Breakfast question

Options
A lot of the time I'm very rushed in the morning when getting ready and I feel like i don't make the healthiest of choices when it comes to my breakfast.

Does anyone suggest a meal replacement drink that covers all the good nutrition I need?

thanks for any feedback

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time I'm very rushed in the morning when getting ready and I feel like i don't make the healthiest of choices when it comes to my breakfast.

Does anyone suggest a meal replacement drink that covers all the good nutrition I need?

thanks for any feedback

That works for some. For me though eating calories is more satisfying. Try it out & see how you feel. Look for protein, fat, & fiber counts.

I'm not a morning person, so breakfast is prepped the night before just as lunch is.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so breakfast is prepped the night before just as lunch is.

^^This.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Breakfast can be any food. What sounds good to me lately is a chopped salad, cottage cheese and hot drink.
    The salad is already made up in quantity in my fridge, and I use the salad in everything.
    It's just made in a food processor with blade: cabbage, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and fresh lemon juice.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would also try taking some healthy eats to keep at work. Just leave a little earlier and enjoy breakfast at your desk. Hearty hot cereal with nuts and fruit works well. Also recommend cottage cheese, fruit, eggs, etc.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't do meal replacement. What's the point.

However, every so often, I mix up a big batch of eggbeaters with some veggies - spinach, peppers, those type things - and then I griddle up some nice veggie/egg discs, and freeze them. I keep track of everything that goes in, and the number of discs I make, so I know portions and stuff. They end up being about 90cals each.

Then in the morning, I pull one out, microwave it, and put it on a whole grain tortilla. Boom, instant breakfast burrito. Love this.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I chop up all the veggies and such to make smoothies on Sunday.

then each morning I put my 2 eggs in the microwave for 1 min 14 sec. While they cook, I blend the bag of veggies. Breakfast done in 2 minutes.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I don't like the prepared drinks much and would rather throw a quick smoothie together and put it in a to go cup. I have frozen bananas in the freezer, skim milk, protein powder (unsweetened unflavored), a tablespoon or two of chia or hemp seeds. Sometimes I throw in unsweetened cocoa powder or frozen strawberries to change it up. I also have popped a sweet potato in the micro wave and top with cottage cheese or cheese and salsa or lack bean salad (basically whatever I have in the fridge). I put it in a to go container and eat at my desk or if I am not hungry for breakfast I have it as lunch.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why not just skip breakfast and eat a bigger lunch?
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I bring my breakfast to work and eat at my desk. Typically I have a Luna bar (lemon is my favorite flavor!), some Greek yogurt, and some fruit (right now I have been eating about 1/2 a mango chopped and mixed into my Greek yogurt). I prep it in the AM and it only takes a few minutes. Some days I also get by with just a Luna bar (very easy grab-and-go), though that's only 180 calories.
  • mhoffman2007
    mhoffman2007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a simple protein shake for breakfast almost every day on the way to work. 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, and some ice in the blender. It has worked out really well for me and keeps my calories low so lunch and supper can be a bitter larger.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We sometimes prep a week of breakfast burritos and freeze them.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like to eat oatmeal with fruit. I also like egg whites with a dash of garlic salt and dill. Peanut butter toast is quick and easy, yogurt. These are just ideas, I don't eat all this at once, lol.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like light muscle milk or atkins chocolate shakes for those days when I'm not feeling feeling very hungry.

One thing that I enjoy are the frozen kelloggs breakfast sandwiches. They have protein, carbs, some small amount of fat, and are all under 300 calories. I keep them in the work freezer, and microwave. Also, i have greek yogurt at work, and the aforementioned light muscle milk, plus skim milk which I add to coffee instead of creamer. You would be surprised at the protein in 1 cup of skim milk!

I feel better when I have breakfast. I have been seeing a dietician who suggests having a good breakfast in the a.m., especially if you tend to be an evening eater (like me). If you have more calories in the morning, you won't overeat in the evening.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

thats good one...i hear breakfast burritos freeze pretty well
  • staciegruntman
    Options
    Isagenix has some nice protein bars and also I love their chocolate shakes
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

thats good one...i hear breakfast burritos freeze pretty well
    they do. We usually do something like eggs, beans, cheese, or eggs, butternut squash, cheese (and green chile, of course).
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a morning person, waking up early to eat didn't work for me, it made me late to work, so I was buying McDonald's breakfast or donuts for a few months. (bleh). Lately I've been making a shake in the morning, it isn't as tasty as a good cooked meal, but it is the best and easiest way for me to do it. Normally I will do 1 cup of skim milk (can sub almond milk for less calories), some protein powder, a frozen banana and a couple tablespoons of pb2 (peanut butter powder, you could sub normal peanut butter too, it just has more fat). Sometimes I switch it up a bit and do a pineapple/mango/yogurt shake.

And some will tell you not to drink your calories and that you should eat them all, but if you are like me, and covet your sleeping in to the last possible moment in the morning, it is a great way to stay on track, what works for you might not work for them! Good luck!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What about good ol' Porridge?

40g of Oats
    250ml Skimmed Milk
    Circa 3 minutes in the Microwave (with a minute resting time afterwards) & hey presto!?
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I go with the meal replacement drink in the AM, I feel it gets my body started with almost 20 grams of fiber, and 38 grams of protein. I take Ultra fiber DX mixed with Isopure protein. Both are chocolate and they taste great, High fiber helps keep blood sugar stable which aids in weight loss along with a bunch of other benefits. THe drink works well with my busy schedule. 9:00 am is my first snack usually celery or cucumbers. Feel free to look at my diary its open.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling super rushed and don't want a full breakfast I mix a thinner yogurt (not Greek) with my whey protein powder and add some berries, and then grab some raw vegetables, like carrots, to eat on the side. If I wanted to drink it I'd probably do the same with milk/almond milk instead of the yogurt and maybe a banana and spinach instead of the carrots and berries to create my own meal replacement shake, but that my powder would mix with yogurt was a happy discovery, since I prefer to eat breakfast rather than drink it, even if it's essentially the same food.