Eating back exercise calories

Options
I've been using MFP for about 10 months and have had some success especially in the beginning but have had an ongoing struggle with whether or not to eat back my exercise calories. I'm 5'4 and 145 lbs. and would like to lose 10 lbs. I exercise 5-6 days a week. Each workout is between 60-70 minutes and I burn on average 450-650 calories per session usually more on the weekends when I have more time (usually burn between 800-1000 calories). I try to keep my calories between 1350-1500 per day so I am usually not eating back my exercise calories. I have been in a weight loss plateau for months and am really struggling on what to do. I was thinking I might be in starvation mode but when I eat my exercise calories the scale goes up. I'm also wondering if my daily calorie amount goal (1320) is enough. I have it set to slightly active since I'm a stay at home Mom and while I workout almost daily I'm don't have an active job. I'm frustrated. Any advice??

Replies

• Alure
    Alure Posts: 30
    Options
    Don't go by the scale. Go by how your clothes fit or by your measurements. If you're working out that much, I would say you are probably pretty fit and need to eat your exercise calories. You might be trying to live on practically no food at all. You could try taking a couple days off exercise and eating more. It sounds counterintuitive, but if you're overtraining AND not eating enough, when you finally do start eating your body might be trying to hang on to every calorie it does manage to get. Good luck!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    yup, try just that... add a couple hundred calories each BIG workout day. Maybe even some on the other days too. You may not be in starvation mode... but your metabolism could be taking a nap because it isn't being fueled. It is good to keep your calories bouncing a little, keeps your body guessing. Also, take a look at your food and see if you might be eating the same things over and over and over... your body could be getting bored. Same goes for your workouts. Get in all kinds of training, resistance, strength, cardio and explosive. This will keep your body guessing. You may already be mixing up your training... but a lot of people use the machines only and aren't confusing the muscles enough. Besides, it prevents you from getting bored. ;)
  • shawnaloeppky
    Options
    Don't go by the scale. Go by how your clothes fit or by your measurements. If you're working out that much, I would say you are probably pretty fit and need to eat your exercise calories. You might be trying to live on practically no food at all. You could try taking a couple days off exercise and eating more. It sounds counterintuitive, but if you're overtraining AND not eating enough, when you finally do start eating your body might be trying to hang on to every calorie it does manage to get. Good luck!

Exactly what I was thinking! :smile:
    Also, everyone does plateau at times, so sometimes you need to change up the routine a little. For example, if you do the same set of exercises over and over, your body doesn't get challenged frequently, so it might help to do something you haven't done before... e.g. if you always do the elliptical trainer for cardio, try incline treadmill or stair climber as a change. Or try doing intervals during the exercise if you aren't already... like go as fast and hard as you can for 2 minutes and then slow and steady for 1 minute and so forth. Just some ideas I've tried and it seems to make a difference. I know its hard to eat back the exercise calories sometimes, but it is important to FUEL your body to keep up the pace you've set for yourself as well as keeping your metabolism up!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories! You won't lose weight eating under 1000 calories. When you have less fat to burn you have to make sure you're eating enough. The body uses a fuel source that is closest to the area that needs the energy. If fat is closest, it will burn fat. If there is no fat close enough, the body will burn muscle simply because it's more efficient. It takes too much effort to transport fat. Plus, it takes a certain amount of calories for your body to perform its normal daily functions. If you're getting less than you need you won't burn fat, and, if it goes on for long enough, your body will stores the food you eat as fat.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Eating back my exercise calories and having a NET calorie intake between 1200 - 1300 calories per day put me in starvation mode. Hit a plateau for a few weeks. It actually took me eating a little worse during Christmas and going higher in my calorie intake to lose weight. I need between 1500 - 1600 NET calories for me to drop the pounds. I do Power 90 six days per week, so it's probably better for me to have those extra calories.

Up your calorie intake some. I'm sure you'll be surprised when the weight comes off for you as well.