Weights after Anorexia?

Options
So I am 4 months into my recovery from Anorexia which almost claimed my life and as a result I lost a lot of muscle and bone density and mass. Now that I am in a healthy weight range and have successfully been re-fed and gaining weight my doctor is now telling me that I need to get into a strength routine with weights/body weights to build muscle again as I have re-gained weight but not enough (In her opinion) of muscle/muscle mass.

I am curious as to what you all suggest? I have put together a plan that I would like to attempt today to start this regiment of strength training:

3 sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise

-Bodyweight squats
-Bodyweight Lunges
-Step Ups with dumbbells
-Bench Press
-Bicep Curls
-Military/Overhead press
- Bent Over Dumbbell rows
Lat Pull Downs
Bodyweight push ups (I have to start while in a semi-push up position with my knees down on the ground as I lack arm strength but would like to eventually start doing full push ups as my strength comes back)

I am planning on doing that as it was suggested I do 2-4 exercises for the leg muscle, 1 for chest, 1 for back, 1 for biceps and 1 for triceps.

I am going to also try power walking on the treadmill on a raised incline as I believe that is good for building leg muscles.

I am also hoping this helps my physical appearance because during recovery I gained back my weight and a few extra but am not worried about m weight. I would like to develop a more toned/healthy look as right now I am pretty much the definition of skinny fat. I lack a lot of muscle and there for definition. My tummy and thighs are especially undertoned. I am not looking to change my weight so I am keeping my calories high and eat a complex carb and source of protein at every meal (Usually 1 cup serving of rice, a side of vegetables and a piece of chicken or a cut of beef/steak) I do eat treats once and a while but try and eat as clean as possible otherwise and am now drinking protein shakes.

Besides for doing this weight training regiment 3x's per week I will also do cardio 4-5x's a week. I am hoping that the combonation of cardio with weights will help me to both gain muscle but also reduce some of the fat % on my body without losing any weight.

I am wondering your thoguths and if it would be an alright idea if I started out at first with no/very light weights so I can focus on proper forum? Will I still gain muscle with bodyweight exercises?

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You absolutely must get your own doctor's approval before you start this. I agree that for you it is good to start with body weight and lighter weights at first. And work your way up. You do not want to put too much stress on your body and heart too soon. So, talk to your doctor. Also, start with only two days a week.

And when you are ready, here is an excellent blog and article on the subject:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hunger-artist/201101/what-weight-lifting-can-do-former-anorexic

Yoga can also be very good for both mental and physical recovery. It keeps you active and strong, but is very gentle and calming for you. Check out the work by Chelsea in this area.

http://intentblog.com/cnn-how-yoga-can-helped-an-anorexic-recover/

Good for you, on your recovery!! :heart:

Also, I know there are other people on here that have done it (and groups). You may find more people in the gaining weight section.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making it to this stage of your recovery. I see your doctor has advised you to begin strength training. Good. Take your plan to your doctor for feedback; you need to protect your heart during this phase. Body weight training is a great place to start, and yes, it will help you build muscle, especially at first. I would NOT add the cardio. Reduce your BF% by increasing your muscle mass - not by trying to lose more fat. Your biggest challenge now is going to be mental. Introducing exercise can give the anorexic mind a whole new toybox to play out its disorder. Be cautious here, share your WHOLE plan with your doctor, and check in with him/her frequently. None of us on MFP are qualified to give you the personal advice you're going to need. Doctor.
  • josiebearly11209
    Options
    Thank you both, ladies!