how to eliminate late night hunger

Options
Someone please help, I'm into day 5 of my lifestyle change and am wanting food around 10-11pm every night
I appreciate any tips and ideas =)

Replies

• punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Drink some water.... that's what I do
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    Make an egg-white omelette. Hardly any calories and pretty filling! Or some sugar-free jelly if you have a sweet tooth. :)
  • dani2608
    Options
    thanks =) I have an extremely bad sweet tooth
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't eat carbs at night. Try a vegetable like celery, carrots, or sliced cucumber dipped in something very low-cal, low-sugar, low-carb. This way your body won't turn your late-night snack into fat. Good Luck! :smile:
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i go to bed with cup sweet tea . when i get up im not hungry lol
  • helengator1
    Options
    I agree with the egg white omlette and the sweet herbal tea. i use berry zinger tea which has no caffeine and is so sweet i kept checking to make sure it doens't have sugar, lol. also, try putting Splenda on things to help crave your sweet tooth. tip that has helped me: (not for night time) try the Chobani or Fage greek yogurts with fruit. it is a little diferent at first but if yhou can get a taste for them, they are a sweet treat with lots of protein. good luck and way to go asking for advice instead of struggling alone. i always did that and now having this site for help is making all the diffence. we can do it! (okay, I better calm down and get back to work, lol)! :)
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I struggle after dinner as well. Here's what worked for me:

- I tell myself the kitchen is "closed" after dinner, and eating more is not an option
    - I sip herbal tea for the rest of the night, with sweetner
    - I brush my teeth so I have a fresh, minty taste in my mouth, which makes me not want to put sweet things in it!
    - If my brain starts thinking about chocolate or cookies, I tell myself to hang on for another 5 minutes to see if the craving goes away. During those 5 minutes, I log into MFP and read success stories!
    - I post a status updates on MFP saying "Help, I'm craving chocolate!" and my friends write back that I need to be strong!
    - I re-read my goals, and what it means to me to lose weight. And why I MUST lost weight this time, and FAILURE is not an option!
    - I look at photos of me "Before" and "After" and remind myself I don't want to look like that anymore!
    - I don't keep chocolate or cookies in the house. Just throw it away!

Anything that's worth having takes work and discipline. Focus on the body you want, and on the nutrition you need to be healthy and strong! Think how you feel when you see other people with fantastic, fit bodies. You know they work hard, and don't cheat at night! YOU can be that person, just get into that mindset!

You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • dani2608
    Options
    thanks guys =) Its fantastic to have such great support and advice on here, the hunger pangs are slowly disappearing
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I go for a good banana at night. It is just the right amount of sweet, and usually half of one cures the hunger.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    How about having some fat-free/sugar free hot chocolate? It tastes good and you have to sip it slow since its hot - and it should satisfy your sugar craving :-)
  • bainos
    bainos Posts: 99
    Options
    I have a problem with eating late at night too. Its very frustrating. When I manage not to eat late though, I feel so proud of myself the morning after. Its a goog way to start the day. Good luck on your journey.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i like to pop a single werthers coffee candy into my mouth when i'm having an intense sweet tooth craving... lately ive really taken to Kashi chewy pb granola bars. 140 cals, good protein and just sweet enough :) That and a cup of tea is a great dessert, if you have the wiggle room in your dietary budget :)
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    Hot choc..feels like your getting a treat but get a low cal version,i get Options belguim hot choc 30 ish calories and yummy...i wouldnt eat that late at night ide get tummy ache in bed LOL x x x x x x No carbs that late either x x x x x x
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    I have a problem with eating late at night too. Its very frustrating. When I manage not to eat late though, I feel so proud of myself the morning after. Its a goog way to start the day. Good luck on your journey.

This is good! I tell myself not to eat after 7p or 7:30p depending on what time I go to bed! When I don't give into those cravings I feel so much better and proud of myself!!!
    Good luck to you!! :)
  • bigsal911
    Options
    I found that by eating 5 meals a day I can avoid late night hunger. first meal at 9am, last meal at 9pm. Helps keep blood sugar up so you don't want to binge.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree that the 5 meals a day helps. That is what I do. I eat breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. By the time dinner rolls around I want something light and I get full fast. In the evening I'm not hungry hardly ever.....

For the times I have reached in the fridge........ I choose carrots & hummus or green pepper. Maybe a small apple or something.

I do LOVE hot tea (decaf) in the evening. It keeps me satisfied and warms me up in the winter.

Good Luck! :smile:
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one w/ late nite hunger pangs :tongue: New tricks I've done that seem to help is def brushing the teeth. Nothing tastes good w/ a minty fresh breath :) Also, I hear eat within two hours of waking and dont eat at least two hours before going to bed...so far I've been able to follow that and I def feel better and hope it just becomes habit after awhile instead of me having to look at the time. hehe I think that Extra winterfresh gum is great low cal snack too. If im hungry I will drink water or chew that for a few minutes...i think really were just bored and after 5 minutes of chewing the gum im over it. :happy: Good luck to you..you can do it!!!:wink:
  • valerierackly
    Options
    i just stick it out and then after a few nights the cravings stop,its like an habit, you have to get the better of it,so your incharge of it. and if i get it really bad for a while and i cann't control it i tried hoodia for a few days(3-5) and that helped me get back on top of it.