WW meetings vs MFP

Options
SO i'm a yo-yo WW person. I've had much success with WW in the past but since they've changed everything it doesn't seem to work for me. The only thing is, I find the meetings a great source of motivation and support. I dont like their points system, and as everyone knows MFP has a much better data base. My question is- does anyone go to WW just for the meetings and then count calories on MFP? Any tricks,secrets, strategy's for this? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Replies

• corbett51
    corbett51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the meetings and what you eat are two separate parts of your weight loss program. Whether you count WW points or MFP calories, you have to track what you eat. The weekly weigh-ins and meetings provide accountability: you don't goof up as much because you know you have to face those people and that scale next week. That accountability element is what's missing (or you have to structure your own system) from MFP. I think you should use the elements that work from all available systems to get what you need. The trouble is you're going to have to pay money to go to WW -- but hey, it's cheaper than liposuction!
  • lomille
    lomille Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track and WW purely for weigh-ins. I need the weigh-ins to stay on track but I like the flexibility of the MFP app.
  • BancroftLady
    BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing..although I have just started two weeks ago, the database for MFP is much better and I am trying to track both but am relying on calories first.. I am liking the meetings for support and accountability.. knowing I have to get on the scale every week is on the back of my mind and a good motivator for me (hopefully)..
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    If you recognize you need the support of others by way of the WW meetings, by all means, go for it!! Like you, I have been on WW more times than I can count, but I am finding I feel more connected to my MFP family and have learned so much in the short time I've been here. My only suggestion is to take pics along the way AND your measurements. The biggest thing I've learned on MFP that I never learned at the WW meetings is to celebrate the non-scale victories. I am no longer dependant upon the scale to determine how well my week was, which was often depressing and probably explains the yo-yo thing. :wink:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable that you'd use MFP/WW that way. There's really no reason not to. However, if you don't want to pay for WW just to go to the meetings, I'd suggest connecting with other users on MFP. Or join a group that does weekly weigh-ins on here. The people on here can be just as motivating as the strangers at a WW meeting, and you often end up with more of a connection because you interact with your MFP friends every day instead of just once a week.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I get everything from mfp that I would get from ww.
    I have the support from my friends just like a meeting would give.
    Plus personally I am never a big fan of "diets" that endorse their own products I.e. ww and sw.
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who go to WW meetings but count kcal in MFP.
    I have never joined WW, and I've only been using MFP for weigh ins, and I've been trying to keep it once a week, and then I can alsways go onto "reports" and make a chart over how I've been doing for the last, I think it's up to 180 days.. I
    That works fine for me as motivation, (and also what motivates me is strenght and mental health, aka being happy). But if you really feel that the meetings do that much for u, keep at it :) Everybody has their own things that motivate them :)