What the heck do I do with oatmeal now?

Options

Replies

• msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    turn it into a biiiig batch of anzac biscuits.
  • mbmillr
    mbmillr Posts: 28
    Options
    Add pumpkin purée and cinnamon or a little syrup and apples with cinnamon sugar.
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone said this, but I put it in my smoothies. It keeps me full until my next meal.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin oatmeal is the best! It tastes like pumpkin pie.

This is my favorite recipe: http://wannabite.com/crockpot-pumpkin-oatmeal-recipe/

I use vanilla soy milk and 1/2 the recommended butter and it tastes amazing.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

You have boxes of oatmeal and there are no directions on these boxes?

Because I've always baked with it, I just dumped it into an airtight container and threw away the bag. It seemed wise at the time. The packaged stuff obviously has directions, but the carbs/sugars are too high in instant oatmeal.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

This is my favorite recipe: http://wannabite.com/crockpot-pumpkin-oatmeal-recipe/

Well, damn, that'll be the next one I try.

Tried the refrigerator oats this morning. Puking makes you lose weight right? Seriously, so disgusting.
  • krislady
    krislady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make steel-cut oatmeal in the rice cooker - 2 c. oats to about 6-7 cups water. I let it cook about an hour while I'm walking the dog.

I usually eat it with a spoonful of either homemade jam (apricot is the best) or I canned some apple and blueberry pie filling this year that are good, too, plus a scoop of plain yogurt stirred in.

Sometimes I leave out the fruit and yogurt and have stirred in leftover vegetables and even something like chicken or smoked pork, too, for a more savory breakfast.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I add chocolate or strawberry flavored whey protein powder
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Well, damn, that'll be the next one I try.

Tried the refrigerator oats this morning. Puking makes you lose weight right? Seriously, so disgusting.

I've tried all variants of overnight oats and fridge oats and I'm with you. They're just mush and grit. Blehhh
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Checkout this blog: http://www.theoatmealartist.com She's amazing!

My favorite recipe lately is:
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/2013/03/banana-chocolate-chip-oat-pancakes-for.html

But she has TONS of oatmeal recipes. Seriously. Check it out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. No cooking required. Awesome and delicious

www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

4884.jpg

not sure if hungry- or actually looks amazingly delicious- or both!!!

PS mason jars- best thing invented EVER.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker overnight! You can make enough for 3 or 4, or just you plus some great leftovers. :O)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Oats - 2 cups
    Almond milk - 2 cups
    Cinnamon - 1 Tablespoon
    Vanilla - 1 Tablespoon

Mix in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. I get 6 servings out of it. It will keep in the fridge for that long. When I eat it, I add slivered almonds and some fruit, either fresh and sliced (or whole berries), unsweetened applesauce, or if I am being lazy I will use jam.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I do PB in it with a little honey (can leave that out though) and make it like a dip to eat with sliced apples.

I also put chocolate protein powder in it and coconut for a dessert type thing.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Gingerbread porridge! I use unsweetend soy milk and water, then add a couple of sweeteners, ginger, mixed spice, and sultanas. Sometimes I add ground almonds for protein.

Then once it's done stir in half a teaspoon of black treacle (a little goes a long way this stuff is strong).

You get a delicious, golden brown bowl of warm spicy goodness MMMMM
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...I guess it a cultural thing. I grew up with oats and brown sugar and the top of the milk..us kids would fight over the top....but putting eggs and stuff on it or in it just turns my stomach...I have tried strawberry jam..peanut butter and even on a down day vegemite but not..eggs, bacon etc:blushing: each to his own.
  • gviens
    gviens Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make a batch and the extras go in the fridge for later in the week.

ShannyCakes:
    4 Egg Whites
    1/4C Cottage Cheese
    1/2C dry measure Oatmeal
    Cinnamon - 1tsp or more to taste
    Splenda - 4 packets or to taste
    (optional) 1 cap of Vanilla Extract
    Place all ingredients into a blender for 20-30 seconds. This makes a very thin watery batter. Preheat a non-stick pan on low to medium low. Spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. I make 1 large pancake but you can make several smaller ones. The pancake is ready to flip when small bubbles appear on the top of the batter.
    ** Add 1/2 a banana (or other fruit) in the batter for a change of pace and a boost in carb count for this meal.
    ** Try adding canned pumpkin and some additional pumpkin pie spice for another variation of this meal
    ** I cook up 4-5 pancakes in advance for a tasty and very convenient on-the-go meal! As soon as the pancake has finished cooking, flip onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the pancake like a fruit roll up or a burrito, cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. This will keep your ShannyCakes soft and moist.
  • ashmacs
    ashmacs Posts: 2
    Options
    I have recently started having overnight oatmeal parfaits. DELICIOUS and super filling.

1/2 cup oats
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon jam (whichever flavour you prefer)
    1/2 milk
    and then to top it off I added frozen blueberries....tomorrow its raspberries.

These are definitely my new morning obsession.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I just ate, thought it was satisfying, but now I'm craving oatmeal with cinnamon and dried cranberries, or peanut butter...yummy!