Your food is no cleaner than mine

Options

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ill have you know i clean my own game...my rabbits are VERY clean. AND i wrap it in nitrite free bacon before basting it in BBQ sauce.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options

From what I've seen in this thread, all food is clean. You just have to *call* it clean, and it is so. All humans eat clean, you just have to say it. You don't even have to snap your heels together or anything else, just say, "It is clean," and it is so. (Maybe an "amen" or "abracadabra" helps too, idk)

I think hand gesture *do* help also:

AbbyWhoaCool.gif

YOU GET ME. *swoons*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ill have you know i clean my own game...my rabbits are VERY clean. AND i wrap it in nitrite free bacon before basting it in BBQ sauce.

Marry me!

ooops....I mean mail me some!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

From what I've seen in this thread, all food is clean. You just have to *call* it clean, and it is so. All humans eat clean, you just have to say it. You don't even have to snap your heels together or anything else, just say, "It is clean," and it is so. (Maybe an "amen" or "abracadabra" helps too, idk)

I think hand gesture *do* help also:

AbbyWhoaCool.gif

YOU GET ME. *swoons*

At least I get something around here other than a hard time! :tongue:
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not the right person for the rest of your question, because I don't label my diet as clean, and I don't tell others to eat clean, so I'm not invested in a universal definition. When I try to eat clean, I'm trying to get the most nutrition bang for my buck. If I eat something with little macro or micronutrient value, not being in any danger of malnourishment or needing lots of calories for activities, I wouldn't see that as sticking with my clean guidelines. For me, having a goal of clean just helps me meet my calorie deficit (and maintenance, eventually). Many of the foods I include in my daily diet are processed. I like the idea of cooking my own food and knowing to the best of my knowledge what's in the food I'm eating, but most of the time, I'm not going to make my own almond milk. So I'm not opposed to processing, though I do think there is a middle ground between "NO PROCESSING" and "ALL PROCESSING IS OK." I don't care enough about the science to get into that debate, but I'm open to the idea that none of us knows the effect of every last thing out there.

I basically agree with this, but I just don't get why it's called clean eating (to be clear, I don't care if you call it that, I'm really just trying to understand). There are a whole bunch of basically conflicting definitions of clean eating, some which are basically how I eat (I'd call it trying to be health conscious or being aware and choosing consciously), and some of which are kind of hippy/granola stuff about processing, and some of which seem related to other dietary goals (I've definitely heard "eating clean" mean adhering to my pale diet). My problem with it is that I hear an implied "unlike all you other unclean eaters" whenever someone says it, and given the plethora of definitions find it an unhelpful term, but I will try to get past that. ;-)

I honestly don't understand why people care so much. Let me ask you - when someone tells you they eat vegan, do you feel they're judging you for eating meat and animal products? Does that make you feel guilty for eating chicken, putting butter on your bread or drinking a glass of milk? Are they shaming you? Or are they just telling you how they eat. I would say the latter, but to me it sounds like you're so invested in how other people eat that logically you should be feeling all of the former. The same goes if someone says they eats low carb - are they now judging you for eating nasty carbs? Or are they just describing their current macronutrient distribution?

I really don't understand why the term bothers people so much. Is it simply the label of "clean" that does it? To me, people refer to "clean" eating because most people know more or less what they're talking about when they say they eat "clean." Might their individual definition of "clean" eating differ from yours or someone else's? Probably so, but I suspect only in minor ways. Fresh veggies and grass fed beef probably fit the definition of "clean", taco bell probably does not, and there's probably some other examples that are shades of grey. Now does that somehow mean they're shaming you for eating "unclean" when they say they're trying to eat "clean?" I suspect the answer is yes only if you're really insecure. To me, someone eating "clean" is simply saying they're trying to prepare most of their own meals from fresh ingredients, rather than buying packaged meals and the like. Given that, my gut reaction to someone saying that would be "sounds good," rather than how dare you accuse me of eating unclean!

Now, as to the OP's point, is "clean" eating a helpful term? Maybe to a limited extent for people who don't count calories but as a general matter I don't think it's all that helpful, at least when it comes to weight loss.

