Wheat free /Gluten free diet

Options
1235»

Replies

• bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Absolutely no point unless you have been diagnosed as a celiac or a gluten sensitivity.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free when you do not have an allergy is a bad idea. The reason being, while there is no gluten, it makes up for it using other ingredients. The sugar and calories are higher than something that would have gluten. So essentially, if you are eating gluten free because of an allergy you are fine, your body has to shift to deal with it. You may not loose weight though. If you are eating gluten free as a 'diet' your body goes what are you giving me and goes into overdrive. Most reviews I have read about it being used as a diet, people have gained weight.

I'm gluten free because I realized I have an allergy. My stomach does not look as swollen and bloated anywhere near as much, my migraines have cut down a wonderious amount, my digestive track is normal for the first time in my entire life, but I have not lost any weight.

diet- bad
    allergy- good

you can always try cutting carbs?

If you go gluten free, you do not have to opt for gluten free products (very over prices), you can just eat other normal food that doesn't have a gluten content (or if un-avoidable a very low content).

I'm just interested as to what health benefits gluten gives us, or on the flip side why would it be unhealthy to gut it out of a diet (when you do not have a recognised allergy)?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    if u switch from beer to vodka, read labels! I dont care how much the purify it.. Ketel one, grey goose, absolut and possible smirnoff (but who cares because it's nasty) is made with wheat. Belvedere is made with rye, so stay away from that too. Ciroc (good ole puff daddy) is made with potatoes!

I had a grey goose cosmo last night and instantly knew i was exposed.. came out and read the label. sure enough.. made from french wheat. so ciroc it will be.

The nocebo effect is strong with this one
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free when you do not have an allergy is a bad idea. The reason being, while there is no gluten, it makes up for it using other ingredients. The sugar and calories are higher than something that would have gluten. So essentially, if you are eating gluten free because of an allergy you are fine, your body has to shift to deal with it. You may not loose weight though. If you are eating gluten free as a 'diet' your body goes what are you giving me and goes into overdrive. Most reviews I have read about it being used as a diet, people have gained weight.

I'm gluten free because I realized I have an allergy. My stomach does not look as swollen and bloated anywhere near as much, my migraines have cut down a wonderious amount, my digestive track is normal for the first time in my entire life, but I have not lost any weight.

diet- bad
    allergy- good

you can always try cutting carbs?

If you go gluten free, you do not have to opt for gluten free products (very over prices), you can just eat other normal food that doesn't have a gluten content (or if un-avoidable a very low content).

I'm just interested as to what health benefits gluten gives us, or on the flip side why would it be unhealthy to gut it out of a diet (when you do not have a recognised allergy)?

If you ever find out, please let me know. All of the arguments I've seen against it that are more than just "because it's a fad" have been the exact same as above and assuming that "gluten free" equates to "replaces gluten products with gluten free analogs." Nix that assumption and what's left? Interestingly, even the "it's a fad" stems from the same assumption most of the time.
  • raintail8
    raintail8 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have been gluten free for a couple of weeks now. I can say that I honestly don't miss it that much. I feel so much better, can think clearer, and generally have a more positive outlook. I think that it has to do with the genetic modification of the wheat crop in order to produce higher yields, because wheat is in such high demand. Although I don't really agree with everything in Wheat Belly, I do think that he is right about genetic modification- it isn't how wheat is naturally, and because we are essentially forcing it to evolve, it is having negative health effects that were not anticipated.
  • trhendersonNC
    trhendersonNC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you ever find out, please let me know. All of the arguments I've seen against it that are more than just "because it's a fad" have been the exact same as above and assuming that "gluten free" equates to "replaces gluten products with gluten free analogs." Nix that assumption and what's left? Interestingly, even the "it's a fad" stems from the same assumption most of the time.

I do not eat wheat or dairy due to dairy allergy and wheat making me sick to my stomach. I do not replace either with substitute products because (a) it isn't necessary and (b) they are ridiculously expensive. Having said that, I have found good luck with the new Paleo fad's recipes as they do not include wheat or dairy.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Personally I say ignore those who are basing their responses on an instant dislike of "fad" diets without regard for its health effects.

