Cross Trainers or Running Shoes?

Options
Hello everyone, I thank you in advance for your advice.

For the first time in my life I am taking fitness seriously. I am currently 5'1 164lbs. I walk in the evenings: 2 miles on concrete and then 2+ mile on a track (uneven hard dirt). I am now able to run one full circle at the track and am working on increasing that. I do one hour on the Epillitacal and thirty minuets on the treadmill, both with high resistance/incline. I have been running on the treadmill for one minute and hope to increase that. I then go and use the weight machines.

When I use the Epillitacal the bottom of my left foot , outer edge, starts to kill me and it continues throughout the night until the following morning.

What type of shoes should I look at, as a flat foot person? I also have noticed I swell up after a workout, should I buy 1/2 a size bigger?

Cross trainers or running? Thanks.

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    For what you're doing, you will want running shoes. And since you are having issues, I would HIGHLY recommend getting fitted and having your gait analyzed at a specialty running shop (vs a store like D!ck's, Foot Locker, etc).

Crosstrainers should be used for workouts that require lateral support (like aerobics and most other classes, and even for lifting), because running shoes have little to no lateral support.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I agree about the getting fitted and analyzed. The running stores I have been too have treadmills and even allow you to go outside to test them out. After getting fitted I did go up a half size. The running stores didn't necessarily have the variety of options I wanted as far as color combos so after being fitted I just ordered online.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    after being fitted I just ordered online.

Please don't do this. At least, not for your first pair. The running shop is taking the time to get you into the proper shoe for your feet (unless you have weird feet, they should give you a couple of options to choose from - last time I went in, I chose from Saucony, Brooks and New Balance). The least you can do to show them your appreciation for their assistance is to buy the first pair from the store (not to mention that you're helping keep a local store in business by purchasing from them).

Plus, most running stores will happily allow to to return or exchange your shoes even after you've used them outside if you're not liking how they feel once you've gotten some miles in (provided you're within their return window...some places are 30 days, others more, others less).

Then, once you know "your shoe", go ahead, buy online to your heart's content....but buy at least that first pair from the running store. :flowerforyou:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    after being fitted I just ordered online.

Please don't do this. At least, not for your first pair. The running shop is taking the time to get you into the proper shoe for your feet (unless you have weird feet, they should give you a couple of options to choose from - last time I went in, I chose from Saucony, Brooks and New Balance). The least you can do to show them your appreciation for their assistance is to buy the first pair from the store (not to mention that you're helping keep a local store in business by purchasing from them).

Plus, most running stores will happily allow to to return or exchange your shoes even after you've used them outside if you're not liking how they feel once you've gotten some miles in (provided you're within their return window...some places are 30 days, others more, others less).

Then, once you know "your shoe", go ahead, buy online to your heart's content....but buy at least that first pair from the running store. :flowerforyou:

And I would have done this but like I said the color options weren't available for me and I didn't want to wear a man's shoe even if it fit. I am a big fan of Yelp so I did give them positive reviews and would return if I had other needs but in this case only two brands fit what I was looking for and the options just weren't available in the store. And because I checked in on Yelp both these stores did offer discounts because of that but can't buy what they don't have.
  • pJohanna
    pJohanna Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
  • pJohanna
    pJohanna Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you.