I've crossed paths with a handful of vegans who are outright judgmental towards meat and dairy and anyone who dares eat them. One in particular was so militant he's decided to become a bio researcher intent on proving that meat and dairy are completely unhealthy for us. Most vegans don't go around pushing their beliefs, but there's definitely a loud minority.

I think the same can be said for clean eaters. Most just do their thing, but the loud minority will tell you "good luck with that cancer," "I would never eat that garbage," "That isn't real food," etc. You see it on the forums here all the time. Personally it doesn't bother me. I just roll my eyes and move on.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Marry me!

ooops....I mean mail me some!

Id mail food internationally if it wasnt such a big federal no-no -_-
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've crossed paths with a handful of vegans who are outright judgmental towards meat and dairy and anyone who dares eat them. One in particular was so militant he's decided to become a bio researcher intent on proving that meat and dairy are completely unhealthy for us. Most vegans don't go around pushing their beliefs, but there's definitely a loud minority.

I think the same can be said for clean eaters. Most just do their thing, but the loud minority will tell you "good luck with that cancer," "I would never eat that garbage," "That isn't real food," etc. You see it on the forums here all the time. Personally it doesn't bother me. I just roll my eyes and move on.

I'm not saying there aren't clean eaters who judge the way other people eat (right or wrong) and who are vocal about it. There are vegans, IIFYM'ers, low carbers, meat-only eaters and so on that are quite judgmental and annoyingly vocal about it as well. My point was that simply saying "I try to eat clean as much as I can" isn't inherently judgmental or insulting to other people - or at least it shouldn't be. If that same person goes on to conclude you'll get cancer because you ate a waffle taco last week, yeah, they probably are a judgmental prick - but that's a separate issue. :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Nitrite free bacon? (Isn't that just ham?)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

And at least I can tell you what a vegan is! They don't eat meat or any product that comes from animals. The word actually means something.

Clean eating? Completely individualized, can be followed part of the time and completely ignored other times. It's a diet that touts the elimination of certain kinds of food, while not actually eliminating them or randomly choosing what criteria is used to define a food as "clean".

There's a lot of hanger on this thread, it's so irrational - which in my opinion is the best sort!

Are you victor meldrew?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

And at least I can tell you what a vegan is! They don't eat meat or any product that comes from animals. The word actually means something.

Clean eating? Completely individualized, can be followed part of the time and completely ignored other times. It's a diet that touts the elimination of certain kinds of food, while not actually eliminating them or randomly choosing what criteria is used to define a food as "clean".

Oh definitely "clean" eating is a vague term. You won't hear me argue against that!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The secondary issue is defining clean eating. Which I'm not even going to attempt. It's been gone over a billion times. Just use the search function.

I have. I've seen plenty of people asking the questions I have, and no answers. That's why I bothered.

And again, while I've made it clear I find the term clean eating offputting, I've also made it clear I'm not criticizing how anyone eats. I'm just interested in the topic. I think it's odd that questions are met with claims that I'm criticizing your eating. Can't we divorce the topic from people's personal preferences, which will of course be individual?

But this thread is silly long, so if you are bored with the topic I won't get offended or anything.

It is to simply eat food that has not been chemically altered. It does not mean I can't go to the store and purchase crackers. It means that I wont' go to the store and purchase crackers that I cannot make at home. You purchase items that are whole and raw, like fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats and cook. If you get something that is in a box it has nothing added. Like Quinoa with nothing in it, although boxed would be clean. Yogurt, that is just yogurt would be clean. I'm not going to purchase flour that has been stripped of it's nutrients, bleached and then had the nutrients added back in (enriched flour) I'm not going to purchase things are made of added chemicals. In other words If it's supposed to rot and it doesn't, there is a problem. It's not about losing weight, it's about over all health.

I'd be willing to bet the 5 ingredient thing came from people reading labels and going "what is the purpose of all this added stuff why is it necessary and what does it do to me to eat this much extra". for example, I will purchase canned tomatoes or beans, but a lot of them have added salt and sugar.. Why??? I search the labels until I find one with no added salt or sugar. Just tomatoes, or just beans. Unnecessary and i don't need the extra.

