Please Read, View Diary, Opinions Welcome!

Options
Hello, I've been on MFP now since March 31st. My height is 5'8 and I have a 'light' activity lifestyle. My starting weight was 272 and I'm 31 years old female. I am currently working out 1-3 days a week, but steadily increasing with yoga classes and bike riding.

I've had probably 4 or 5 days where I haven't logged (internet issues) and a few days where I've over eaten (but logged everything, everytime).

My question is, I'm about 6 weeks in and only have lost about 9 lbs. I notice at the bottom of each diary it says by 5 weeks I should have weighed about 250. I know that is an estimate, but I'm still at 264.

I'm consulting a doctor (blood pressure, sugar, thyroid, and cholesterol are all perfect) and a nutritionist who is checking my labels to ensure I'm eating enough and getting the proper balance.

Can anyone take a look at my public diary and let me know your thoughts on why, 6 weeks in, my weight loss is going very slow? Or is this even slow? Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    9lb in 6 weeks isnt slow, thats a good rate, and means its more likely that you will keep it off.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging consistently. There are entire empty days (on weekend which tends to be when people go overboard on food. A weekend splurge can easily undo deficits built up during the week). There are other days that appear to be not completely entered.
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    Thanks Tavis...I think I'm just getting caught up in that stupid number when I complete my diary.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your numbers for the days that you did log look great. But you're inconsistent. For almost 2 out of these 6 weeks, you've either been over or probably been over when you didn't log.
    Also, are you measuring, or guessing? If you don't have a food scale you are most likely underestimating your calories. With that said, for 4 weeks of consistent dieting, 9 pounds is pretty decent.

Don't half-a** the logging and tracking, it's important - especially in the beginning. And you didn't track your water. Are you drinking enough water?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    9lb in 6 weeks isnt slow, thats a good rate, and means its more likely that you will keep it off.

This too.
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    Thank you 3dogs and herb...

Yes, I am measuring and weighing when I log, which I found to be helpful.

And you are both correct, my logging is inconsistent which I will definitely shape up to have a clearer idea of my intakes.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    9 lbs in 6 weeks is great, that's an average of 1.5 lbs/week! The 5 week estimate at the end of each day on MFP is a little crazy IMO... how is the app going to determine where you'll be in 5 weeks? Every day is not the same intake/exercise-wise, and there are other variables that can lead to shifts in weight (excess sodium causing water retention, new exercise causing muscles to retain a bit of water). Don't be discouraged, you are losing weight at a very healthy pace!

Also in regards to your diary - I see some days are not logged at all, and some days are only logged partially. One bit of advice I can offer is to log everything, every day. Whether you're over or under for the day, log it. It'll really help you in another few months when you can go into the "reports" tab and look at exactly how many calories you are eating a day on average, and you'll be able to get a sense of how your intake relates to your weight loss.
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    Thank you Willrun! I realize now (I know, odd I didn't without this post) that I wasn't very consistent and I will work extra hard to remedy that.

I think I was focusing so much on those numbers at the close out of my diary that I was getting discouraged this last weekend and adapting that 'what's the point' attitude. Very silly and immature, I know.

This really has helped though, just to see things with a fresh set of eyes.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

+1

This journey isn't meant to be or should not be fast. Give your body time to do its job and take advantage of this time to learn the facts behind weight loss so you won't gain the weight back.