Please review my diet

Options
Hi all

I've been using cronometer (cronometer.com) for a while to track my diet and only recently signed up for MyFitnessPal. This is my first post here so please go gentle! I am looking for someone to review my diet please and make sure that it looks healthy. I haven't posted a list of foods but rather taken a screenshot of my cronometer.com daily report summary on my calories, protein/carb/fat breakdown and vitamin/mineral breakdown etc (I don't have this info in myfitnesspal yet):

http://s17.postimg.org/vbg4rzewf/cronometer.png

I do weights and I'm on a budget so my diet tends to be pretty stable/boring from day to day in terms of the foods I eat since I need them in reasonably large quanitiies. I don't get that much variety from day to day so its pretty important that I get my base diet balanced. I eat a lot of cornbread and cottage cheese for cheap protein and carbs. The screenshot is of my "base" diet on a daily basis.

I'm looking for general feedback on if there are any concerns with eating along these lines. But I also have a couple of specific questions:
- my niacin, sodium and trans-fats are all flagged as too high by cronometer, how much do I need to worry about this?
- some of my vitamins are really really high compared to RDA (eg vitamin C at 660%) even though not flagged as read, again do I need to worry about this/overdosing on any of these vitamins?
- both my sugar and sat fats are marked as under 100%, is there an actual need to hit 100% on these or is 100% more of a "safe ceiling" than a "minimum RDA"?

Any advice on the above or any other sensible changes I need to make to my diet welcome!!

Thanks all

RealDirtySouth

Replies

• realdirtysouth
    Options
    <bump> for anyone with the knowledge and time to spare to review this please
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In order for people to review your diet, you would need to make your diary public so people can better assist you. Even if it's only a few days, we need to see it to see how you've been logging.
  • realdirtysouth
    Options
    "In order for people to review your diet, you would need to make your diary public so people can better assist you. Even if it's only a few days, we need to see it to see how you've been logging."

Hi Angf, thanks for the reply. Did you miss the link where I posted a screenshot of my cronometer macro/micro breakdown? What would be the point me adding a link to my food diary, which lists only basic macros, when the cronometer image posted has a full macro- and mico-nutrient breakdown?
  • realdirtysouth
    Options
    <bump> anyone?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I want the one minute I spent reviewing that link back. It really doesn't contain info that would interest most participants on this site. If you'd like commentary on the healthiness of your diet you would need to show us actual food. Meaning read what that poster who did spend her time responding just told you

If you really want to know about your vitamin intake specifically, ask your Doctor or nutritionist. My lay take is that is you're eating a balanced diet (actual food that maybe you could show us) you're probably good on micro nutrients. Worst case, take one multi vitamin. I've seen people take mega dose vitamins. They probably feel it's helpful but a lot of it is likely being peed right away. The water soluble ones like Vit C get excreted when in excess and only so much calcium can be absorbed at once. Stuff like a it A, though, I hear you probably do not want to consume in excess
  • realdirtysouth
    Options
    OK, it seems that I have overestimated the knowledge of participants on this site then. This is the food and *nutrition* forum after all, but perhaps this is too advanced for people here if you think that seeing that I eat broccolli is somehow more important than my overall macro/micro- nutrient breakdown that I posted.

I will try and find a more informed nutrition forum elsewhere on the web, thank you.

RealDirtySouth
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Did you just post this so you could point out how dumb everyone else is?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I think they just wanted to show off their smarts.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Coolsies. I'm off to the Popular Science chatroom to have a go at the newbs who haven't grasped the theory of quantum entanglement yet.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Coolsies. I'm off to the Popular Science chatroom to have a go at the newbs who haven't grasped the theory of quantum entanglement yet.

Oh you just made me so happy.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    OK, it seems that I have overestimated the knowledge of participants on this site then. This is the food and *nutrition* forum after all, but perhaps this is too advanced for people here if you think that seeing that I eat broccolli is somehow more important than my overall macro/micro- nutrient breakdown that I posted.

I will try and find a more informed nutrition forum elsewhere on the web, thank you.

