What do your feed your kids?

Options
13»

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    pretty much what i eat , with more p butter and jelly and less eggs...
    and they love apples and ugh bananas (not my genetics i swear)
    ... never thought that kids need constant"kids food" i think it does nothing to teach them about real world food, they eat pasta, i seldom do , but they love homemade mac and cheese, the yellow boxed stuff not so much
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    my boyfriends daughter eats what we eat unless its something she doesn't like (she has to try it), something that is spicy, or she isn't feeling well.

If she just "doesn't like" what I made she gets pb&j. If its something that we planned on eating and know she doesn't like or its spicey she will get chicken tenders and a veggie.

If she is sick she gets soup if its a cold/viral thing or something from the BRAT diet if its a stomach thing.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Steak and ice cream. Same as me.
  • hideyocats
    hideyocats Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't.
  • tethar
    tethar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My daughter (7 yo) is getting picky, but she participates in picking what we are going to have for dinners that week, we sit down as a family to make sure we have things everyone is going to like. Breakfasts she usually has cereal, waffles, oatmeal or something quick like that. She buys school lunch, and takes two snacks to school- usually fruit snacks or cheese or graham crackers.

She likes milk and water to drink, and she drinks whole milk because she is on a high calorie diet (she's severely underweight because of a growth hormone disorder that she is being treated for.)

She likes healthy foods, but sometimes getting her to eat meat is a challenge. To be fair, I don't like meat either. But we are working on both of us getting enough protein.

I've actually thought about setting up a second MFP account to record what she eats, she's very conscious of what she eats and might benefit from seeing how her protein and sugars stack up against where they should be.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and Jelly...with the occasional rusty tin can and cigarette butt thrown in for fiber...
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Ever since my daughter was a baby/toddler she ate whatever we did. I've always worked and don't have the time to do separate meals for everyone, and always believed there was no reason to give children separate food. I tried pureed food on her once, but she found it frustrating and didn't like that she wasn't eating the same as us, so we just gave her finger sized and shaped pieces of whatever we had, and just progressed to not cut-up as she got older.

This is what I have always done. I was never a fan of all the jared baby food on the market.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have one of those weird kids who will pick sushi over pizza :laugh: She doesn't really like bland food like french fries but she is no food angel, she loves sweets (we save those for Saturdays) and would love to eat crisps and chocolate everyday if it was on offer but luckily she likes fruit and yoghurt almost as much. We never gave her purees and did baby led weaning and from the age of 1 until around 2½ the only way I knew she would eat dinner was to make tuna pasta, I became an expert at varying the veggies in the sauce! We have never made a big deal over food, she never has to eat everything on her plate because I want her to know what hunger is and to trust her own body. I think her un-fussiness (I think I made that word up!) when it comes to food is partly because we gave her so many different foods with herbs and garlic etc from when she was weaned and part luck and her personality, she loves to try new things and anything a bit exotic, hence fancy names for very normal foods like "jungle toast" for toast with PB and banana :smile:

Actually something she has eaten since she was a toddler is frozen peas and sweetcorn, she loves those and she still often has a bowl before dinner if we are eating something a bit junky. She also really likes frozen berries, she used to call them ice cream! We make healthy ice cream from frozen fruits blended with yoghurt or frozen blended bananas, it is as good as actual ice cream.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    How many of you only buy organic milk? We do and it's 7.00 a gallon! I hate spending the $$, but there are certain things I will only buy organic. Dairy, meat, eggs and the veggies and fruits off the dirty dozen lists mainly.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How many of you only buy organic milk? We do and it's 7.00 a gallon! I hate spending the $$, but there are certain things I will only buy organic. Dairy, meat, eggs and the veggies and fruits off the dirty dozen lists mainly.

We don't, but the milk brand we buy only uses milk from cows not treated with RBST. We go through about 10 gallons a month in our house for 4 of us...
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas!!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Yeah holy cow (haha) I buy organic milk and it is ridiculous! I use almond milk for myself, which is much cheaper and has even more calcium, and use organic cow's milk for my little one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Milk and apples are pretty much the only thing we buy organic. But it's only $5.50 a gallon here (sometimes less depending on the store). They don't drink that much though, a gallon lasts 2 weeks here. I'd buy more organic fruit and veggies but it just gets too $$.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    On a funny note, it's my kids now that come to me telling me what is healthy and what isn't. Apparently some kids criticized their chocolate milk for not being healthy (ok, it's arguable). Gotta love what they learn at school :laugh: I think next time I'll tell them that it's fine to eat as long as you don't eat too much of it.

I get this too, but always reply with "everything's fine in moderation (except vegetables) INCLUDING BREAD". DD would eat the whole loaf in one sitting..
    My gobbo baby is 22 months old, and she has two modes: bottomless pit or lockdown.

I smiled when I read this. Before DD hit 3, I swear she ate more than DH AND me put together. I never quite believed a kid could shove so much food down. But she's always been active and is now lean, so I guess those breakfasts x 2 didn't hurt. And yes, she sometimes went whole days without eating much.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My two eat what we eat except the baby who is weaning on banana at the moment
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My son eats what I eat. Sometimes I'll make him a grilled cheese or PB&J if what I cook is too spicy. Now what his dad feeds him at his house if a whole other story.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When she's at my house my 15 year old eats either frozen waffles, eggs and toast, Quaker instant oatmeal or cream of wheat or cereal (Life, Honey Nut Cheerieos, Corn Pops, Fruit Loops) before school. While I don't ban them, personally I think poptarts and toaster strudels are snack foods that are saved for after school.
    For lunch, this year I've been packing her lunch because last year she was blowing through money like our last name was Trump ; ) Lunch always consists of peanut butter on either bread or a flour tortilla, a piece of fruit, a pudding, homemade trailmix (almonds, cranberries, chocolate chips and sometimes marshmellows), sometimes carrots, sometimes tasteykakes and either a YooHoo or a Gatorade. She's never been a good eater and I'll back whatever she will actually eat throughout the day.
    For dinner she eats what we eat, period. And while she's never been a good eater she's never been a picky eater and will eat almost anything including raw oysters, rare meat and a majority of vegetables.
    Except for eating some weird things like dry hot chocolate mix or dry pudding mix she seems to have a healthy relationship with food. When she wants cookies or ice cream she only wants one or two cookies and a small bowl of ice cream and she's satisfied.