Ankle Weights Dangerous

Options
Ive seen some post saying they are dangerous...Are they really? They were recommended to my by cheer coaches to help improve jumps and flexibility. I wont be walking or running with them. Im just using them for resistance in cheer and dance related activities.

IE: jumping, leg lifts, kicks, handstand kicks, calf raises

Is this a bad thing? Should I just rely on my own body weight?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea with fast-moving exercises.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Ive seen some post saying they are dangerous...Are they really? They were recommended to my by cheer coaches to help improve jumps and flexibility. I wont be walking or running with them. Im just using them for resistance in cheer and dance related activities.

Google is your friend. Personally, I'd stay far and wide away from them.

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/danger-walking-ankle-weights-13395.html
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Google is your friend. Personally, I'd stay far and wide away from them.

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/danger-walking-ankle-weights-13395.html

Citing a human interest story writer is a danger when "Google is your friend" in the absence of source vetting. Her sources are anecdotal and filled with statements such as "If there's an existing problem, it can make things more difficult" and "If you're healthy and have no joint problems, you may be fine. " (so they are ok for healthy people but may exacerbate existing issues?) Those general statements apply to any exercise program which is why they usually have that legal disclaimer about not starting a workout program without first consulting a doctor.

Applying a little critical thinking to those stresses and desired outcome .. along with understanding what (if any) underlying issues that may exist are necessary to make an informed and intelligent decision. Ankle weights to place additional stress on the body. There are more effective methods of improving jumps and applying additional resistance for calf raises. I've never done a handstand kick so I can't assess their usefulness there.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're using them for, but basically they are either dangerous and/or pointless. You need to make sure your legs are already fairly strong before you use them or you risk serious injury, but if your legs are already strong you won't really see any benefits. They can be useful for certain athletes (I used to use them in gymnastics to train certain moves) but even then they weren't really that helpful. If you're trying to build leg muscles you would be better off lifting regular weights.

ETA: Sorry I didn't read your initial post well. I cheered too, and I wouldn't use ankle weights if I were you. My jumps improved when my leg strength improved, through running and squats, etc. If you are going to use the weights anyway make sure you're on a spring floor or a mat... and stretch your hip flexors really well. The added weight, especially being off balance like that since it would all be centered at your ankle, sounds like a recipe for a pulled muscle.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Citing a human interest story writer is a danger when "Google is your friend" in the absence of source vetting. Her sources are anecdotal and filled with statements such as "If there's an existing problem, it can make things more difficult" and "If you're healthy and have no joint problems, you may be fine. " (so they are ok for healthy people but may exacerbate existing issues?) Those general statements apply to any exercise program which is why they usually have that legal disclaimer about not starting a workout program without first consulting a doctor.

Applying a little critical thinking to those stresses and desired outcome .. along with understanding what (if any) underlying issues that may exist are necessary to make an informed and intelligent decision. Ankle weights to place additional stress on the body. There are more effective methods of improving jumps and applying additional resistance for calf raises. I've never done a handstand kick so I can't assess their usefulness there.

Well, that was the 1st on the list of 75,800 results in the full Google search. Here's the link to the full Google so you can comb out what is and what is not BroScience - and do a full report for us in your spare time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=are+ankle+weights+dangerous?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

I stand by my comment above - I'd stay far and wide away from them. Even if one focused full atttention on the "training effect" by wisely timing the workouts and recovery time needed between sessions, I would steer clear of strapping on ankle weights to improve my cheerleading flexibility and jumps.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Well, that was the 1st on the list of 75,800 results in the full Google search. Here's the link to the full Google so you can comb out what is and what is not BroScience - and do a full report for us in your spare time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=are+ankle+weights+dangerous?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

I stand by my comment above - I'd stay far and wide away from them. Even if one focused full atttention on the "training effect" by wisely timing the workouts and recovery time needed between sessions, I would steer clear of strapping on ankle weights to improve my cheerleading flexibility and jumps.

Thank you for the link. Even without the research to back you up though, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that ankle weights are a bad idea. They put a lot of stress on the back and joints in all the wrong ways. They make even less sense than running with "heavy hands."
  • brianpperkins
    Options

So you just provide a link to the first thing that pops up on Google? (I'm not even going to get into how a biased search term influences the results).

Thanks for the laugh your method of providing "advice" gave me this morning.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options

You're welcome.

Enjoy your strap ons.... ;-)
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You're welcome.

Nice to see you looked as far into my first post in this thread as you did into your google search ... stop at the top.

Ankle weights are not efficient but the injurious talk is anecdotal, not scientific. The Mayo Clinic article (one of the sources in the story you linked) states "Ankle weights generally aren't recommended for brisk walking. Although ankle weights can increase the energy you burn while walking, they may strain the ankle joint and leg muscles, which could increase your risk of injury." Note the use of "may" and "could" without any study or data to support the claims. One of that story's references, The 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, mentions ankle weights one time in a positively spun anecdote.
  • ahamm002
    Options

You're welcome.

Nice to see you looked as far into my first post in this thread as you did into your google search ... stop at the top.

Ankle weights are not efficient but the injurious talk is anecdotal, not scientific. The Mayo Clinic article (one of the sources in the story you linked) states "Ankle weights generally aren't recommended for brisk walking. Although ankle weights can increase the energy you burn while walking, they may strain the ankle joint and leg muscles, which could increase your risk of injury." Note the use of "may" and "could" without any study or data to support the claims. One of that story's references, The 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, mentions ankle weights one time in a positively spun anecdote.

Likewise I haven't been able to find a good double blinded randomized control trial proving that jumping off a bridge could cause injury. I mean sure, there are anecdotes . . .
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You're welcome.

Likewise I haven't been able to find a good double blinded randomized control trial proving that jumping off a bridge could cause injury. I mean sure, there are anecdotes . . .

There is data on injuries and death specifically from plummets off of bridges .... the same type data exists for bathroom slips and vehicular accidents. There is data on the number of hospital visits per year cause by trampoline accidents for children aged 14 and younger. For all of the anecdotal stories about ankle weights, the data supporting the contention that they are injury causing is either nonexistent or well hidden.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options

There's a reason they are cheer "coaches" and not trainers. They shouldn't be used for running, jogging, or walking and also on explosive training (like the ones you've mentioned above) movements. The movement affect the torque and pressure on the ankle joint. And if you screw up your ankles, it affects everything else on the way up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    "They were recommended to my by cheer coaches to help improve jumps and flexibility."

So where is the data that backs up the recommendation by the coach that the OP's flexibility will improve by wearing ankle weights? And that her jumps will improve by wearing ankle weights?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

There is data on injuries and death specifically from plummets off of bridges .... the same type data exists for bathroom slips and vehicular accidents. There is data on the number of hospital visits per year cause by trampoline accidents for children aged 14 and younger. For all of the anecdotal stories about ankle weights, the data supporting the contention that they are injury causing is either nonexistent or well hidden.

the profit driven ankle weight industry is SUPPRESSING THE TRUTH!!! They fill their coffers while YOU suffer. Stay away!!!!
  • ahamm002
    Options

You're welcome.

So you say, but I asked for double blinded RCT's, not biased epidemiology "data."
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You're welcome.

So you say, but I asked for double blinded RCT's, not biased epidemiology "data."

Go conduct one (I realize it might cut into your selfie taking time, but sometimes sacrifice is necessary). While you're at it ... find ANY data on injuries caused per year by ankle weights.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this "are ankle weights" d!ck measuring contest we have going on isn't even important. The real question is not whether ankle weights are *dangerous* but rather are they worth any time, effort, or risk...

And I would suggest that you can achieve great results by many other, well-tested means. So leave the ankle weights be. Why not check out some example workouts that gymnasts and dancers use instead?
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you want to strengthen particular muscle groups involved in movements, there are better ways of going about it. Weighted squats and plyometric drills are two exercises that come top of mind.

All other things being equal, just think about the physics here. Adding weights to your extremities (in this case, the legs) is going to change both your mass and as a consequence, your centre of gravity. This will impact how your body moves in space (speed of rotation, acceleration, deceleration) and the results might not be what you'd intended.
  • xMyOnlyStrengthx
    Options
    Not at all, I was a competitive gymnast and they were a core part of our conditioning! Used correctly there is nothing wrong with them! If they were harmful, they wouldn't be a huge part of athlete's training world wide.