RealDirtySouth

If you're so smart, why do you need our advice? Why couldn't you figure out your daily needs yourself.
  • fettgeist
    fettgeist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well... to assess your diet besides the micro/macronutrient breakdown, you'd have to provide other information like age, height, current weight and what your goals are. At least so we'd know what your BMR is. Already looking at this, you're eating in excess and you haven't stated why. 2872 / 321 / 90 / 202 ( kcal / carb / fat / pro )

I would just assume you're bulking based off that. So I guess it's an okay diet? If you're trying to maintain your weight I doubt your BMR is anywhere near 2800, so I hope you're bulking.

The application seems to have set targets for you, by the way. You're exceeding them enormously with the minerals, and I honestly don't know enough about them to advise for or against that. I'd ask a doctor.

I'd also try to be less patronizing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

RealDirtySouth

Could be getting your macros and micros from battery acid for all I know

Check your forum name again. You put the asterisks around the wrong word ;)
  • realdirtysouth
    Options

I'm not sure if this is a misplaced attempt at being facetious/sarcastic, but it is misplaced. I am not asking if I am taking any poisons (cronometer doesn't track those), I am asking if my macro and micro nutrient breakdown for a typical day raises any concerns. For these purposes, the foods that make up those macro ad micro nutrients are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I am eating broccolli or donuts or twigs, only the macro/micro breakdown should be of any interest.
    If you're so smart, why do you need our advice? Why couldn't you figure out your daily needs yourself.

I know a little about nutrition. More than some people, less than others. I hoped in a "nutrition" forum to find people from the latter category. This is not panning out so well so far.

No. I posted because I accept that I don't know it all and to try and get feedback from nutrition experts on my macro and micro nutrient breakdown and if there were any concerns.
    Well... to assess your diet besides the micro/macronutrient breakdown, you'd have to provide other information like age, height, current weight and what your goals are. At least so we'd know what your BMR is. Already looking at this, you're eating in excess and you haven't stated why. 2872 / 321 / 90 / 202 ( kcal / carb / fat / pro ). I would just assume you're bulking based off that. So I guess it's an okay diet? If you're trying to maintain your weight I doubt your BMR is anywhere near 2800, so I hope you're bulking.

I am 28 years old, my current weight is 155lb. My goal is to bulk to about 190lbs eventually but I appreciate that this will take a long bulk. As you guessed, I am indeed bulking currently, hence the high calories.
    The application seems to have set targets for you, by the way. You're exceeding them enormously with the minerals, and I honestly don't know enough about them to advise for or against that. I'd ask a doctor.

The application has set targets for me, yes. I am exceeding them with minerals, yes. Not deliberately, but because it is very difficult to meet my macro targets without dramatically exceeding my micro targets. For example chicken is a very plain protein, but by eating one chicken breast I hit 100% of my niacin target for the day, leaving it difficult for me to make up the rest of my protein targets without exceeding my niacin RDA. The same with my sodium etc.

You are not pointing anything out to me that I am not aware of though. I'm asking if its a big problem that I am exceeding some of those vitamin and mineral thresholds or if it is OK and the RDA is just a minimum that you can safely exceed. I am guessing from the fact that niacin and sodium in particular are flagged red that these are the ones that may present an overdose risk? It would not be possible for me to hit my macro targets without exceeding at least some of my macros.

I am hoping for input from a qualified nutritionist on these forums to answer my original questions, as posted. I hope the above clarification helps...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed..... no-one can check if your micros or macros are in balance or not unless your diary is open

btw I agree with you re it's the overall balance of the diet that counts, not the individual foods in it

btw #2: it's extremely difficult to exceed safe limits of micronutrients if you're eating food and not taking vitamin supplements. Bears liver is an exception in that you can get a toxic dose in vitamin A from it, but it's not exactly something that's commonly eaten. Pregnant women need to be a little more careful with vitamin A, because a toxic dose for a foetus is quite a lot lower than that for an adult male in his prime.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You are making this WAY HAY HAY harder than it has to be.

You plan to count macros, micro's and apparently mini micro's and micro mini's too?

You plan to worry not just about meeting those but also exceeding them?

