Success stories starting at 300+lbs? I need motivation!

I am in my 20's, Female and 340 lbs.Even writing that makes me cringe.

I have gained and lost alot of weight since I was a teenage, however this is the highest I have ever been and I'm starting to lose hope.

A yr & a 1/2 ago I broke up w my ex who I was w for 5 yrs. Since moving back home, I have gained 80lbs, when I was already heavy to begin with (summer 2012 -265lbs) I saw pictures of me today out to dinner w the fam, and I almost started crying bc I look so incredibly large and unhealthy. My arm fat was peaking out from my sleeve and that has never looked like that before. Im embarrassed.

I started off strong in Feb, lost 14 lbs, worked out everyday, then fell off the wagon HARD.

I'm planing to start my "healthy lifestyle" tomorrow and vowed to get this weight gone once and for all, but I cant help but feel bad when I think about how heavy i let myself become. I am a very smart, talented and pretty girl and there are so many things that I want to do with my life that it terrify's me to think that I'm so handicapped in so many ways bc of my weight. It prevents me from living the life I want to live and I'm so tired of it!

The thing is i know how to eat properly and lose weight, I've lost/gained 100lbs before, but now Im so heavy I feel so awful and almost helpless.

Im starting college Sept 29th and I really do not want to be this big when I start. Im scared that if im still at this weight, I wont go to school bc if how big and insecure I am.

Please, I need all the support I can get. I would love to hear success stores, preferably from woman who started at 300+ and have successfully lost weight. I would love if you can mention the time you started and the length it took you to reach your goal(s) as well.

Thank you so much for reading

xoxo

Replies

• Ackinney91
    Ackinney91 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi tinkerbell,

I, unlike you, have been fat all my life. When I was in 8th grade I weighed 260 pounds. When I started my weight loss challenge with my buddies, I weighed 337. This was the most I had been since junior year of high school when I weighed 360. After that I was put on medication and lost 40 pounds in three months. I have never been able to lose weight on my own.

I started my weight loss journey on April 16th at 337. It is now may 12th, and I've lost nearly 20 pounds. I didn't think I could do it. Then I realized I could and I was my own worst enemy. I stopped drinking soda, started limited my caloric intake to 1600 calories or less, I've upped my activity level, and I rarely eat fast food. I never snack, and I only eat once or twice a day. I have experienced hunger almost every night, but I don't mind it now. I feel like I'm burning fat.

I haven't felt better in my entire life. I have a sense of purpose and for me it's not a question of if I meet my goal, it's when. Though sometimes I obsess and get ahead of myself, it's important to set a realistic goal and strive toward it. Mine was 50 pounds this summer.

The first few weeks are the hardest, but once you get into a routine it's not so bad. Now I even feel as though I eat less, because I've been telling my body no. It's like my body is finally adjusting after consuming poison for so long.

Remember, the only thing prevented you from getting healthy is yourself! If you take responsibility and charge ahead you will succeed. Something else, tell your friends about your journey. It will make you less likely to slip up.

Good luck and I hope I helped!

PS. I log into my fitness pal every single day. I log everything I eat, how much I exercise, etc. I'm addicted to it now. It makes things so much easier. Also, I've been in college so eating is very hard. Not everything I eat is healthy, but I do cut calories. When I have a job this summer I plan on eating healthy. But it's important that you take it little by little otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • I started out really positive and lost 15 lbs but i fell into the purple haze.(chocolate feeding frenzy).I have started back today after a week and a half of gorging .I fall in to the trap ive got so much to lose how can i possibly lose it im useless blah blah .Yes i have a lot to lose 126 lbs but im starting again . Perhaps this is how its going to be on and off.I have struggled with food demons all my life and i am at the stage where i seriously need to battle these demons and win .Any tips and encouragement are so welsome please help .
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Hi,

a singer/songwriter....wow, that's good.

Battling my weight issues too, i have 100 pounds to lose, and been on this mfp for awhile,
    since about March.. i am getting fitter, and i think, slimmer in inches, but not yet on the scales..not panicking..
    as about to try to do lots of exercise and see if that helps. So far, been just taking walks.

Well, you are welcome to be a pal of mine - don't like being big, anymore..and seriously tackling this.

But quite light-hearted person....nice...so hope to hear from you..!!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    hey there, well done on getting started

log and weigh what you eat hun, be honest with what you put in your mouth, many people under estimate what they eat

find an exercise activity that you enjoy, yur more likely to stick to it if you have fun insted of seeing it as a chore

lift weights and not the little pink plastic weights either, lift heavy. hopefully you will have access to the gym when you start school. check out the books new rules of lifting for women or strong lifts 5x5

its going to take time and effort but if you really want it you will get there

my weight loss is from febuary 2013 but had a lot of yo yoing for the first 10 months
  • hol_lou85
    hol_lou85 Posts: 46 Member
    Hello,

i am not yet at the end of my story, however i started November 2012 with a weight of 320. with counting everything i ate, and exercise i have currently lost 152lbs - i have 8lbs left until i am at goal - dont give up. You can do it!
  • thomregan
    thomregan Posts: 25 Member
    Honestly, deciding to start is one of the hardest parts about losing weight, so kudos for taking the first step.

