Help! I lack willpower. Any tips

Options
2»

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    don't want to sound needlessly rough, but if You're "so desperate" that You come here for motivation You're not really desperate yet. :embarassed: When I started I was so desperate that the "I have nothing to lose except fat" attitude helped me through the start before logging calories became part of the eating itself (log immediately after/during the meal).

I wish You all the best, friend me if You want some more harsh motivation :bigsmile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging your meals in advance? Decide at the start of the day, or even the start of the week, what breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be, with an eye toward getting sufficient proteins, fats, and fiber, as those are the macronutrients with the greatest general impact on satiety. If your snacks are your downfall, plan those ahead of time, too.

Don't demonize particular foods, as it often leads to self-hate and spiraling negative eating behaviors when people find themselves eating a food they've labeled as 'bad' (without a legitimate medical condition informing that label). If you want chocolate, account for the calories in your advance log.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I find reading the Success Stories threads very motivating. :flowerforyou:
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Track everything you eat, every single day. It will help you stick to your deficit and also show you where you are going wrong.

Don't try to change too much at one time. Every couple of weeks have a new target when you overcome one bad habit.

If you are really, really craving something - have it. But not too much and then make a deal you will work it off, walk or something to "pay" for it.

Until you are into good habits, avoid eating out. Plan all your meals and make things you really enjoy and will look forward to eating.

Give yourself little treats for every week you are good (clothes, massage, new book, a latte - whatever you like)

I also find that reading the boards and in particular, the success stories, spurs me on when I am losing the will.

Keep busy - stops you thinking of food and means you cannot eat out of habit or boredom.
  • Adderly619
    Adderly619 Posts: 21
    Options
    Well willpower is something you dictate on your own, it all starts to why is your motivation of losing weight in the first place. Use that to keep pushing yourself forward, as for losing 1.5 stone, I would have a suggestion on how you lose about .75 stone(10.5lbs), if you are interested. I actually finished said diet today.

This sounds like an intro to a magic diet pill sales pitch...just sayin.

Anyway, back to the OP. There's a saying that goes round on these boards that's something like: Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard.

Instead of "motivation" and "willpower", which are very fickle things and largely depend on emotions, these days I think about my decisions. Everything I do is my decision, because I am an adult and can do what I like. If I "can't" lose weight, then it's not because it is physically impossible, it's because I chose not to do it. I chose to eat that cake. I chose to drink those 8 pints of cider. I chose not to go for a run. I chose to sit on the sofa all weekend instead of going out and being active.

So it's no-one else's fault but mine if I don't achieve the goals I set for myself. Tough words, but barring any medical conditions, very true! If you really want to achieve something, then you have to take responsibility for your actions and choose to do it.
    Well trust me, I will not try to sell any magic pills, actually I just did a really simple thing of switching my diet around. Granted everyone will get different results from diets, but with mine it helped me keep a steady weight loss.

I personally think motivation and willpower go hand in hand with decision making, as you said you we are all adult and we are responsible. My motivation is to re-enlist, and when I feel like eating out for the day I look at a picture of my in my old uniform which gives me willpower to make the decision to not go and eat McDonalds.

I really do admire the fact that you will own up and taking responsibility for your actions and its something many cant do. Usually in my group of friends they seem to blame everything around them.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ...Instead of "motivation" and "willpower", which are very fickle things and largely depend on emotions, these days I think about my decisions. Everything I do is my decision, because I am an adult and can do what I like. If I "can't" lose weight, then it's not because it is physically impossible, it's because I chose not to do it. I chose to eat that cake. I chose to drink those 8 pints of cider. I chose not to go for a run. I chose to sit on the sofa all weekend instead of going out and being active.

So it's no-one else's fault but mine if I don't achieve the goals I set for myself. Tough words, but barring any medical conditions, very true! If you really want to achieve something, then you have to take responsibility for your actions and choose to do it.
    i really like that. i choose to stop.