You are working yourself into a tizzy and taking it out forum members. Please walk yourself to the Time Out chair.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the best advice for ensuring you're getting enough micronutrients is to eat a wide variety of different foods, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (a variety of them, not the same ones every time) - also get enough exposure to the sun to produce vitamin D, as it's not always possible to get enough from food alone. As I said, it's nearly impossible to get a lethal dose of any micronutrient from food alone, provided you steer clear of the livers of some animals (I think it's all carnivores, but maybe it's just some of them). Too much insect larvae may also result in vitamin A toxicity....

Don't eliminate entire food groups... e.g. if you eliminate fat from your diet then you also eliminate fat soluble vitamins.

The food you eat for micronutrients needs to be reasonably good quality.... high temperatures and some factory processing methods can destroy some micronutrients... but there's no need to be obsessive about this, if you're getting enough micronutrients generally then processed foods within your macro targets won't do you any harm.

basically, eat a wide variety of foods in moderation.

macronutrients you need to be more careful with, as it's very easy to eat too much fat and carbs, and not get enough protein. Which is why advice like eating balanced macros focuses on macros a lot more than micros.... you do need to pay *some* attention to micronutrients, but you don't need to zealously monitor them each day... it's better to just ensure over a period of days or weeks that you're eating a wide variety of food including all the food groups you have your micros covered.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    the best advice for ensuring you're getting enough micronutrients is to eat a wide variety of different foods, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (a variety of them, not the same ones every time) - also get enough exposure to the sun to produce vitamin D, as it's not always possible to get enough from food alone. As I said, it's nearly impossible to get a lethal dose of any micronutrient from food alone, provided you steer clear of the livers of some animals (I think it's all carnivores, but maybe it's just some of them). Too much insect larvae may also result in vitamin A toxicity....

Don't eliminate entire food groups... e.g. if you eliminate fat from your diet then you also eliminate fat soluble vitamins.

The food you eat for micronutrients needs to be reasonably good quality.... high temperatures and some factory processing methods can destroy some micronutrients... but there's no need to be obsessive about this, if you're getting enough micronutrients generally then processed foods within your macro targets won't do you any harm.

macronutrients you need to be more careful with, as it's very easy to eat too much fat and carbs, and not get enough protein. Which is why advice like eating balanced macros focuses on macros a lot more than micros.... you do need to pay *some* attention to micronutrients, but you don't need to zealously monitor them each day... it's better to just ensure over a period of days or weeks that you're eating a wide variety of food including all the food groups you have your micros covered.

^ All of this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if this is a misplaced attempt at being facetious/sarcastic, but it is misplaced. I am not asking if I am taking any poisons (cronometer doesn't track those), I am asking if my macro and micro nutrient breakdown for a typical day raises any concerns. For these purposes, the foods that make up those macro ad micro nutrients are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I am eating broccolli or donuts or twigs, only the macro/micro breakdown should be of any interest.

I know a little about nutrition. More than some people, less than others. I hoped in a "nutrition" forum to find people from the latter category. This is not panning out so well so far.

No. I posted because I accept that I don't know it all and to try and get feedback from nutrition experts on my macro and micro nutrient breakdown and if there were any concerns.
    Well... to assess your diet besides the micro/macronutrient breakdown, you'd have to provide other information like age, height, current weight and what your goals are. At least so we'd know what your BMR is. Already looking at this, you're eating in excess and you haven't stated why. 2872 / 321 / 90 / 202 ( kcal / carb / fat / pro ). I would just assume you're bulking based off that. So I guess it's an okay diet? If you're trying to maintain your weight I doubt your BMR is anywhere near 2800, so I hope you're bulking.

I am 28 years old, my current weight is 155lb. My goal is to bulk to about 190lbs eventually but I appreciate that this will take a long bulk. As you guessed, I am indeed bulking currently, hence the high calories.

The application has set targets for me, yes. I am exceeding them with minerals, yes. Not deliberately, but because it is very difficult to meet my macro targets without dramatically exceeding my micro targets. For example chicken is a very plain protein, but by eating one chicken breast I hit 100% of my niacin target for the day, leaving it difficult for me to make up the rest of my protein targets without exceeding my niacin RDA. The same with my sodium etc.

