Exercises to Help Lower Back Pain

Options
AimersBee
AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
Hi!

I tweaked my lower back around 2 months ago, and maybe once a week I get a little bit of back pain. Probably because I work 50 hours a week in a computer chair and, not only that but, this last year and a half I haven't been doing regular workouts, just sports once or twice a week.

Anyways, my question is, what are some great workouts that will help get rid of this lower back pain?

Thank-you in advance!

Replies

• wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There are probably people on here that can give you some ideas about exercises to build strength in your core that will help you get rid of the back pain in the long term, but for now I'm going to suggest trying to relieve some of it with yoga. I have a lot of problems with my lower back and just basic yoga stretching does wonders for relieving the pain. Just go on to youtube and type in "yoga for lower back pain" and give some of the exercises a try.
  • AimersBee
    Options
    Okay thanks!
  • stephens3019
    stephens3019 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to do core stability exercises and this helps the muscles in you back, therefore reducing the back pain. It is what I do because I am hypermobile, and it works wonders. Using a big workout ball and doing exercises such ad balancing and lifting your leg at the same time can help. Just search up some exercises, add that to the end of your workout and bobs your uncle. Remember to have a nice bath afterwards for extra soothing :)
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ... because I work 50 hours a week in a computer chair an...

You should take a break from the monitor every 20 minutes or 45 minutes - the time will vary from person to person - and do some different job that changes your posture - walking to the photocopier, filing etc, etc etc

I had a lumbar spinal injury and I have a set of stretches I do for about 20 minutes at least every second day otherwise I get stiff and sore. I got these exercises from physios as I recovered but they are commonly used in pilates classes as warm ups. I'm not sure if I can give these out in a forum. My surgeon recommended hyperextensions but that was specific to my injury.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it without medical advice, but heavy lifting did wonders for my back pain! I felt the deadlifts in particular really worked my back. I don't go to the gym at the moment, but I do yoga (DDP) which I believe helps a little too - anyway, I don't tend to get back pain at all now.
  • AimersBee
    Options
    Sounds like some beginner yoga for now would work and then maybe ease back into heavy lifting workouts to strengthen everything up again. I don't want to jump right into anything too crazy as I still play sports (slopitch and volleyball) and don't want to be out of the game because of a possible retweak.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll definitely be taking it all into consideration!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Build muscle around your spine. That's really the only thing that will cure back pain long term. Like a poster above suggested, Deadlifts done correctly do wonders for building back muscle.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/proof-that-functional-strength-training-cures-low-back-problems-and-pilates-wont

pic3.jpg
    pic4.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Good mornings and make sure your hamstrings have decent flexibility.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw my support behind deadlifts. I do both heavy lifting and yoga. I love yoga, but more stretching around a back that is already weak/unstable can actually do more harm than good. See a physical therapist, but what you need right now is serious muscle building and that generally means more focused strength work than yoga provides.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a compressed disk in my lower back that is at risk of herniating if I don't take care of it, so I've been working with a trainer and my doctor to help through exercise. Back extension exercises have been the most helpful for me - on the sitting back extension machine, I am trying to work up to using 90 lbs of resistance, and i have to go slow and make sure that I am feeling the resistance without straining. Also, lots of planks and core-specific exercises help a lot. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor - you want to make sure you're not injuring anything further with your exercise. Good luck!!!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Swimming and horseback riding are great core exercises. Especially riding English. Drop stirrups for a few minutes and really feel the burn!
    Yoga isn't just stretching. Most yoga classes do a lot of core strengthening,too.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    I went to a PT for my back after suffering multiple broken vertebrae, he had me do various things but what seemed to do the most good for me was the medicine ball routine he had me on. It included Wood choppers, Russian twist or V-sits, Oblique Twist (Standing), crunches, Curl-ups, squats, Hip circles (sitting), and ski bends. Until I went to the PT and he had me doing this and other things I was going backwards, gaining more and more weight and losing mobility, he may not have saved my life but he saved my quality of life. Which to me are really closely tied into one another.
    I hope this helps.
    V/r,
    DW

Here is a link to a MB poster that has some of the exercises that he had me do.

http://www.bodysportproducts.com/SellSheets/BodySport_MedicineBall_Poster.pdf
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Swimming and horseback riding are great core exercises. Especially riding English. Drop stirrups for a few minutes and really feel the burn!
    Yoga isn't just stretching. Most yoga classes do a lot of core strengthening,too.

No it's not, but I've done yoga for years and it didn't do much at all for my back pain. Some of the stretches that used a rounded back actually made it worse. My lower back pain is gone since I started heavy lifting. Now the muscle pain in my glutes from heavy lifting, that's a whole other issue :laugh: .
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO YOGA.

I have slipped discs etc yoga can damage your back if it's already bad.

Beginners pilates is the best exercise for lower back pain, make sure you go to a beginners class as if you get it wrong you can make it worse.

I would also suggest a physio or chiropractor before starting pilates to ensure that you don't make it any worse by exercising. They will both give you pilates type exercises which suit your back pain.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try a gentle yoga class. You can ask the instructor for a list of specific postures to help stretch and strengthen your back at home as well.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    DO NOT DO YOGA.

Beginners pilates is the best exercise for lower back pain, make sure you go to a beginners class as if you get it wrong you can make it worse.

I would also suggest a physio or chiropractor before starting pilates to ensure that you don't make it any worse by exercising. They will both give you pilates type exercises which suit your back pain.

I would disagree with discounting yoga altogether. Yoga is not without it's risk but if you are inexperienced I would go to a class and make sure you tell the instructor before class begins about your back. They will tell you what you should watch out for, do more of and avoid.
    Also I might suggest acupuncture. I do it for migraines and neck pain. Those I know who tried it for sports injuries have had varied success. If you have a community acupuncture clinic nearby they are quite reasonably priced.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Yoga is not the ideal thing to do. It involves stretching an unstable back which can cause further injury!
  • aneary1980
    Options
    DO NOT DO YOGA.

I would disagree with discounting yoga altogether. Yoga is not without it's risk but if you are inexperienced I would go to a class and make sure you tell the instructor before class begins about your back. They will tell you what you should watch out for, do more of and avoid.

After slipping my disc for the 4th time (aligment issue) my chiropractor said under no circumstances should I go to a yoga class, pilates as long as it was a beginners class yes but yoga no.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    Yoga is not the ideal thing to do. It involves stretching an unstable back which can cause further injury!

Depends what kind of back injury you have. If it's serious then perhaps yoga might not be right. However the OP says she "tweaked" her back so I'm assuming it's a soft tissue injury with some tightness. Another poster mentioned the core strengthening in yoga as well which will help stabilize the lower back and prevent future injury.