I feel lost.

Options
I weigh 132.5 lbs at the moment and am 5' 1" I would like to lower my body fat and gain muscle, I lift weights 3 days a week and cardio on 2, I have a pretty active job where I am on my feet for at least 6-7 hours lifting pushing and pulling heavy carts and bags. Right now my macros are set at 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat and I am eating around 2139 calories a day, my activity level is figured into my calorie intake so I don't eat back my calories burned. Does this look right or am I doing something wrong? I get confused as to what I should put my activity level at as well. I've been using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to figure out my calories and I use 3-5 hours moderate exercise for my activity level.

I very rarely hit my calorie goal unless its a cheat day and I usually go over.

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, have you lost weight? How long have you been eating at this calorie intake? Are you weighing/measuring your foods, limiting eating out, and logging absolutely everything?
  • mylifemychoice1985
    mylifemychoice1985 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been eating like this for a little over 3 weeks, I weigh and measure all my foods and log them. When I started I was 135.6 and I'm currently weighing 132.5 so I'm losing weight but I guess my real worry is I'm not eating the right combination of foods to gain muscle I'm not looking to get skinny I want to be fit and toned.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    3 pounds in 3 weeks is an excellent pace for someone your size. You're doing great. As far as being fit and toned - the exercise will help you there. 40/30/30 is a good ratio that works for a lot of people. You're doing just fine, keep on keeping on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been eating like this for a little over 3 weeks, I weigh and measure all my foods and log them. When I started I was 135.6 and I'm currently weighing 132.5 so I'm losing weight but I guess my real worry is I'm not eating the right combination of foods to gain muscle I'm not looking to get skinny I want to be fit and toned.

sounds like what you are doing is working out well for you ..

keep in mind that you are not going to build muscle while eating in a calorie deficit..you may get some newbie gainz but these will wear off over time..

once you get your body fat down to an acceptable level for you, you can always go back to eating at maintenance and do a re-comp, or eat in a surplus and do a bulk….
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

keep in mind that you are not going to build muscle while eating in a calorie deficit..you may get some newbie gainz but these will wear off over time..

once you get your body fat down to an acceptable level for you, you can always go back to eating at maintenance and do a re-comp, or eat in a surplus and do a bulk….

i agree with everything ndj has said, but i'd like to clarify that while you won't build a significant amount of muscle, you can and will get stronger. you can build some muscle due to newbie gains and keeping a small deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i agree with everything ndk has said, but i'd like to clarify that while you won't build a significant amount of muscle, you can and will get stronger. you can build some muscle due to newbie gains and keeping a small deficit.

agreed..

you can and will get stronger while eating in a deficit..

strength gains do not equal muscle gains..

also, as you lose body fat your muscles will "show" more so you will have that lean look that you want..
  • Krusix
    Krusix Posts: 1
    Options
    The problem is that you're trying to lose weight and gain muscle mass at the same time. (1.) You you either focus on gaining mass, in that case eat a ton, or cut losing weight, in that case don't eat a ton.

Furthermore, trying to build muscle while doing cardio is not very productive. (2.) So, yeah, I hope this helps, good luck on you fitness journey!

(1.) youtube.com/watch?v=5pkbrTpKaj4
    (2.) reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1nnbjc/how_much_cardio_needs_to_take_place_to_actually/cckd5vo
  • Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mylifemychoice1985
    Options
    Okay so I can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time so which is the best way to do this. should I bulk and then cut so I gain muscle and it will make it easier to lose fat when I cut?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Okay so I can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time so which is the best way to do this. should I bulk and then cut so I gain muscle and it will make it easier to lose fat when I cut?

Id say the order you do it in doesnt really matter and is a subjective choice based on whether you feel you want to lose the fat first or build muscle first. Personally im working on the fat loss first but am still weight lifting for strength gains, retaining my muscle and practicing the routine for when I transition to a caloric surplus and muscle building.

Can still get significant strength gains still and posture improvements from training your CNS through lifting.
  • mylifemychoice1985
    Options
    Awesome as long as there isn't a certain order I need to do this is I will continue with the cut and lifting/cardio workouts and then once I reach the weight I am aiming for I will start bulking. Thanks for the help everyone!