Greek yogurt

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
So I am sitting here eating my Fage Total 2% greek yogurt. I added diced apples to it. Every time I take a spoon full I make a face like it is too sour (its not expired). I love yogurt and I chose this one due to the protein count. It just seems I have to have an acquired taste for this particular brand or greek yogurt in general.

What do you add to your yogurt to spice it up or make it a tad bit sweet? What is your favorite way to eat your greek yogurt?

Replies

• potnoodlez
    potnoodlez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If it is plain greek yoghurt i use a bit of natural honey to sweeten it up or try adding things like banana or raisins which arn't acidic.

hope this helps :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and apples...creamy apple pie =)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is gross. Try adding honey or getting the vanilla instead of plain.
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    I add fresh passion fruit or chinola and alittle fresh local honey. Passion fruit is tart, but it seems to go nice. I wish I could find fage in Canada. The greek yogurt I find here is over processed and has no where near as much protein. Sad face.
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually add a stevia packet or a little sugar in the raw and then my fruit which is usually fresh blueberries or strawberries.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I actually like the taste of the Fage 0%, however, it wouldn't hurt to add some artificial sweetener to it or some naturally sweet berries. Strawberries are pretty low cal and one of my favorite additions.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with chips and salsa all the time. Tastes like sour cream to me.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I like to add a little flaked or ground coconut (unsweetened) to mine, and sometimes some berries. Thawed-out frozen strawberries sweeten nicely because they let out delicious juice.

A little maple syrup or honey is fine too, if you can fit it in your calories. :)

Also, try different brands of Greek yogurt. Some taste better than others-- I've found that a few of the 0% fat ones a yucky while others are fine. I prefer Hannaford's 0% fat Greek yogurt, as well as one that available locally where I am. Also, if you can find it, full-fat Greek yogurt is absolutely amazing, and very filling, so you only need to eat half as much! Cabot makes an amazing full-fat Greek yogurt.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 scoop fun flavored protein powder (grape, ice cream, peanut butter cookie) and 1/2 scoop whey protein crunchies (makes it crunchy like granola). That nearly triples the protein and roughly doubles the calories.

If I just want it sweetened, I add monk fruit extract, or a crystal light packet, etc.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat plain vanilla Fage 0% yogurt every day. Yes, it is VERY bitter without a sweetener. I add 10 ml (10 grams) of sugar free maple syrup to each container. Makes it much better tasting, and only adds 5 calories. 105 calories and 17 grams of protein is the cat's *kitten*!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani flavored greek yogurts. It's all natural ingredients, sweetened with evaporated can juice, and uses actual fruit puree. It tastes really good and is easy to grab and go, or eat for a quick snack.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with chips and salsa all the time. Tastes like sour cream to me.

That was my thoughts. It taste like I am eating apples and sour cream ewww!
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Might be strange, but I just like it plain... if I want to get super fancy, granola :-)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored Greek yogurt. My favorite brands are the Dannon Light & Fit Greek and Yoplait 100 Greek. They are 80-100 calories per serving with 12-13 g protein. There are plenty of flavors - Coconut, Vanilla, Blueberry, Strawberry, Key Lime, etc. I tried plain Greek yogurt and other brands of flavored Greek yogurt and I just couldn't get past the bitterness. Now I use plain Greek yogurt in the place of sour cream, mayo, and in some recipes, but I stick to these two brands of flavored Greek yogurt for eating by itself. It tastes like regular flavored yogurt, only with less sugar and more protein.

Greek yogurt snobs will say it's not "real" Greek yogurt, but I say if the protein content is high and the calories are low, I'm happy as long as it tastes good. I'm not one to eat something I don't enjoy just because it's "healthy."
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Don't eat FAGE. I've tried all of them on the market and each one tastes different. I ended up actually liking the store brand the best. And the price too.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Today was a banana, almonds, and cinnamon. Berries of any variety, peaches, honey...pretty much my top choices.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options

+1

I don't eat yogurt to be sweet. I sub it for sour creme and mayonaise. Most commonly I use it on Mexican dishes like taco salads or mexican seasoned meat bowls.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I Rarely eat Greek yogurt on its own or as a snack. I use Greek puget in replacement of mayo or sour cream. So I make a honey mustard or southwest style salad dressing. Add it to black bean and sweet potato burritos as sour cream. Use it thicken and cream up a stew, etc.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    150g Fage 0%, 15g honey and 25g granola. Best breakfast ever :-) (you need the honey though). Or add salt an pepper and put on a sweet potato, om nom nom.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I added blue berries once, I liked it