Just got a job! At McDonalds! :')

Options
So I am pretty stoked to start earning a bit of extra cash this summer, but it comes at the cost of being stuck in the lion's den of temptation X hours a week. Apparently employees get a free meal on their breaks, and french fries dunked in milkshake happen to be my guiltiest pleasure. I am kind of worried about falling off the wagon, but also worried about starving to death over a long shift.

I can eat a plain McChicken and a parfait every once in a while without breaking the calorie bank, but I'm worried about it becoming too much of a habit. And those fries are pretty much the definition of empty calories but god damn do they taste as though they descended straight from heaven.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are looking for suggestions or not, but I will give a few.

Premium grilled chicken sandwiches
    Grilled chicken wraps
    Grilled chicken salads (Southwest is my favorite)

Or even a Big Mac sans middle bun are very easy to fit into your day.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Don't Eat This Book" by Morgan Spurlock--it will cure you of eating anything at Mc D's.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I work there I try to keep the fry's to a treat "once a month type thing"...the 6 piece nugget and snack bites dont' break the calorie bank...and double cheese is only 440 with a pack of apples..We are really limited on what we can get for free lol so that helps me alot...and after a few months, trust me it will lose its appeal.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are looking for suggestions or not, but I will give a few.

Premium grilled chicken sandwiches
    Grilled chicken wraps
    Grilled chicken salads (Southwest is my favorite)

Or even a Big Mac sans middle bun are very easy to fit into your day.

When I worked there 10 years ago they would only let me have 1 sandwich and medium fries and no premium sandwiches or salads. Obviously all the soda you want. I would ask the manager to see what you are actually allotted to have on shift.

I personally love the premium grilled chicken salads.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My brother who worked at a McD one summer in the 90's said that after working there, you'd never want to eat it again...
  • wheird
    Options
    Read the book "Don't Eat This Book" by Morgan Spurlock--it will cure you of eating anything at Mc D's.

Cliff notes, plz.
  • remedysmom
    remedysmom Posts: 4
    Options
    Seconding what wheird said. While not ideal, their grilled chicken stuff (minus mayo, of course) isn't the worst thing you could do calorie-wise. Also, you could always get the cheeseburger kids meal if you really get a fry craving. Smaller portions = less temptation, for me anyways.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My brother who worked at a McD one summer in the 90's said that after working there, you'd never want to eat it again...

I was told this ^^^ by a friend who worked in the food industry lol. He would not eat at ANY fast-food place after his stint there lol So perhaps it wont be too bad :laugh:
  • wheird
    Options

I have known people to say that too, claiming they are really dirty.

Except those employees had direct control over those conditions and could have picked up a cleaning rag at any time.

Plus most fast food places have an open concept now and you can see the kitchen area.
  • wheird
    Options
    Seconding what wheird said. While not ideal, their grilled chicken stuff (minus mayo, of course) isn't the worst thing you could do calorie-wise. Also, you could always get the cheeseburger kids meal if you really get a fry craving. Smaller portions = less temptation, for me anyways.

Some of their stuff is surprisingly excellent as far as calories and macros go.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I think McDonalds has some healthy foods so if you choose wisely you will be ok. Parfait, Vanilla Ice Cream Cone, Round Eggs, Canadian Bacon, Bacon Ranch Salad with low fat dressing, Grilled Chicken Sand with no mayonnaise, grilled chicken wrap with no sauce. I order a muffin with round egg for like 200 calories and only cost $1. Oatmeal is tasty also. Be glad you are not working at BOjangles or Hardees, much harder to make a low calorie choice.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Great...now I want French fries dipped in a milkshake. You can do it pal...stay strong. Say no to the clown.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just remember that it takes 524 burpees to burn off a large fry.

Burpees suck, so choose wildly!
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

This. I worked there for about 2 years a decade ago. I haven't eaten McDonalds in years. I get a weird craving every now and then. Occasionally, I cave in and purchase something. I immediately regret it since I can't even finish a burger OR fries. I even hate the tea. Just try for healthier options while you're there. Blegh...:sick:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's for 5 years through highschool and college. I eat there all the time. I worked at 3 different stores, and often covered shifts at others. They were clean, sanitary and followed all food safety rules. Of course I was the manager and made sure that was the case.

Also we were totally allowed grilled chicken and/or salads. That sucks if they've changed that. However burgers without cheese fit in the calories fine too. The fries are what will get you. I might bring money once or twice a week to get the chicken.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just remember that it takes 524 burpees to burn off a large fry.

Burpees suck, so choose wildly!

Solid advice.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want there, but just pre-log it into your day and plan accordingly. As wheird said, there are some good options. The grilled wraps are delicious and not bad as far as calorie and macro counts go.

I worked there for my first job, and they let us order what we wanted but we had a limit on the total value of our free lunch. Not sure how your franchise works. It seems to vary by location as to what constitutes a "free lunch" for employees, so make sure you figure that out and plan accordingly.

ETA: The McDonald's I worked at was clean, and we were diligent about observing safe food handling also.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a manager at a McDonalds and obviously have the same problems. I LOVE the sweet chili wrap grilled no garlic with a side salad (Under 400 cals). For breakfast 3 egg whites smothered in hot picante with white cheddar melted on top and Canadian bacon (Under 250 cals). If I HAVE to have something sweet I put peanuts in some caramel sauce and dip apple slices into it.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I have known people to say that too, claiming they are really dirty.

Except those employees had direct control over those conditions and could have picked up a cleaning rag at any time.

Plus most fast food places have an open concept now and you can see the kitchen area.

Used to work at BK. I'd eat there in a heart beat (if it fit etc). We were good clean workers. Just depends on the location and the owner (I think most are franchised) .
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options

Morgan Spurlock is a hack who has no idea what moderation is.