Fasting or liquid diet before a weigh in??

Options
So, I'm in an office "Biggest Loser" competition and tomorrow is the halfway point weigh in. The man and woman who have lost the highest percentage of weight win a prize (and the prizes to choose from are pretty awesome). As of 2 weeks ago, I was in the lead for women. My question is, is it worth it to stick to a liquid diet today, up until time to weigh in tomorrow morning or am I doing myself more harm than good?? And, I'm not talking strictly water, but smoothies, yogurt, maybe an orange or 2, etc.

And advice would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would say just cut carbs and sodium the couple of days before the weigh in. Either way you won't lose body fat, but it will help drop scale (water) weight.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Not to sound mean, but isn't doing a liquid diet or fasting sort of cheating yourself? Are you in this competition to win all the prizes or to actually lose weight, get healthy, and feel better about yourself? By fasting or doing a liquid diet the day before weigh in you are just trying to give yourself an unrealistic weigh in that is probably not only unfair to the others who are being realistic with their weigh in's, but it is also unfair to you in the long run.

All of this was IMO. Take it or leave it!! GOOD LUCK in your Biggest Loser competition!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cmendoza13
    cmendoza13 Posts: 23
    Options
    Not to sound mean, but isn't doing a liquid diet or fasting sort of cheating yourself? Are you in this competition to win all the prizes or to actually lose weight, get healthy, and feel better about yourself? By fasting or doing a liquid diet the day before weigh in you are just trying to give yourself an unrealistic weigh in that is probably not only unfair to the others who are being realistic with their weigh in's, but it is also unfair to you in the long run.

All of this was IMO. Take it or leave it!! GOOD LUCK in your Biggest Loser competition!!!

I understand how you might think it's cheating, and I respect your opinion. However, I have lost 17 lbs, eat like I'm supposed to, exercise every single day and drink a ton of water, so no, I don't really feel like I am cheating.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think professional boxes wrestlers do something like that before the weigh-in but I don't know the exact routine...
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

I understand how you might think it's cheating, and I respect your opinion. However, I have lost 17 lbs, eat like I'm supposed to, exercise every single day and drink a ton of water, so no, I don't really feel like I am cheating.

Congrats!! That is GREAT!! And I hope you didnt think I meant cheating in the competition, that was not my intention. You did not specify all of this info in your previous post, so you can see where the confusion would come in. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I hope you win your competition, sounds like you are doing a great job, you should keep doing whatever you are doing to be in the lead.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It could be dangerous but a lot of guys (and some women) weighing in for MMA cut out water almost completely the last 24 hours. Basically they just eat a little bit of ice to keep their mouth dry. This is the uber extreme and I'm not saying to do it. You could check out some MMA, Amateur Wrestling, or Boxing techniques as these guys have pretty much perfected this art.

Good luck and I hope you win your competition!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It could be dangerous but a lot of guys (and some women) weighing in for MMA cut out water almost completely the last 24 hours. Basically they just eat a little bit of ice to keep their mouth dry. This is the uber extreme and I'm not saying to do it. You could check out some MMA, Amateur Wrestling, or Boxing techniques as these guys have pretty much perfected this art.

Good luck and I hope you win your competition!

Skipping the water will have a larger impact on your weigh-in number than skipping the food. This is spot on - getting even a little dehydrated can mean 2-3 lbs on the scale.
  • cmendoza13
    cmendoza13 Posts: 23
    Options
    Not sure I can stop the water completely...I don't think I can, but maybe I can cut back enough to make a little difference. Thanks for the advice!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. And I guess it could be considered cheating, but only if you have rules that restrict how you lose. From a black and white view on the contest and not on your weight loss journey. If there isn't a rule against it, it isn't cheating. There are plenty of ways to drop a few pounds for a weigh in.

Go low on sodium and flush out the rest with water. I ate a lot of soup for a weigh in a while back.

The morning of the weigh in I made a sweat suit and work out in that. Than took a hot shower.
    I didn't eat or drink till after weigh in. (we did that first thing in the morning)

Do your own research, a day or so of fasting should be oke, but be careful and listen to your body.
    I wouldn't skip the water.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So, I'm in an office "Biggest Loser" competition and tomorrow is the halfway point weigh in. The man and woman who have lost the highest percentage of weight win a prize (and the prizes to choose from are pretty awesome). As of 2 weeks ago, I was in the lead for women. My question is, is it worth it to stick to a liquid diet today, up until time to weigh in tomorrow morning or am I doing myself more harm than good?? And, I'm not talking strictly water, but smoothies, yogurt, maybe an orange or 2, etc.

And advice would be very much appreciated!
    I routinely fast, and there is a whole community of fasting.
    So.....to fast it shouldnt be harmful at all.

I fast 3 days a week, and for the 8-10 hours before I weigh in I have no liquids or food to get the most accurate each week to ten days.

Goodluck