Is it bad to drink more than 64oz. of water a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for that formula; I was told to drink 4L per day, but that seemed like more than I really wanted. According to your formula, 2L should be enough for me.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    As people have mentioned. Yes you can but it takes an obscene amount of water. Rather than go by how many glasses you should drink. Using this chart you can figure out how much to drink without overdoing it.

http://www.urinecolors.com/dehydration.php
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I have actually vomited from drinking too much water and it takes A LOT of water to do it. I didn't know at the time that's what I had done though.
  • taintdluv
    taintdluv Posts: 1
    Options
    If your not drinking enough water, your body will retain water, i.e. hold the water in to keep you hydrated while your not, in case you stop getting water intake. Your body is in a way preparing to be "starved of water". When you are properly hydrated, your body is constantly getting proper amounts of water so it no longer has to retain the water, it will dispel excess water being held in your system, therefore you weigh less.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, just more to keep track of. Lots of sweat means losing lots of salt. Supposedly the salt dumping effect isn't as bad for people who get sweaty more often but at least in my case it seems like this is pure hooey and I need my salty things to keep from getting headaches.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yada yada but can i remind you all again that its not just by drinking water that you get water into your body...... food, other drinks - they all count so don'f forget these when you are calculating how much to drink. And don't tell me that coffee and tea don't count - i have asked a MEDICAL person and they do, so I am not listening to you :drinker:
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No. I read somewhere once (probably if you google it'll come up) that you should divide your body weight in half and that's the amount of water (in ounces) that you should drink.

I was just about to post this EXACT thing. Yes, it's true. Divide your body weight in half, and that's how many ounces you should drink daily, to ensure you are hydrated. However, I wouldn't go over that amount, as it IS possible to drink too much. I think it has to be an extreme amount though.

Don't want to scare anyone, but check out this link
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication