Zucchini and Yellow Squash Noodles

Options
2»

Replies

• lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yum! I think I will have to invest in one of those spirooli's! I usually just chop my squash, so it doesn't look as nice as yours! Thanks
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I do this with my mandolin - love to julienne the zucchini and use it with spaghetti sauce.
    Your dinner looks fantastic! Yum

ETA - I usually put my cooked zucchini on paper towels after cooked to get more moisture out - I steam it most of the time so this takes away the additional water. otherwise you will have a puddle on your plate :)

Truth! I also forgot to add that after sautéing it I put it in a strainer in the sink to get out more moisture. I did include, though, that I pressed it with paper towels inititally.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I made "spaghetti" noodles using yellow squash, a cucumber, a carrot and a red bell (sliced into strips with my mandolin.)

This was my first attempt at the veggie noodles. it worked out good. I used that combination because they were already in my fridge and I needed to get rid of them ;).

The prep time was a little long for my taste (maybe because it was my first time using the slicer.) I quickly learned the harder the vegetable the better (carrot worked best) because the softer yellow squash and cucumber created a "mush (soft pulp and seeds)" which would clog the tool often. The harder carrot produced the longest (unbroken) strands.

I peeled some of the skin on the squash first. I will not do this next time because I think keeping the peel on would have helped with the strands (plus there will be less waste.)

I, then, steamed the veggies. I started with the carrots, bell pepper and the squash because I figured they would need a little more steaming time. I then added the cucumber when I guestimated they initial veggies were cooked enough.

I was a little annoyed at the wasted ends (about an inch of each veggie was wasted because it couldn't reach the blades.) The package advised to use these wasted chunks to make veggie stock but I don't make veggie stock. I'll have to figure out something else.

I split the results with my wife. Despite the veggie waste we were happy to have another way to cook veggies.

I would like to find a way to improve the efficiency of the product but I still give it high scores.

My spaghetti dish:

Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cucumber (8-1/4") 23 5 0 1 3 3
    Carrots - Raw, 0.5 carrot (7-1/2") 15 3 0 0 25 2
    Vegetable - Red Bell Pepper (Raw) (Net Carbs), 1/4 cup 10 2 0 1 2 1
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 0.5 large 26 5 0 2 16 3
    Jennie-O - Lean Ground Turkey - Italian Seasoned, 4 oz (112g) 170 0 9 19 620 2
    Red Sauce, 1/2 cup 50 11 0 2 360 8
    Cheese - Parmesan, shredded, 2 tbsp 42 0 3 4 170 0

Total = 336
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    They look fantastic I have to get one of these for sure..
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    That looks like a lovely chicken and veggie dish.

But thin sliced veggies aren't noodles any more than they are coffee.

Still looks tasty.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just use my cheese grater ..... works perfectly fine.

I cook em with a little butter & fresh garlic.

Serve with meatballs & sauce.... so delicious..... making my mouth water (wipes up drool) might need to make this again tonight !
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have been wanting to try this but didn't know if they worked well. I am so glad you posted this, we will definitely be getting one of those and trying it out.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I made zuke noodles a lot last summer when I had a ton in the garden. I used a mandoline and always squeezed out excess moisture with a colander lined with paper towels. I never cooked mine but would simply add different dressings, sauces... usually Asian inspired ones.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Will definately be getting one of those. My sons might even eat that since they love summer squash and zucchini.