You are not pointing anything out to me that I am not aware of though. I'm asking if its a big problem that I am exceeding some of those vitamin and mineral thresholds or if it is OK and the RDA is just a minimum that you can safely exceed. I am guessing from the fact that niacin and sodium in particular are flagged red that these are the ones that may present an overdose risk? It would not be possible for me to hit my macro targets without exceeding at least some of my macros.

I am hoping for input from a qualified nutritionist on these forums to answer my original questions, as posted. I hope the above clarification helps...

this is the internet, we are all qualified nutritionists…don't you know?
  • realdirtysouth
    Options
    your diary is closed..... no-one can check if your micros or macros are in balance or not unless your diary is open

Another one that didnt read my post and missed the link to the cronometer screenshot? wonderfu.
    btw #2: it's extremely difficult to exceed safe limits of micronutrients if you're eating food and not taking vitamin supplements.

Its not a question of it being hard to exceed safe limits - according to cronometer I *am* exceeding the safe limits of micronutrients for niacin and sodium. I take no vitamin supplements or diet supplements, I eat real food only. But my calorie intake is 2800 calories. To get that number of calories I have to eat a *lot* of food compared to someone dieting at 1200 calories, but my micronutrient requirements are the same. Ergo, it is easy for me to exceed micronutrient maximum advised limits from the FDA etc. My question is simple - how bad for me is it to be exceeding these limits?
    You plan to worry not just about meeting those but also exceeding them? You are working yourself into a tizzy and taking it out forum members. Please walk yourself to the Time Out chair.

What an unhelpful reply. The maximum limits for micronutrients are set by the FDA. They presumably set them for a reason. I'm asking how serious it is that I am regularly exceeding this for sodium and niacin. You apparently don't know. So please let someone who does know post and pipe down.
    the best advice for ensuring you're getting enough micronutrients is to eat a wide variety of different foods, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (a variety of them, not the same ones every time) - also get enough exposure to the sun to produce vitamin D, as it's not always possible to get enough from food alone.

My diet consists of proper food only, I take no minerals and supplements, and I eat fruit and vegetables. Ironically though *this is what causes my micronutrients to be so high* !!! If I was eating protein powder, white flour and sugar to hit my macros, I wouldn't have this issue. So advising me to eat fruit and vegetables is not a solution, its part of the problem with my micros being so elevated - I'm getting too much micros/vits, not that I'm not getting enough.
    As I said, it's nearly impossible to get a lethal dose of any micronutrient from food alone, provided you steer clear of the livers of some animals (I think it's all carnivores, but maybe it's just some of them). Too much insect larvae may also result in vitamin A toxicity....

I don't think it reassures me that the amount of vits I'm getting isn't immediately lethal on a day to day basis.... its whether there's any long term health effects from getting 600% RDA of vitamin C or 300% RDA of niacin day in day out.

Where are you getting that I'm elminiating food groups? Take a look at the screenshot and you will see my macros are relatively high in fats. Its almost like you're giving generic advice and not responding to the actual info I posted.
    The food you eat for micronutrients needs to be reasonably good quality.... high temperatures and some factory processing methods can destroy some micronutrients

Agai, useful generic information, but my issue is too many micros, not insufficient macros

I do, this seems to cause micronutrient absorption at what FDA says is unsafe levels.
    macronutrients you need to be more careful with, as it's very easy to eat too much fat and carbs, and not get enough protein.

Again, look at my screenshot. I get plenty of protein.
    Which is why advice like eating balanced macros focuses on macros a lot more than micros.... you do need to pay *some* attention to micronutrients, but you don't need to zealously monitor them each day... it's better to just ensure over a period of days or weeks that you're eating a wide variety of food including all the food groups you have your micros covered.

So the FDA guidelines basically can be pretty much ignored? Getting what they consider unsafe levels of niacin and sodium each day is effectively unlikely to have any real-world impact on my health? That might be the nearest I have got to an answer to my question
This discussion has been closed.