As for those who say gluten free doesn't taste good, has bad texture, is ridiculously expensive, etc. - gluten free doesn't require you to simply substitute gluten filled products with their heavily processed gluten free replacements. You can totally enjoy gluten free or grain free, etc. by simply avoiding those kinds of products entirely or for the most part - just eat vegetables, fruits, meats, seeds, nuts, etc. etc. rather than swapping normal bread for gluten free bread, etc. If that's the only problem you have with gluten free I think the OP is fine to try it out for herself.

Exactly.

I do have a gluten intolerance and I've found a huge difference in my general wellbeing when I don't eat it. But I have never purchased gluten free bread or pasta. I just don't eat it. I still have spaghetti sauce but I have it with green vegetables and I love it that way. I have rice crackers with cheese (but I've been eating them for years anyway).

Fresh vegetables and fruit are not dry and tasteless! They are awesome and so much better for you than anything that comes in a packet with a barcode. Buy whatever is in season from your greengrocer and fill your trolley/basket with healthy goodness :smile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good books to read:

Grain Brain - Dr David Perlmutter
    Wheat Belly - Dr William Davis
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

There are no known health-benefits to gluten itself. There are vitamins and nutrients in the foods that contain gluten - and as such going gluten-free means ensuring the diet still contains those vitamins/nutrients in proper quantity.

As for if/why it's unhealthy to cut it out when you don't have an allergy? It's not unhealthy to eliminate it from the diet. There's absolutely no science that shows it is unhealthy to remove gluten from a diet - IF one still gets proper nutrition.

As for if gluten is unhealthy? ... for some individuals it is most-certainly toxic. Advances in research are showing that gluten-sensitivity is a spectrum-disorder. At one end of the spectrum are people with mild intolerance (now referred to as 'Non-celiac gluten intolerance' - which evidence suggests may be degenerative) and at the other end people with advanced Celiac disease (which can include GI damage, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)
  • kelleyblas
    kelleyblas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much... I love your eloquent post. I do not use any substitutes and I just eat whole foods. I dont really think of it as low carb either because my veges and fruits have carbs. I just do not eat grains, sugar or processed foods. It has been the best decision I have ever made health wise and I will NEVER go back.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Advances in research are showing that gluten-sensitivity is a spectrum-disorder. At one end of the spectrum are people with mild intolerance (now referred to as 'Non-celiac gluten intolerance' - which evidence suggests may be degenerative) and at the other end people with advanced Celiac disease (which can include GI damage, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)

Except that the most well-controlled study to date suggests that non-celiac gluten intolerance does not exist.

Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much... I love your eloquent post. I do not use any substitutes and I just eat whole foods. I dont really think of it as low carb either because my veges and fruits have carbs. I just do not eat grains, sugar or processed foods. It has been the best decision I have ever made health wise and I will NEVER go back.
    :flowerforyou:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Advances in research are showing that gluten-sensitivity is a spectrum-disorder. At one end of the spectrum are people with mild intolerance (now referred to as 'Non-celiac gluten intolerance' - which evidence suggests may be degenerative) and at the other end people with advanced Celiac disease (which can include GI damage, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)

Except that the most well-controlled study to date suggests that non-celiac gluten intolerance does not exist.

Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697
    As I posted in the other thread:

It's important to keep in mind this is ONE study only, and of a fairly small number of participants. Granted, it casts doubt on the existence of NCGS, but doesn't confirm that it DOESN'T exist. There are multiple studies which support the idea of NCGS - so it's no 'nail in the coffin' at this point.

What people seem to forget is that we know that celiac is a spectrum disease - from "sensitivity" to "RCD" (refractory celiac disease). RCD is so severe that even with eliminating gluten from the diet these patients fail to improve clinically or histologically.

The idea that a non-celiac gluten sensitivity may exist is supported by the fact that it *IS* a spectrum disease - and it could be a precursor to a diagnosis of celiac if not treated. We don't know this for sure, and it will take further studies - but from a scientific standpoint it's most certainly NOT a stretch at all, and a very valid hypothesis that needs to be researched further.

It's both premature and belittling to tell someone at this point in time their sensitivity is all in their head.