And no.. unless you are a chemist i really doubt you use half the ingredients on the list of premade stuff. (do you use blue 1 or maltodextrin as an added ingredient?? No one i know does)

and I am bored of this thread, and this topic.

So ignorant, crackers are baked, baking chemically alters the product. Yougurt? Chemically altered through lacto fermentation

Maltodextrin? I have a big tub of it that I use

There's a big difference between chemical alteration through natural cooking methods and chemical alteration via the introduction of unnatural chemicals made in a laboratory. Yogurt is natural (provided it's just yogurt) because lacto fermentation is a natural process. Baking crackers is also a natural process.

So I suggest instead of enjoying your little game of trying to belittle other people, you go find a way of becoming a better person.

So you're saying when she said that she doesn't eat chemically altered food, she didn't actually mean that? So where do crackers get naturally baked at oh 300+ degrees F?

So pointing out someone's ignorance is belittling them? Do tell

No, I'm saying when we talk about processed it's in the common vernacular - just like junk food, it's a term everyone understands perfectly well, and no amount of thinking you're cool and funny for nitpicking will change the fact that you know exactly what we mean.

And BAKING is natural; increasing the temperature doesn't change that. Same with fermentation - that happens naturally, so if you make it happen (without adding anything unnatural to it) its still a natural process. And no, when we say we don't eat chemically altered food we generally mean food to which chemicals have been added that aren't natural. Doesn't refer to the chemical alterations that occur within food when you cook it, or freeze it, etc.

What's belittling is both calling a person ignorant, particularly when they're not, and talking down to them in the condescending manner you're taking up right now. You're coming off as an incredibly arrogant, condescending bully who enjoys belittling people for no reason. You're not actually debating things with merit at the moment, you're simply trying to insult people.

While baking could be natural, using an evil manmade contraption like a commercial oven makes it unnatural. "existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind."

You do have me curious, if she's not ignorant as you claim, what would you call her statement in which she immediately contradicts herself as?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Which is why I now refer to myself as a "clean" eater...

...and challenge anyone to review my diary and conclude otherwise:

(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6)

Now I just need to practice my condescension and irrational beliefs that when *someone else* eats the same things *I* occasionally do, that it will cause them irreparable harm while it is just a small component of my otherwise overall healthy...er, sorry...*clean* food diary.

#CleanEating4Lyfe
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Now I just need to practice my condescension and irrational beliefs that when *someone else* eats the same things *I* occasionally do, that it will cause them irreparable harm while it is just a small component of my otherwise overall healthy...er, sorry...*clean* food diary.

#CleanEating4Lyfe

Yep, just saying it makes it so. I eat clean as well. Everything I eat has been declared clean.

Should someone run to Kinko's and print certificates?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Welcome to clean eating!

I also eat 'low carb' and eat in 'moderation'!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Here are the chemicals I'm trying to avoid.
    But that's just me.
    http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/fastfoodnation_03.php
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Here are the chemicals I'm trying to avoid.
    But that's just me.
    http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/fastfoodnation_03.php

The title has a false premise. McDonald's fries do NOT taste good. They *used* to taste good, back when they used animal fat instead of vegetable oil. My home fries are much tastier. (bacon grease FTW)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Just because the microwave meals and oven pizzas you buy at the supermarket because you are too god damn lazy to cook for yourself are bad for you does not mean you are going to wreck your health for cooking bread in the oven or eating cured ham. There's always a new craze and honestly the whole clean/dirty food thing is just barmy. What matters is what is in food plain and simple. You either get the nutrition you need or you don't And here's a shocker for you. Very very few food preservatives are actually bad for you. And quite a few of them are good for you. And the ones found to be bad for you are usually quickly phased out because the companies don't want to lose food sales because of it and there is usually a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Microwave meals and crap like that are bad because they are pre cooked to death robbing them of most of their nutrition. Because the companies can't risk selling you food that might be slightly undercooked and get sued because of it. To make up for this they pump the good full of extra fat sugar and salt to attempt (often unsuccessfully) to rescue the flavor.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome to clean eating!

I also eat 'low carb' and eat in 'moderation'!
    I call mine low crap. :happy: