Advice on Becoming a Distance Runner?

Options
amytag
amytag Posts: 206 Member
I've been running now for about 18 months and have decided to set the lofty goal of running a half marathon this year. My original goal was a race on May 3rd, but I backed out after a long winter of too many cookies and too few runs.

I've been back at my training for a couple of months now. To be honest, I know I'm not putting enough miles in. I'm running about 15 miles a week (5 days of 3 miles). Here is my problem - I have some kind of mental block that just shuts me down after about 5 miles. Physically, I think I'm able to keep adding miles to my long run, but my inner voice is a killer.

Any help on pushing through to that next level? Any tips or tricks you have to make the longer miles more enjoyable, less boring, etc?

Replies

• mississippi_runner_girl
    Options
    This is just what works for me... I'm not an expert!

Signing up for a race is a good motivator to get my long runs in. Running really is a mental game and I struggle with pushing through the tough miles as well. The thing that works best for me when I know I have to run a certain distance is running an out and back route. Like if I know I have to do 10 miles, I'll run 5 miles from home and turn around. There's no cutting the run short when I do an out and back. Music helps as well as being properly hydrated and having fuel like gels or shot bloks if you need it.

When a run gets really tough, I'll pick an object in the distance like a light, sign or side street and tell myself ok just make it to that sign and then I just keep doing that over and over.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

-Cut back to 4 days and mix it up. 1 easy, 1 hill day, 1 speed day, 1 longsloweasy day. Example week:
    Monday: 3 miles
    Tuesday: 1 mile warm up. 5 hill repeats. 1 mile cool down
    Wed: rest
    Thursday: 1 mile warm up. 4x400 with recovery in between. 1 mile cool down
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: LongSlowEasy (add a mile or so each week)
    Sunday: rest

You gotta mix it up to keep your head in the game :) You may not be able to add each kind of new run right away. Start with a hill day and then, if that goes well, add a speedy day. Up the number of miles you are doing weekly according to the 10% rule.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good on ya.

1) REST Days are important and part of your training - please ensure that you use them

2) If you can join a running club .. one with normal people in would be great (lots of community running clubs out there - look for one in your area).

3) Don't rush it .. increase your distance slowly (even lower your current pace ... HRM training works, well it does for me)

4) Find a good set of training plans and aim for a race/fun run at your next chosen distance (5Km .. 10 Km ... 10 Mile .. the 1/2 marathon).

5) Don't run when injured or poorly (do something else Cross Train)

4)Have Fun
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Are you following a set plan? Or are you just kind of winging it? There are tons of organized plans out there. Hal Higdon has some really good ones, so does Coach Jenny. Running simply 3 miles 5 times a week is great, but you really should break that up into a more structured schedule.

The speed work is great...however, I am going to step in and suggest to only do one a week if you decide to do it. Speed sessions are great, but they are meant to have you spent afterwards, so doing too many during the week can also lead to injury. My current schedule for my 10 NM race in 2 weeks is this:

Mon: Easy Run
    Tues: XT
    Wed: Speed work (Yassos or hills)
    Thurs: XT
    Fri: Easy Run
    Sat: Rest or LSD (Depending on work)
    Sun: Rest or LSD (Depending on work)

Another consideration you can do for your long runs is bring back walk breaks. That is what I did for my first HM was I walked a minute every mile (which convenently landed on the water stations).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... for my 10 NM race ....

Nautical miles?

Coasties are weird...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any help on pushing through to that next level? Any tips or tricks you have to make the longer miles more enjoyable, less boring, etc?

A structured plan, and for the long runs get off road.

