Headaches from dieting?

Options
Hello,

I just have a general question and I am sure that has been asked before.. Whenever I start to diet I always get these excrutiating headaches. Is this caused from lack of caffeine? All i drink is water throughout the whole day and maybe a cup of milk at breakfast depending.. And.. does anyone know of any things that alleviate this symptom from dieting besides medicine?? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    why lack of caffein did you cut coffee or pop?
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    :smile: sorry it double posted and I dont know if I can delete it...
  • mandylwilson
    mandylwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and for me it is because of electrolyte imbalance. Often times when we diet we cut out too much natural sugars and salts so our body is not balanced. When we flood it with water, without any electrolytes our body cannot absorb it properly and we just end up peeing like crazy. Try diluting Gatorade; do 3 parts water and 1 part Gatorade. It is not so great for you so don't over indulge, but just try it! It is much better for you than pumping full of Excedrin!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    They could be caffeine headaches if you're accustomed to so much caffeine a day and then going cold turkey. My suggestion would be to wean yourself instead.

If that's not it, my next thought would be you're not eating enough. Rapid blood sugar drops can cause headaches. If needed, get your blood sugar checked to be sure you're not hypoglycemic.

Those are the only two things I can think of at the moment. Good luck!
  • a1topcop
    a1topcop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi and good luck with your weight loss journey. If I had to guess what might be causing your headaches I would say cutting back on your sugar has caused them. I get them and having a piece of hard candy usually eases the headache up or gets rid of it all together. I hope this helps. Take care.
    Cathy
  • nicoleben
    Options
    Both!! haha.. I am a type 1 diabetic but my blood sugars are running normal, actually better than they have ever been!..
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I get wicked headaches when I haven't eaten anything in a while...its my bodies way of telling me to find food. Are you sure you are eating enough?

If you have been consuming a good amount of caffeine before starting your diet, you could be going through withdrawal. You may want to switch to something like tea or coffee to get that fix.
  • nicoleben
    Options
    I think I am going to take my migraine medication for tonight and see if this helps. I know if my body fights through it, the headaches will eventually go away. Thanks for your help!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you cut out. For me, it's sugar and fat. Some days I cut way back on the fat intake (unintentionally) and when I get too little fat in a day it gives me a headache. I would think about what your intake levels were on sugar, salt, caffeine and such before your diet changed and make the necessary adjustments to avoid those initial withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully they will clear up soon! Good luck!
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    Ive noticed that if I drink regular water, I am constantly having bathroom breaks. Ever since I started drinking Stop & Shop brand Electrolyte Enhanced water, I don't have to go as often and I don't get too many headaches either.

I have the same problem and for me it is because of electrolyte imbalance. Often times when we diet we cut out too much natural sugars and salts so our body is not balanced. When we flood it with water, without any electrolytes our body cannot absorb it properly and we just end up peeing like crazy. Try diluting Gatorade; do 3 parts water and 1 part Gatorade. It is not so great for you so don't over indulge, but just try it! It is much better for you than pumping full of Excedrin!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It could be from a variety of things:

* withdrawl from caffine (have a little and see if your headache goes away)
    * too severely limiting your calories (make sure you are getting at least 1200 + exercise calories)
    * going from a large amount of calories to a small amount too quickly (you may need to wean yourself down slowly)
    * not enough carbohydrates/your blood sugar is dropping (your brain needs them to function properly and your body needs them burn fat in a healthy way)

No matter the reason, if they are constant or just are bothering you enough to ask questions on here, you should seek out medical advice from your physician to rule out any serious problems.
  • 0ssum_Bl0ss0m
    0ssum_Bl0ss0m Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It could be caffeine withdrawal but my first thought is that you're probably hungry/thirsty. How much water are you drinking a day and how is your eating going?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually get headaches when I start up a weightloss program...like after each child is born. It's a pain. For me it is more related to the exercise. I get tension headaches the first week or two of dieting, because I usually start exercising at the same time. Stretching and hot baths...and having my spouse massage my neck and shoulders all help.
  • nicoleben
    Options
    I took my migraine meds which have caffeine in them, and a sedative to relax me.. and it worked.. I drink AT LEAST 8 glasse fo water a day if not more.. and i am at 1200 calories a day.. it is a very drastic change against my 4000 cals (at least) a day.. I have cut out all fast food, fruit juice.. Its day 3 for me, so i think it is finally catching up to me, thank you for all your input! :)
  • firmbug
    firmbug Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Non drug help for headache: Sounds crazy but it really works. Cut a lime in half and rub over forehead, it takes headache away, seriously. The cut up lime does work, you'll be surprised! Rub the fleshy part after it is cut over any area you are having pain be sure not to get any juice in your eyes, you don't have to squeeze the lime while rubbing. I get headaches here and there periodically because I have hypoglycemia, so when my sugar levels drop one of the side effects can be headache. This works every time.
  • blondiegoddess
    blondiegoddess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know these posts are from 5 years ago....

I am having awful headaches :( I am eating around 1200 calories per day. Drinking lots of water. Still getting headaches, usually around 12pm and last alllll day.

Any tips?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I know these posts are from 5 years ago....

I am having awful headaches :( I am eating around 1200 calories per day. Drinking lots of water. Still getting headaches, usually around 12pm and last alllll day.

Any tips?

@blondiegoddess See a doctor.
  • blondiegoddess
    blondiegoddess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lol yeah, thanks