS1.

Thanks everyone!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The one where I set the controller down, put on some shoes, and go outside and walk or run.
    What are you talking about?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^

/thread
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I steal my DH's controller and get him to chase me. LOL! Just kidding. He wants me to try a sports (kinnect? IDK the name) and is setting it up now for fake tennis, bowling and a few others :smile: Anything we do is fun so I'm looking forward to it. I kicked his butt at a friend's house doing wii boxing. I'm an actual kick boxer but he's a gamer so the outcome was up in the air!
  • FairlyOddChelle
    Options
    I steal my DH's controller and get him to chase me. LOL! Just kidding.

That's hilarious!
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    World of Warcraft, 'cause when I play, I forget to eat. HA!
    That's mostly a joke. Mostly.

Xbox One comes with a lot of free workouts by Shaun T and Jillian Michaels, I use those occasionally.
  • FairlyOddChelle
    Options
    World of Warcraft, 'cause when I play, I forget to eat. HA!
    That's mostly a joke. Mostly.

Xbox One comes with a lot of free workouts by Shaun T and Jillian Michaels, I use those occasionally.

Whaaaaaat? I had no idea. I think I've seen Jillian Michaels pop up somewhere in the home screen, but I usually just ignore her. I'll click it next time. How awesome!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do Wii Fit exercise routines that I put together. I also track steps taken with the Wii Fit Meter.
  • FairlyOddChelle
    Options
    I do Wii Fit exercise routines that I put together. I also track steps taken with the Wii Fit Meter.

Cool. I saw the little Wii Fit Meter, looked neat. I liked the yoga and aerobics on Wii Fit, just haven't bought one for myself yet.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    hmm.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mirror's Edge.

I don't lose weight while playing it per se, but it motivates me to try harder at Revolution Parkour classes.
  • dkbrummitt
    dkbrummitt Posts: 21
    Options
    Xbox One fitness. There is something for everyone and the feedback keeps me at max effort throughout with a surprisingly good calorie burn. Definitely a great pick if you need a quick 10-30 min total body workout

Fair warning the HRM offered on Xbone isn't great and calories burned is a fraction of what Polar HRM says. So I stck with Polar since thats their specialty.
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i do all the just dances 3 times a week
    and the biggest loser challenge
    ea more active
    gold gym dance workout
    jillian micheals ultimate fitness

zumba core and zumba fitness party
    all on wii

dvds i di davina fit in 15 and vicky entwistle wow workout

go for long walks
    with some intervival running
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have Just Dance and Zumba core for the Wii. I enjoy Zumba more bc I can just select a short-med-full length class with different intensity. My favorite is either the 20 or 50 min high intensity. Burn loads of calories! I have mostly stopped due to beginning T25 but I think Zumba is more fun.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I play Zumba Fitness on the Xbox Kinect, a 70min class can have me burning up to 700 calories :)