Fitbit?

Options
I was wondering if it would be better just to get a heart rate monitor or use the fitbit. I see a lot of people using it at work but I wasn't sure how accurate the calories burned are. Does that go by you heart rate? Just want to get some feedback on which is better to use.

Replies

• vicfzy
    vicfzy Posts: 32
    Options
    I am interested in getting 1 of these. Should b interesting on replys.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are for sustained cardio exercises. They cannot track your heart rate throughout the day accurately. Fitbits don't use your heart rate. They track your movement and use a formula based on your height/weight/age to determine how many calories you burn throughout your day. Specifically, they track steps and calculate your calories burned just by living (breathing, digestion, etc.) If you plan on doing a lot of exercise that is not step based (e.g., biking, swimming, rowing, etc.) you may want an HRM to keep track of those activities and use a Fitbit for everyday movement and step based activities (e.g., running, zumba, stair stepping, etc.)
    Personally, I love my Fitbit and wouldn't be where I am now without it.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    the best thng to get is the bodymedia fit, it's the most accurate calorie counter on the market proven by clinical trials but is more expensive, but you get what you pay for...
  • DanNight
    DanNight Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have both a FitBit Zip and a HRM. I have the FitBIt on from after my shower in the morning to brushing my teeth before bed....this is to count my steps during the day. My goal is 6000 steps and 3 miles (2110 steps per mile on average). I link FitBit with MyFitnessPal and use both for calorie intake and output. I simply use the heart rate monitor when I am doing cardio to ensure I stay in a certain HR zone or when I'm doing a multi-zone cardio workout.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use my fitbit from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, it challenges me to get my steps in daily. My goal is 10,000 a day and 300,000 for the month of May. I love my fitbit. I also love my heart rate monitor, which I use for focused workouts if I want to know my calorie burn....They both serve a very different purpose. Good luck....If you are looking to add friends feel free to add me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    In my experience Fitbit is accurate.
    It doesn't go by heart rate so you'd need an actual HRM for that but it knows when you are moving quicker cos it logs that as active minutes.
    Its a great gadget and has certainly got me moving and losing :)

My average steps are 14k despite having a desk job :-D that gives me a nice TDEE of 2200 - for a petite person thats pretty darn good :-D
    I eat 1600-1900 cals to lose 1/2lb per week but I'm basically at maintenance right now :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have both ... they are different gadgets. If I had to choose just one, I personally would go with the Fitbit. It is just so much easier, put it on and wear it all day. The HRM is uncomfortable, I only wear it for certain workouts and I take it off right after. And I hope I remember to START it too, and that it doesn't have a glitch. But it does provide interesting feedback too. I've done many comparisons between my HRM and Fitbit estimates, sometimes they are close, sometimes they are not ... and I have no idea which one is closer to correct!

The Fitbit does NOT monitor heart rate. It goes beyond a simple pedometer in that it calculates your steps in time, so it can tell the difference between running and walking. I think something in it measures impact somewhat. Depending on the model, it will track stairs and sleep too.

I've done a blog post about the Fitbit and all it does (lots of graphs and such)

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html

I'm not affiliated with Fitbit, just a fan (I've had mine for four years now). Many in my family have it too ...
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and a Polar FT4 HRM. My fitbit is waterproof and only comes off to charge it (I hate to take it off!). I use it for steps, total calories burned and sleep patterns. It is linked to MFP so I continue to log foods and exercise on here and it syncs to my fitbit to give me an estimated calories remaining goal. When you enter an exercise, you also put what time you exercised so you do not get double credit for the calorie burn. I wear my Polar HRM when I am doing any actual exercise whether I am doing cardio or strength training. I love to have an actual number to put with my activity. Without these two devices, I would not be where I am today. I am more motivated than ever before. Make a purchase and you won't regret it.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip it was one of the best investments I have made I love it. You won't regret buying one whatever choice you make
  • tropicaltiger
    tropicaltiger Posts: 254
    Options
    I have a fitbit one-and it is amazing-it was the best$100.00 I ever spend-makes me want to keep moving-when I am lifting it doesn't count it-it counts steps-as for the other -I never used it-I am sure whatever one you get you will like
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit and I love it. It is accurate and works in perfect harmony with all of your devices and dashboards. The Aria scale is excellent too.
  • raholden88
    raholden88 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have the FIT BIT ZIP and it's fantastic! Best $50 I ever spent! Great to see the correlation between cheat days, inactive days, and active days, and to see how weather and diet correlates as well!

Only log 5000 steps on a Tuesday, look back and see there were thunderstorms that day and I stayed in and had a large dinner, no wonder I was over 2lbs for the next 2 days. Adjusted my food intake and walked more when weather got good to compensate, next week same day I was down those 2 lbs and the 1lb I was sure to lose, etc. It's great to have this knowledge at my fingertips.

Combined with MFP, which is free to do, as opposed to Lose It, and other apps, the FitBit is an amazing tool to add to your arsenal.
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    Thanks!
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I may end up getting both!
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got a fit bit one on January 5th. I have lost 22 pounds since then tracking my food on MFP and making darn sure I get my 10,000 steps in a day. And I don't deprive myself of treats. I will have the occasional sweet or salty snack and wine. If anything the fit bit will get you moving when you actually see how little you move in a day. I have never had succesful weight loss like this or been ablet maintain.
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    Options
    I have an iPhone 5S, and it can track my steps without incurring extra battery power, so I use that.