Tough Mudder?

Options
has anyone done a tough mudder,
i was wondering how many weeks off training you did before the event?

Replies

• krisken1
    krisken1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i actually just did a mudderella.. i trained for just a few wks before it.. it was 5 miles and 13 obstacles.. i just did it this past sat.. still every part of my body still hurts ..
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first Tough Mudder now. I have 5 more weeks left. I signed up about 3 weeks ago. If you're doing one, start training now...even if it's next year, start now, lol ;)

And, good luck!
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did my first one last year. Your training really depends on your level of fitness. For me I trained about 8 weeks, mostly running and for stamina. You do need to do upper body training as well for the rings, money bars and walls. Although the distance can range from 12-14 miles, you do get a lot of breaks waiting to complete the obstacles. The electric shocks are not that bad if you move quickly. Arctic enema- take a deep breath, jump as close as you can (don't tip toe in) get under, up and out as fast as you can and you will be fine. It was my biggest mental hurdle. But definitely running and upper body work with prepare you just fine.
    Good luck!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first one in June. I have not been training doing anything specifically, just losing weight and working out. I keep getting told by friends to work on my upper body strength, so I would definately start there!
  • thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    there is one coming up in 8 weeks time, and was wondering if its possible to get in shape in such a short time
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    8 Weeks is plenty of time. 7 to work hard and then I advise the last week you relax, hydrate, get a message and don't get hurt!
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness level. To be honest I didn't train at all for it. But my fitness level was pretty high and my mental game is up there. I found the tough mudder to be a lot more mental than physical.
    If you focus on mostly running you will be good!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Did a Warrior Dash Saturday.... 5k and 12 obstacles. Parts of me hurt that I didn't know I had.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are planning on doing this together next year - can't wait!
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i had the same question as OP - in for the comments / advice.
    thanks all!
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just finishing one isn't super difficult as long as you can run 5-7 miles. You'll have the race day nerves and comraderie which will help your endurance. People help you out on obstacles and if one looks too difficult/scary/dangerous you can always just walk around it and keep going. Now if you want to finish in the top few percent and qualify for "worlds toughest mudder" then you are gonna need to do some pretty intense training.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i did one last year in July. if you already have decent upper body strength and endurance, i'd say 8 weeks is plenty of time. i think somewhere on the site it says that you should be able to do at least 20 push ups, 2 pull ups, and run a 5k.

i was able to finish without having much upper body strength because i had my team helping me - needed a boost over the walls, and a helping hand with everest at the end. there are some things that your team can't help you with, though...like the monkey bars - i earned every single rung of those! in the end, i'd say that the more you can do on your own, the more satisfaction you'll have when you finish.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So far, I've done 2.
    The first one, I trained in extreme fear. Trained for a half marathon in 6 weeks as I'd never run that far before. Then I added in lots of resistance training and kept up the running for 3.5 months. I was in great shape and the mudder was tough, but fun.

The second one, less fear meant less training. I got in what I needed to though, and while it was a bit harder it was still fun.

A few words of advice I can offer
    If you're in reasonable shape, you'll be able to complete the course with determination.
    5 weeks is enough to make a change to make the event more fun than punishment.
    There will be hills to go up. Add in hill training.
    There will be things you need to pull yourself up and over. If you're not a chin up champ, work on them.
    There is a lot of crawling - if you're not already doing planks - add 'em

There will be bananas and water available on the course. Consume them. Average duration is a little over 3 hours. You won't make it through the course happily without the hydration and fuel.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 Warrior Dashes and volunteered recently at a Tough Mudder. I plan to run one in October. I am doing Body Beast now and will start doing the workout routines they have posted on their site at the end of that.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    6 months.