Husband needs help

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    When I started working out six month's ago I gained weight from not eating enough

no, you didnt...because....well, science.

OP, tell your husband to calculate his TDEE and just eat 80% of that. there are several great online calculators for this.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    18lbs in a few weeks? I don't get it. What's the problem?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    you don't say what his diet is like, but being in a like circumstance, 6'2", 240, I feel I can address this. Your husband probably is doing what most do, not eating enough good protein calories. When I started working out six month's ago I gained weight from not eating enough and my body thought I was starving and stored fat. Now with proper caloric intake I'm losing weight at about 2.5-3 lbs a week and adding large amounts of muscle. I would suggest a diet of 2500-3000 calories a day for a man his size.

You gained while eating too little???? And now you're adding large amounts of muscle since Feb???

tactical-facepalm_56306.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In, for "clean eating" and spouse-parenting
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    He's losing weight at a more than reasonable rate. Now, he needs to add in some serious resistance training/heavy lifting in order to retain muscle as he drops weight. His current workout isn't going to cut it in that regard. Also, he needs to take a rest day here and there.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For most people, getting in shape and eating healthy is life long commitment. If he is discouraged after 25 days ask him to read some of the success stories here. Other than that, tell him good job; now do it again for twelve months.

I will echo similar sentiments about muscle weight. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to gain muscle. His water weight should be fairly stable after the first few weeks as well. Consistency is very important. If he documents everything he may notice some trends that will help him get the most from his caloric intake and exercise.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Well, 25 straight day of working out at least an hour a day; maybe a rest day is in order. Then again, maybe he could start a thread and ask for advice himself.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is going to be nothing short of epic... We're defying the laws of gravity with this one folks.

tumblr_m23jdiSvwN1r6bq34o1_250.gif
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would ask him if he is weighing and recording his food. Is he also accounting for liquid calories? My husband seems to forget that things like sweetened iced tea and milk has calories.
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    My husband who is 6'6 had a starting weight of 294. The first two weeks he lost 15 pounds and 11.5 inches. Awesome.
    This last weigh in (today) was 2 weeks later. He lost only 3.6 pounds and 3 inches.
    We're eating really good. Almost "clean", well pretty well clean. Lots of fruit, veggies, Greek yogurt, Qia seed and a bunch of other healthy clean things.
    At the gym he's doing 24m on the treadmill and pushing it really hard. And then he does usually a 30m thing on the bike. Along with arms every other day and he does 100 crunches, and 100 scissors/leg lifts.

He's pretty discouraged right now. He pushes himself so much at the gym, and has been going for 25+ days straight.
    He feels like he's doing all this for nothing and I don't know what to tell him. I've tried telling him he's gaining muscle, that the first weigh in was water weight, and that he's still doing great. A loss is a loss
    He just says that a guy his size should be dropping fast and this weigh in reslly killed him.

What can/should I say to him? What can/should he be doing??

Could this be related to his hormones? Or thyroid? My friend has the same issue - no matter how little she eats or exercises, she is still the same, and can't drop a pound. She was told she has a thyroid something, but I also think she has too much of a female hormone oestrogen in her. She also mentioned to me that every time she cuts herself, the wound just wouldn't heal for a long time and puss comes out of it. And although I told her to get checked for diabetes, she refused saying "it just can't be".
    I understand this is difficult for you to encourage him, but maybe it is worth to go to a doctor to see if the problem lies deeper.
    A million virtual hugs to you both! Don't give up!
    Kind regards
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My husband who is 6'6 had a starting weight of 294. The first two weeks he lost 15 pounds and 11.5 inches. Awesome.
    This last weigh in (today) was 2 weeks later. He lost only 3.6 pounds and 3 inches.
    We're eating really good. Almost "clean", well pretty well clean. Lots of fruit, veggies, Greek yogurt, Qia seed and a bunch of other healthy clean things.
    At the gym he's doing 24m on the treadmill and pushing it really hard. And then he does usually a 30m thing on the bike. Along with arms every other day and he does 100 crunches, and 100 scissors/leg lifts.

He's pretty discouraged right now. He pushes himself so much at the gym, and has been going for 25+ days straight.
    He feels like he's doing all this for nothing and I don't know what to tell him. I've tried telling him he's gaining muscle, that the first weigh in was water weight, and that he's still doing great. A loss is a loss
    He just says that a guy his size should be dropping fast and this weigh in reslly killed him.

Could this be related to his hormones? Or thyroid? My friend has the same issue - no matter how little she eats or exercises, she is still the same, and can't drop a pound. She was told she has a thyroid something, but I also think she has too much of a female hormone oestrogen in her. She also mentioned to me that every time she cuts herself, the wound just wouldn't heal for a long time and puss comes out of it. And although I told her to get checked for diabetes, she refused saying "it just can't be".
    I understand this is difficult for you to encourage him, but maybe it is worth to go to a doctor to see if the problem lies deeper.
    Kind regards

Big difference between not dropping a pound no matter what you do and dropping 15 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well, 25 straight day of working out at least an hour a day; maybe a rest day is in order. Then again, maybe he could start a thread and ask for advice himself.

(Maybe he's hanging out with the wife of that other thread (#1285532)?)
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options

Kind regards

Big difference between not dropping a pound no matter what you do and dropping 15 pounds in 4 weeks.

Yea, I understand what you mean. But my friend was trying to lose weight since she was a kid, and she is convinced that eating healthy foods is the only way. So, she seemed to be stuck on 200 pounds for ages. I just think he should see a doctor, just to make sure everything's fine. Honestly, I cannot understand how a person may weigh so much, despite a generally healthy lifestyle - it could be a more serious issue.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    f
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    That's probably the best first 2 pages that I've read in at least 24 hours . . .
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    e
  • lori_oz
    lori_oz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yea, I understand what you mean. But my friend was trying to lose weight since she was a kid, and she is convinced that eating healthy foods is the only way. So, she seemed to be stuck on 200 pounds for ages. I just think he should see a doctor, just to make sure everything's fine. Honestly, I cannot understand how a person may weigh so much, despite a generally healthy lifestyle - it could be a more serious issue.

What are you talking about? Who said he had a "generally healthy lifestyle". He has been at this for four weeks, and in that time has lost 19lb. How is that similar to your friend?
  • Ashleystrickland87
    Ashleystrickland87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry. The "m" means minutes.
  • Ashleystrickland87
    Options

He's not on MFP
  • Ashleystrickland87
    Options
    divorce him and find a new one.
    you look HOT now, it will be very easy to find one.
    :bigsmile:
    or not? but uhhh... thanks?