I also started my own most recent bout of weight loss (part of an adulthood long yo-yo, ugh) when I was kind of shocked/angry/disgusted by how far I had let myself go (380 lbs, about 11 months before I got on MFP). And it is good to feel that anger at yourself, and let that be a bit of a motivator to get started, but don't let it keep running you now that you're on your way. Our weight is just one part of who we are as people, and it doesn't have to define us, whether we're fit or not. I started feeling better the moment I started to get on the right track, just because I admitted to myself that there was a problem, but then I knew I was doing something seriously to take care of it, so I was able to let go of a huge chunk of my anger and that bit of self hatred that I think a lot of self conscious overweight people have. People at every stage of my weight loss will either still think I'm gross and fat, think it's great that I've lost a lot of weight and that I should relax on my diet for an hour/weekend/holiday/whatever, or (most likely, because no one notices us as much as we notice ourselves!) just not care about it one way or the other. If you let yourself stay in a negative space, then your whole weight loss experience will, I think, feel negative, and it shouldn't, because if you do it right, then you should feel freaking awesome because you're doing something great for yourself.

Sorry if I rambled, but that's just been my experience! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want someone on the interwebs who'll notice if you're keeping your diary updated and give you a friendly shout if you drop off the face of the planet for a day or two. :D
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Hi! You can totally do this and you will!!! I graduated college weighing around 300 and hung out between 250 (my wedding) and 340 (after baby #1) throughout my 20's. At my highest I weighed 340 lbs. When I got truly serious about losing the weight I was around 315. I had lost some weight following a low carb diet but was overall miserable and felt like I was on a diet every minute.

I decided enough was enough, I needed to lose weight for my health. I needed to be able to move around, play with my kids, live life! This change in my mindset, I believe, made all of the difference. It was no longer truly about a number on the scale but about being healthy, doing what healthy people do. The weight loss was just bonus!

I joined Weight watchers and lost 100 lbs. in roughly 2 years. I lost the majority (first 80+) of this with little to no exercise. I then became pregnant again and gained back some weight but have managed to lose it plus more post pregnancy by following Weight Watchers and using MFP as well. Exercise is now a bigger part of the equation for me but that is as I am much closer to my goal. I now weigh 193 lbs.!! I am about the size I was in 5th or 6th grade at this point! I wear a size 14 and even some 12's. I once wore a 26/28. Some MFP users will poo-poo Weight Watchers because they feel you can do the same thing (just calories and macros vs. points) on here for free. That's true...but some people, myself included, thrive on group support and the weekly weigh-ins with the receptionist there. I have been very successful with WW. I count points and calories/macros. I log in both places (I may be obsessed!). It works for me.

Whatever food plan you choose, be happy, stick with it! You can totally do this. Find something that you feel content with, something you know you can follow for life. Because this will be your new life. Your new healthier life!

I would caution you to make small changes at first. Cut out soda, drink more water, replace some treats with healthier substitutes, go for a walk each day. For me at least, going nuts too quickly would only have resulted in a quicker burnout.

Remember that weight loss is much more about what we eat (calories) then it is about exercise. Exercise is important too, but you may want to focus primarily on your food plan first. You can do this!!

Feel free to friend me!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I started at 336. Just take it one step, one meal, one day at a time. Stick with it and eventually you'll get there.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    I'm not a success story yet, but I feel like I'm your shoes now. I wavered around 300 pounds for years, then I moved/changed jobs/had a lot going on and I gained 25 pounds in a matter of months, which was a big eye opener when I realized I was at 325!

Good luck, I know this will be a tough journey for us both, but I'm certain the journey will be worth it!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    I've been heavy starting in the second grade and by the time I finished college at 22, I was already around 280lbs. When I finally decided to turn things around for the sake of my health, I was 32 and almost 320lbs. I think what motivated me was realizing that the entire time I had been telling myself that I was happy with who I was and at least I didn't have any health problems, the hard truth was that my body was suffering the consequences. At 32, my knees were wrecked, my lower back was wrecked, I had chronic heartburn, gastroparesis/ IBS, high cholesterol, early warning signs of hypertension (BP was starting to turn up a little high on routine checkups), and was getting very concerned about developing Type II diabetes. Although I know some of this could have been exacerbated by PCOS, I know that the main culprit was and always had been my weight. So I decided to do something about it.

I started out on Weight Watchers and eventually transferred over to MFP when I was feeling more confident in my methods. I lost 100lbs and got down to 216 within 2 years (I haven't weighed that since the 8th grade!). I've struggled with a few ups and downs in the 2 years since and am trying to find my way to getting down to my goal weight. However, I consider my weight loss to be a huge success story already. Although some of the damage I did to my body is irreversible, some of it has improved and continues to get better. I have high hopes of getting off of my blood pressure and heartburn medications. I no longer worry about my cholesterol or devloping diabetes. I don't wake up sick to my stomach from the gastroparesis every morning anymore. I'm not in as much pain with my knees or my back. And I've learned that I am so much happier at this weight because I can do things now that I couldn't do before (walk a 5K, get on a rollercoaster, walk into a store and find something I actually want to wear in my size, look in a mirror and not cringe). For me, it has been worth the struggle and it is worth continuing to fight my way down to an even healthier weight.

You have to find the desire and motivation within yourself to do it all again. But it sounds like from your history of ups and downs that maybe you need to focus on a sustainable lifestyle change instead of just on losing weight. The best advice I ever got about losing weight is that you should never do something to lose weight that you aren't willing to continue doing for the rest of your life to keep it off. Another piece of advice -- don't try to force yourself into a bunch of huge changes all at once. Start small and focus on developing good habits as much as you do on losing the weight. It makes it easier to get started when you start small and, the more good habits you develop, the more success will just build on itself without it seeming like such a huge job. Forgive yourself for the past and just start fresh. And, when you make missteps this time around (because you will, everyone does), forgive yourself for those too and just keep moving forward. Every day is a new day to try again!

Good luck!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    All the inspiration you need is right here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/vismal/status