Minimum calories?

Options
As I am getting closer to my healthy weight ranges I am curious as to how low my calorie level can be.

These are my stats:
*Male
*5'10
*188 lbs
*Age 22

I am currently set to losing 2 pounds a week being lightly active and I am given a calorie goal of 1600 per day.

Right now 1600 calories sounds about right but I am concerned when I lose more weight that I will not be eating enough and that will bear negative results.

Is there a minimum amount of calories that I should be consuming as I lose weight? How can I figure out the right number for me to ensure I am not underrating?

Thank you!!

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    the basic argument is you should consume no less then the calories needed to maintain weight when resting all day also known as BMR
    you bmr is around the 1950 mark
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is too agressive for where you're at in your weight loss - it was ok when you first started but you'd be better to set your goal to 1 pound per week now:
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Once you change this, you'll get a slightly higher daily goal.

Also, it can help to learn a bit more about BMR. According to Scooby (link below). Your BMR, which is the # of calories your body needs just to support basic function as if you were in a coma, is 1976. Your daily goal shouldn't be below this number at this point in your weight loss. And once you reset to 1 pound per week, it should be slightly above that if I've done my math correctly.

Hope that helps. There are tons of threads around here re: setting custom goals and body recomposition if you're interested in that - just use the search function.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/