Any Fitbit users out there?

Options
I am thinking about getting a Fitbit. Those who used or have had experience....what do you think? Pros? Cons? Is it worth it or will I will lose interest after a month? I want the good, the bad and the ugly :wink:

Replies

• laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it. Only downside for me is I have the clip on one that goes on your waistband. When I wear gym shorts I always roll the band down so there isn't a place to clip it too. Also, I'm really forgetful. Just today I forgot to put it on.

If you get it I would check out everymove.com. You can sync it with fitbit (and mfp) and it gives you points for working out. Its good motivation to get out and walk some more to earn my rewards.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My husband got the flex one and lost interest so I have his atm! I usually exceed the exercise and it gives me a ridiculously high amount of calories to aim for so I'm a bit concerned that it might be overestimating. The sleep feature is interesting to see how restless you were, and the vibrating alarm is good for waking you up in the morning- if you are in a restless part of your sleep cyclle where it's easiest to wake up shortly before your alarm is due to go off then it'll go off a bit earlier which is quite useful in theory- hasn't happened to me yet though!
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a FitBit One. I've linked it with MFP. I compare notes on both sites when I sync my FitBit and check in. Right now, I'm just practicing the habit of counting calories. I do keep track of my step counts from FitBit. I also downloaded the DriveBit app to my phone to help keep track of driving times in the car since the FitBit will sometimes count driving times as steps. I log my meals and water intake on MFP along with notes on my foods and medications. I also use my FitBit to track sleep since I have sleep apnea and need to use a CPAP. As I said, at this point, I'm mainly just trying to build some new habits. I wear my FitBit almost constantly. I clip it to my collar or shirt pockets during the day, and put it in the wristband when I go to bed. I also keep pen and paper notes of all foods and activities during the day so I can log them when I get a chance.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex. I won it from a random drawing after participating in a health fair at work. I like the battery life on mine (I don't have it sync to my phone all the time, I do it manually about every 3 days). I normally only have to recharge about every 7 - 10 days and it only takes about 2 hours to recharge from my computer (less if I hook to the wall adapter I have). I like the visual of steps (illustrated by LEDs) but an actual counter would be nice without having to sync to see them. I like that I can put it on and leave it on. I normally take it off to shower, but you don't have to. The bands look a little dingy even if you clean them so I suggest buying a darker color. Mine is a slate blue/gray and I'd like a black one. It is comfortable to wear once you get used to the clasp. If you are carrying something and don't swing your arms much as you walk or if you are pushing a buggy,etc. I think it affects the accuracy of the step count. However, this is remedied by putting it in your pocket. That is the only really annoying thing I've had to learn to deal with is if I am pushing a buggy at Walmart and it is too far down on my wrist it picks up on the buggy vibration and sends itself into and out of sleep mode. It is nice to go through your day and then tap it and be greeted by 4 or 5 solid lights to show 8 - 10k steps. But it is disappointing to do that and only see 2 or 3 lights indicating 4 - 6k steps. I like it and may have bought one even if I didn't win one. Also - I don't link to MFP - I don't want it to add calories that I could eat - that doesn't work for me! Hope this helps!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit Flex a few months ago and I love it. It stays on my wrist well, so I never need to worry about losing it. I find it to be fairly accurate. It recharges quickly, so I'll charge it when I'm in the shower or while sitting at my computer. I have mine linked to MFP and I set them to have the same goals. It really motivates me to get moving!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it! I've had it for a long time. Very addicted to it and getting my steps in. It keeps me accountable.
  • jamu1528
    jamu1528 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had my FitBit Zip for 2 days and I really love it. Also, if it falls off your waist band, I find that it clips into my sports bra and doesn't move at all while working out.
  • tmaristela
    tmaristela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and loved it until it died after 6 weeks...replacement is on its way.

I linked it to MFP and I make updates using my iPhone. I like how my activity is synced to MFP. I also track my calories on MFP. When I am over my calorie allotment, I force myself to work it off by walking/jogging off the extra calories.

My sister and mother also have Fitbit and we have "friend-ed" each other so we can see each other's progress. It's become a daily competition especially for my mom. So far, this has been the most motivation I've seen from her when it comes to her required daily activity. They've had their Fit bit since Christmas and wear it all the time.

I have co-workers who have it too, and lost interest after a month, while others continue to use it like myself. i suppose it depends if you're motivated by the information it tracks. We walk during lunch and it keeps us from "cheating" because we know exactly how many steps we've walked versus guessing the distance of our 30 minutes of walking. It also motivates us to challenge ourselves to increase the number of steps we cover in 30 minutes.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and really love it. I have had it since the end of February and have had to get two new ones already. This first one started losing its charge every 12 hours or so. The second one just plain old stopped working after about 3 days. I have had this third one for 3 days now and so far, so good. The fitbit customer service was really good about sending me new ones when the old ones stopped working properly.

I am very competitive so I like seeing how I compare to my friends. Well my new ones anyway. At first I had added about 7 people that i do know and I was always in first place and WAY ahead of them so I went on one of the MFP forums and added a bunch of strangers. Now I am anywhere from 2nd place to 7th place which is good as I don't get complacent. I do put it in my pocket when on the treadmill or elliptical.

I also had a similar problem to what someone said happened while pushing the buggy at the store in that when I was riding my bike on a bumpy area of pavement, the fitbit would put itself to sleep, wake itself up, over and over for those couple of blocks. Once i realized what it was doing, it was fine.

I also really like the alarm on it. I used to hit snooze on my regular alarm a few times every morning. This vibrating on my wrist wakes me right up and no more need to snooze.
  • theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a One and love it. I feel naked without it.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm sold.