I did a hilly 10K this morning and having done a lot of trail work recently found that most of my position gains were on the climbs. What I did find was that I was losing pace on the descents, so need to do some more training there.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Join a running club, running in a group will make it a lot easier!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you running only on a treadmill?? i can't run more than a mile on a treadmill. but outdoors, i can run much much further.

however, i suck at doing loops. i have a nine mile run planned tomorrow. it shouldn't be a problem, as i've run 10-11 miles in previous weeks. but i need to go out far and then back home. i can't do loops around my high school tack to complete those miles. i'll die of boredom.

also, one trick i've learned in setting up a running plan is to work my way backwards. the week before your half-marathon write down 9 miles. this is your last long run, your taper run. the week before that you write down 13 miles, and the week before that 12... see where i'm going?? before you know it, you're ten weeks back and you're looking at a calendar and going "huh, my long run is only 4 miles this weekend."

here are some good half-marathon training plans, at the bottom of the page: http://www.nyrr.org/train-with-us/training-programs/nyrr-half-marathon-training-program
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    are you running only on a treadmill?? i can't run more than a mile on a treadmill. but outdoors, i can run much much further.

Dreadmills are a great cure for insomnia aye?
  • HMB_87
    HMB_87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing my training for my first marathon in 2 weeks (eek) - I think it helps to break the long run down into shorter chunks. So today I ran 13 miles / 21 km - in my head it was 4 x 5km runs with an extra bit at the end. For me it makes it easier.

Build up gradually - what now seems like a really really long way will after a while become the norm.

Also music really helps, or maybe audiobooks/podcasts.

I also find recording all my runs helps - maybe try Runkeeper or another app where you can set yourself distance goals, that can help give you the motivation to up your distance.

Good luck :)
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Something that worked for me was to increase by time instead of distance. For some reason when I say "it's only five extra minutes" instead of "it's only an extra half mile", I am able to run longer. So I focus on time instead of distance. I increase my weekly long run by minutes, not miles. The miles happen any way but for some reason I can handle running a wee bit longer if I focus on the time. I also try to focus on things going on around me during long runs. I run outdoors so I focus on the animals I see and saying hello to people and oh look that house is for sale now.... Those kind of things keep my mind off of the difficulty of the run and help me to enjoy the scenery that I would otherwise be missing if I was indoors!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was at a point a couple years ago where I couldn't bear anything over 5 miles. So I asked somebody to drop me off 6 miles from home. Once you're there you have no choice but to run back! I found that once I was actually going I was fine, after the first mile I was strong and it occurred to me, hey, I can do 5 just fine! Every couple of weeks I asked my friend to drop me off further from home... after the first mile of the new route, I was back on familiar ground which I knew I could run. ("I ran home from here last week, this is no problem after all!") I found it a lot easier.

Tell yourself speed doesn't matter for the longer runs, take walk breaks if you need them, and music is often handy for distraction.

I agree with what others have said about breaking it down in your head, too. 6 miles is just two lots of 3 mile runs... you run those all the time, no problem! Or even better, three lots of 2 mile runs. 2 is nothing now!

One more thing that pushes me on is the bragging rights. I like to be able to add those longer miles onto my mfp exercise, or tell my friends/family I kicked butt in my run. (I'm lucky, they're very supportive).

Remember that running is often a mental game, make that decision to push through and you'll break so many barriers! Good luck to you! :-)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I do love listening to audiobooks on long runs. Recently I have gone back to really low-tech running, but I would never have gotten through marathon training the first time around without those books :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When a run gets really tough, I'll pick an object in the distance like a light, sign or side street and tell myself ok just make it to that sign and then I just keep doing that over and over.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Find a group or running buddy. If you can run 5mi ok, sign up for a 10K race. The atmosphere will cure the mental block stuff, after that, find a plan and work your way up.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Long runs for me are often mental tricks to keep at it. I mostly do out and backs for long runs. I also break it in half in my head. So at 4 miles out I think ok I am at the 8 mile mark. Music helps some days. After a while the distance will not seem too long just keep at.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts.

You need to book a date and use a set training plan which mixes it up, so you will get there without injury.

Slow down, choose a non-looped run, use music/time & accept the first 3 miles are a PIA that everyone has to get thru to push thru.

You can and you will do it!