I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    did you take any supplements or vitamins?
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    1- you look amazing
    2- Do you have a fitocracy account?
    3- 1 rep maxes on compound lifts?
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing. :) I don't really have any questions that probably haven't already been asked; I'm just marking this so I can read it later
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Your awesome :) that is all :)
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through all of this yet, but I do have a question:

What was your daily calorie intake while losing weight. Did you use the TDEE/ BMR calculators to figure what cals you should eat or did you go off what MFP told you to eat to lose a certain amount of weight each week?

I lost 34 lbs on WW (eating about 1400 cals/ day, which is 200 under my BMR) but then it just stopped after 9 months even though I was doing the exact same thing. I tried playing with my weekly points, the amount of exercise I did, types of exercise, etc. So now I'm on EM2WL on here (eat more to way less) where you eat 15% under your TDEE to lose weight and never eat under your BMR, so any thoughts you have on this would be very helpful!

PS - I'm doing a metabolism reset right now, eating at 2500 (my TDEE).
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi brah!

Fellow LF guy here, finishing my initial diet from 290+ lbs. You look how I want to in a year or two!

If you don't mind, how was your recovery near the end of your initial diet? I feel like I'm so close to where I need to be, but my recovery is just.. horrible. Do you have any suggestions? I read lyle mcdonald, who says that for LBM retention, even going twice a week should be fine. I tried this, but found that it didn't help recovery, and didn't really help the lifts or intensity at all.

I also took a week diet break, but that didn't help much. I think it will take a longer period of normal eating to 'unadapt' to caloric deficit.

I'm trying to hit the gym three times a week, with one day spent cycling. I am not progressing on any major lifts anymore, and my numbers have sharply declined from when I was around 200 lbs to the 165 I am now. (e.g. I used to be able to rep 205 bench three times, and now I can only do 165 three times!).

I have come to the conclusion that I simply need to grind this out and do the best I can at training, and just have to accept that this last fat is going to be awful.

I really admire your progress, and it's great to see someone who's further ahead on the exact road I'm travelling.

Cliffs:

Started fat as faurk. Lost lots.
    Now weak as faurk at the gym. Recovery takes forever.
    Tried decreasing sessions, didn't help. Tried eating more, didn't help.

Decided I just have to suffer through it.
    Am I gonna make it?
  • goldenbeautyxo
    goldenbeautyxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello! :D

My Stats : female 5'6 127 lbs 30% body fat 20% muscle mass

I don't want to keep losing weight, however, i'd like to lower body fat to about 20%. Also I'd like to gain muscle. I'm starting to incorporate weight lifting to my workout routine and less cardio. Do I keep eating at a deficit since my body fat is so high? or eat at maintenance to build mass?

I still have some belly fat, and I'm worried that eating more will put more fat on my tummy. but i dont want to be eating too little while lifting more weight each session.

Thanks for your help!!! :)
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What TOTALLY blows me away is that apart from the fact that you look amazing you are SUCH a lovely guy as well :-) NOT something that often happens together I think.HUGE hugs on a dramatic transformation and thanks for the motivation.
    H
    x
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Such a beast, no question to ask! Just epic! :D
  • strengthandhonour4eva
    strengthandhonour4eva Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How did you get rid of the fat on the side of your stomach? The love handles I think their called haha
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation!!! You should do a commercial for MFP!!!!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    wow that's super inspiring! Taking your tip to start 5x5 training now.
  • wannabfitnevarez
    wannabfitnevarez Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an AMAZING transformation and dedication : ) i am a 44 year old female, i weighed at my highest 187 after i had my son way back in 1989. I then got sick for three years after that and i was never able to lose weight because my sickness kept me from exercising and all that good stuff. After my surgery to correct what my body was going thru i started exercising and all that and now i am finally able to say i have lost some weight but it has not been easy. I do alot of cardio. i got down to 142 which was amazing! i would use myfitnesspal to log all my foods that i ate, i was feeling good about myself and was proud to say i was close to my goal of 135. Now i gained 21 pounds of that back on. ugh! sad, and makes me sick to my tummy that i stopped logging in my calories and i was so close to my goal. so now today i am 163.4 which is great compared to when i first started but now where i want to be, after all that hard work. I am 5'7" and would like to meet my goal of 135. what do you recommend i do? do i keep doing weight training using interval training or should i just stick to cardio as i did before till i get to 142 again and then start weights? i am on a 1,200 calorie intake for the day as i have been and that actually worked out great because i would burn a lot using elliptical for an hour. : ) i want to get abs and get my core really strong and that is the only part of my body i seriously HATE with a passion!!!! i need your help and your suggestions of what i can do now. what is my next step?
  • TammyVieu
    TammyVieu Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If this question has already been addressed I apologize. Don't have time to read through it all right now. I just wondered what formula you used to figure out how many calories and other macros to use when lifting. I am a 5' 3" female, weight 111, 36 years old.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    a44.gif
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! I', just starting weights myself and your story is very motivating!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In to follow and food for thought...
    Working in healthcare can make it hard to take care of ourselves...I also had a little laugh about your comment, about pulling out a picture when people say you don't know what it is like to be fat...I am a trauma/surgical ICU RN and people like to say, "You don't know what it is like to be sick" or, "you don't know what it is like to be in pain, you've never had this kind of pain"...I just want to pull up my top/drop my waistband and give 'em a view of the scars (a years worth of colon cancer treatment). Yeah, yeah, I do know what it is like to be sick, in pain, wondering at 3am if I am gonna die, cuz that is what you think about while your chemo pump is whirring away. I have a whole lot of empathy, but I also know, we need to get you up to get you out of here...if I didn't care, my friend, I wouldn't want to get you out of this bed...

Anyway, I have been reading the body recomposition site of Lyle's...very interesting stuff. I remember losing weight years ago as a clean slate...it was so much easier. I had just made the decision that I had to start some really focused weight work...then I blew an incisional hernia and now I have to just chill out for a while. That makes it hard, but it is also sort of a forced time out. Get thee off the weight loss/exercise wheel, I guess was the message from the universe.

I do like your sensible and level approach and the great attitude regarding time. It is all a continuum, but I still struggle with patience. It is hard for me to have been where I want to go back to, in terms of weight and fitness, especially when things like this hold me back. I have to remember, it could be worse. I could be dead. LOL. (Sorry folks, morbid healthcare humor rising to the surface!)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    No question, just want to say great job!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In to read later--Awesome job and thanks for the motivation. I gained 40 lbs since retiring from the Air Force 2 years ago (I was 20 lbs over my ideal wieght then). I jumped back on the wagon this week because I don't want to buy a bigger fat clothes (among other reasons)! I had to buy a new belt last week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!