YMCA Pool Membership??

Options
So, I love swimming, but don't have a pool. The gym I go to (Planet Fitness) doesn't have a pool and the main gym in the area with a pool (Workout Club), is expensive and I don't really like it...I've been there before. The website for my YMCA says that pool-only memberships are available, but when I went to check out pricing it only showed full membership options. I'm wondering if anyone out there has every had a pool-only membership, which months it runs for, and approximate prices.

I know prices differ from YMCA to YMCA, but I'm just trying to get an overall concensus whether it would be worth it. I'm interested in taking water aerobics and doing laps. I've never had a pool membership before as I grew up with a pool, so I'm not even sure of the logistics of a membership. Can I just show up and get a lane or do I have to register in advance?

I know I can call, but if it's just so far out of my price range I don't even want to bother talking to someone.

If anyone out there happens to be from the Southern NH area and has other suggestions, please let me know.

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My local Y doesn't have pool-only membership. You don't have to pre-book a lane for circle swimming, but you do have to check the schedule carefully to make sure there aren't lessons, classes or swim team practice.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to call to find out pricing. Also if your income is low enough you might qualify for assistance.
    Also with a Y, you usually have to pay a one time maintenance or some other fee, then your monthly fees.

If they also offer it you can pay for a 10 visit pass, or drop in rates. It also depends on your area for cost.

As for swimming I recommend taking a few lessons to improve form. And googling swim lane etiquette.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I work at a YMCA, and none of our network facilities have a pool-only membership. All Y's are a little different, though. I would call and ask, and if it is out of your price range, ask if there is financial assistance available. They won't advertise it, but most Y's have scholarship programs to make memberships more affordable for those who qualify. If you get a membership, ask them for a pool schedule so you can plan your swim sessions. Also, stop in around the time you would like to swim and ask if it is typically busy during those hours. The front desk staff should be able to tell you. Hope that helps a little.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You might also check out local pools in your area at local colleges or public schools. I have a swim pass at my local high school and do my laps there. It's $90 for an annual pass and they have pretty good hours for lap swim. I can usually get a lane to myself.