Blood Pressure Med and Weight Gain

Options
I think my blood pressure med is causing weight gain. I've gained about 5lbs... This is the most I've weighed in 9mths... Nothing else has changed. Does anyone know, if I stop it how long will it take for the weight to come back off?

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Find out if your med is a diuretic or not. If it is, you should be losing. It flushes the salt out and the corresponding water weight. When I use a non-diuretic bp med. I gain about 5 or 6 pounds of water weight.

I doubt that it is your bp med unless you switched from one type to another - in that case, reread paragraph 1.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    No, it's not a diuretic. I read a side effect can be rapid weight gain though.

Does anyone know once I've stopped, how long for the weight to drop off?
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What med are you taking? Is it a beta blocker?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    First off, you shouldn't stop any medication unless directed by your doctor. Secondly, find out for certain if the medication is the problem. If it is then have your doctor refer you to a dietitian to help you setup a plan that will work with the medication. Your doctor may even switch the medication for something else.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm on Cozaar.

I know I shouldn't go off of them but I don't want to keep gaining. I read a lot of BP meds can cause weight gain so idk if a different one would be any better.

I'm eating the same as I always have and still very active(just did a duathlon Sat!) so I can't think of any other reason why I'd be gaining.

I went off them about 5 days ago, my BP atm is 191/121. I'm just wondering how long before the weight comes off