Nothing ever seems possible to stick to....

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_AH
    Mr_AH Posts: 32
    Options
    Your reply is actually worse than your first statement.

Yes I read the thread. And yes it clearly states the OP is not counting accurately which is why he's not losing weight. Because he is not eating in a deficit. So if he is not in a deficit how will eating more calories bring him into a deficit?

How is eating to few calories a concern right now when the OP is actually eating to many calories?
    How is losing weight to fast a concern for lose skin when the OP is not even losing weight?

Next try you try and speak condescending make sure you come strong with your reply.

OP has not been counting his calories correctly, it seems as though he has been guessing the amount that he has been consuming or has been correct in the amount of food but has failed to count everything, including his consumption of wine.

Going by his TDEE (and putting his exercise at three days) then to maintain his weight he should eat around 3000. The general rule is to take off 500 from that total. That amount might be too much, especially if what exercise OP is doing isn't getting his heart rate up so that's where 2200 came in.

I'm smaller than OP and was advised, by several online calculators recommended by people on MFP, to eat 2500 for weightloss. I thought that was far too much and so, after experimenting with what worked, dropped it down.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There are no golden rules or tips that can make you lose weight if you don't really want to. There's no cure getting 'fed up and go back to eating like before', or eating lots of crisps and chocolate and takeaways. And bottles of red wine and drinking most nights.

Basically... you have to decide. Do you want to lose or not, and then when you've chosen to do it, you do it. Right now you've not really chosen to - you know you should, but there's no real effort.

I don't understand your comment about 'struggling to hit 2000 a day'. I'm a 51kg petite female and I could pack away 2000 in a single meal without breaking a sweat (two or three courses, drinking alcohol or a big creamy coffee, dessert...) My usual Costa lunch racks up about 1000 cals. A muffin or donut in the workplace, plus a trip to the vending machine (or three) - another 1000. Your snacks/extras alone could be half of that - 250ml of red wine can be around 228 calories - you drink the bottle? Three glasses, 684. 184 in a bag of crisps, 245 in a Cadbury bar - bam. One day, no meals counted for yet, and you're already at 1113.

I just logged my lunch, and 125 of the calories were just what I nibbled while making someone else's lunch! Seriously. It's not hard to overeat. In our culture it's practically encouraged ('snack time!' 'Buy more snacks!' 'Snacks keep you going!' 'You deserve it!' 'It's just one!')

Step one would be to honestly satisfy your curiosity. Buy a scale and log everything you eat. Keep it private if you wish, just for a figure you can see. You'll see, I dunno, 3000, 4000 maybe. Use a TDEE calculator to estimate how much you burn each day just by being alive and walking the dogs - it'll be X. Now eat less than X. Don't do anything stupid like eating 1200 calories. Just 300 less than X, you're in a deficit, you will lose. But it's not a big deficit. If you want chocolate, factor it into the figures (ie: see my diary, I've had Galaxy today.) If you want crisps, factor it in - but you probably can't afford to 'spend' your calorie budget on both. If you want to drink, drink less.

But really the only advice is that you need to want to. My parents have been obese for years. They talk about losing weight but neither of them want to. They eat rich and big and frequently, cramming in biscuits and crisps whenever they can, pouring lager on top from 4pm onwards. They don't want to change, and that's really the only factor stopping them.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When people say log EVERYTHING you eat it's because you really would be surprised at how much it adds up to. For example, Saturday I went to Costco and they were giving out free samples of a dark chocolate covered dried strawberry. It was a small size, about the side of two marbles. I popped it in and to be honest, it wasn't very good. I got almost done shopping then decided to go back and find out how many calories were in them. Turns out there were 170 calories in only 2 pieces. So I mindlessly added 43 calories and it wasn't even good! If I do something like that twice a day for a week it really adds up! It's those mindless eating things that can really mess you up.

I used to delude myself into thinking "oh, it was just a bite, I don't need to write that down" then I would act surprised that I didn't lose anything. I can't believe I was lying to my food diary as if my food diary would trick my body into not absorbing those calories. lol. Seriously. Who lies to their food diary!? Sooo glad I'm over that phase. I feel so silly that I believed my own lies.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I started off this weekend by logging everything I ate as I usually would. I got to 2500 before my evening meal and didn't even record it! So I was probably eating 3000+ calories easily most days! It's a wonder I'm not bigger than I am!

As others have said, you have to decide for yourself how much you want it. There is no magical solution that works without putting the effort in.