MFP Runner's Club - August 13

Options
2»

Replies

• bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I finally was able to go out with the running club last night to test out my knee. I did the whole workout but just walked it and feel fine today! :happy: Next workout I will try to ease back into running. My first 5K was supposed to be on Labor Day. I may just run/walk it and try for another 5K run when my knee is stronger.

Good to be back and to catch up on you all!
    Bunny
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I totally dogged 7 miles tonight. I'm not sure what my problem was, but I completely struggled. Does anyone ever get a sharp pain in their shoulder while running? It is weird - this is the second day in a row that I've felt it. I push through it and eventually it goes away, but it is still odd.

Hessied,

I took your post from yesterdays and posted it here.

I did get them on occasion and they also went away after a few minutes. I found out that it could be due to bad posture while running so I try to stand taller and relax my shoulders when I run.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Ask P90X Dude - he has a forum for questions just like this and I bet he would help (Physical trainer type)

My husband gets this and it is due to uneven muscle build and poor posture, he has to really stretch it out pre and post exercise. Also, there are a few exercises you can try.. but -- I am wondering if you mean a sharp pain or a dull pain, pulling/extending - does it travel? I sometimes get this too and I wonder if it is more than muscle related... hope you get an answer!
    Mireille
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Oh and I did the stationary bike today for 12 miles, run tomorrow!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I finally was able to go out with the running club last night to test out my knee. I did the whole workout but just walked it and feel fine today! :happy: Next workout I will try to ease back into running. My first 5K was supposed to be on Labor Day. I may just run/walk it and try for another 5K run when my knee is stronger.

Good to be back and to catch up on you all!
    Bunny

Bunny,

I was looking up the same issue this morning.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

I figured my new stooooopid shoes were part of my problem :mad: , but weak quad muscles can be the culprit too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I just got the best news!!
    This marathon mom who lives in my neighborhood just e-mailed me asking to join her for morning runs at our local gym!!
    I am so psyched because I could learn so much from her. The last full marathon she ran, she did it in 2hrs 30 minutes!! She's definitely a veteran and I look forward to getting up at 4:30am to run with her!! Getting up at this time will be an adjustment but it will only be 3 times a week. No more running by myself in the dark!!!

Can you feel the floors shaking? That's cuz I'm dancing!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This marathon mom who lives in my neighborhood just e-mailed me asking to join her for morning runs at our local gym!!
    I am so psyched because I could learn so much from her. The last full marathon she ran, she did it in 2hrs 30 minutes!! She's definitely a veteran and I look forward to getting up at 4:30am to run with her!! Getting up at this time will be an adjustment but it will only be 3 times a week. No more running by myself in the dark!!!

Can you feel the floors shaking? That's cuz I'm dancing!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Yeahhhh!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Glad to hear you won't be running in the dark or by yourself. Once you get used to getting up at 4:30 you will probably do it every day. I get up at 4:15 for bootcamp and I can't sleep past 6:00 on the weeknds.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Yeahhhh!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Glad to hear you won't be running in the dark or by yourself. Once you get used to getting up at 4:30 you will probably do it every day. I get up at 4:15 for bootcamp and I can't sleep past 6:00 on the weeknds.

I second that...and what a great running partner you will make for her too! Hey, if she gives you any great info, pass it along....god knows i can use all the help I can get :wink:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    *sigh*, no running for me today, I have baseball tonight, and you may not think it's a workout, but if you try to run the day of a game, you don't have a good game, trust me, I've done it before. So on days like today, I just do some yoga and core work in the morning. it makes me sad though, cuz I would have loved to run today. Looks like tomorrow will be a 5 mile speed run for me.
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options

I second that...and what a great running partner you will make for her too! Hey, if she gives you any great info, pass it along....god knows i can use all the help I can get :wink:

OH I love a good running partner!! You have to keep posting any excellent tips you get. I have been running solo in the mornings..yes in the dark!!! I was running past a grave yard last week in the dark, watching out for zombies and got dive bombed by a bat...YIKES!

Today I had a partner to run with...She is a great runner and pushes my speed. We went about 6 1/2 in 42 minutes. I think I lost a lung!

Happy Running!

ALi
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

How nice for you, and that will take are of the early morning darkness.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Today after work I went to the gym and lifted weights, did core work, and went three miles on the elliptical. It's going to be really hot tomorrow so I have to decide between running in the dark before work, or running on the treadmill at the gym after work. Neither one is a great choice as far as I'm concerned, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Have a great day.:flowerforyou: