Protein snacks without the protein powder!

Options
I would love some recipes for pancakes, bars etc that get as much protein as possible, with as little sat fat in as possible, and without the protein powder.
I would LOVE to buy protein powder but my budget just won't allow it (oh to be a student)

Any other cheap recipes you know of for ANY meal would be great too :)

Replies

• mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancakes:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup dry rolled oats
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp agave
    Cinnamon

Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until combined. Then just cook like regular pancakes. They will bubble on top when they are ready to flip! They are pretty tasty! Of course I would prefer the buttermilk pancakes from Cracker Barrell but these are a good, healthy substitute :)

350 Calories
    39 carbs
    6 grams of fat
    32 grams of protein
    4 grams of fiber
  • barabrith2900
    Options
    thank you!

I will have to look up the 2nd to last ingredient :P never heard of it!
    And I'm allergic to cinamon but I'll find something. Adore cottage cheese. Always have some in my fridge!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    thank you!

And I'm allergic to cinamon but I'll find something. Adore cottage cheese. Always have some in my fridge!
    Agave is a sweetener I believe it's like honey and I think honey could be used in place as well.
  • oreoelle
    oreoelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancakes:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup dry rolled oats
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp agave
    Cinnamon

Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until combined. Then just cook like regular pancakes. They will bubble on top when they are ready to flip! They are pretty tasty! Of course I would prefer the buttermilk pancakes from Cracker Barrell but these are a good, healthy substitute :)

350 Calories
    39 carbs
    6 grams of fat
    32 grams of protein
    4 grams of fiber

How many pancakes does this recipe yield?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is your friend.

Otherwise, I make some ricotta pancakes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278100-ricotta-pancakes-300-calories-18g-protein

They are not just 'pretty good', they are delicious, and actually use ingredients you'd use in regular pancakes (no offense to the previous poster - but egg whites and oats just don't make 'regular' pancakes for me, even if they're still pretty good). Even better if you add fruit to the batter.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Can of salmon or tuna. Throw some mustard in if you want. Done.
  • JenCHG
    JenCHG Posts: 74
    Options
    I have tried Agave and Its a great substatute for sugar and Its Like Honey but a little thinner. Also to get more protien in try adding Egg whites.:smile:
    thank you!

Agave is a sweetener I believe it's like honey and I think honey could be used in place as well.
  • JenCHG
    JenCHG Posts: 74
    Options
    Love greek Yogurt thanks for Idea.:smile:
    Greek yogurt is your friend.

Otherwise, I make some ricotta pancakes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278100-ricotta-pancakes-300-calories-18g-protein

They are not just 'pretty good', they are delicious, and actually use ingredients you'd use in regular pancakes (no offense to the previous poster - but egg whites and oats just don't make 'regular' pancakes for me, even if they're still pretty good). Even better if you add fruit to the batter.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Milk. Nestle quik is optional.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    heather_hearts_travel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oo! Looking for similar recipes! Thanks, all!
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    3 regular, nice sized pancakes! And yes, agave is a natural sweetener similar to honey. I like agave because I find you need less to get to the desired sweetness.
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    in for bookmark