Do ppl in their 20's have to deal w/ loose skin?

Options
HI! I guess my question is pretty clear already but this is my situation. I am 26 years old trying to lose about 100 lbs maybe even a small amount more. CW is 245, I've been losing about 3lbs a week. Some people say if you lose it slowly you won't have excess skin, but I'm not sure about that. I think that my skin has grown around this large amount of weight and even now I have saggy arms.. I looked at a different loose skin post and it seemed to be alot of responses from people 40+. Will my age help me in this area at all? I have always been overweight but probably only over 200lbs for the last 3-5 years. BTW my height is 5ft 0in so I am pretty large for my height.

Replies

• DaddyMarbles
    DaddyMarbles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it seems to be a genetics issue. Some people are more predisposed to having loose skin, while others will never experience the same problem. I'm 28, 5,3 and the largest I've been is 160 lbs. Even after losing just 10 pounds over the years, the skin on my arms became very saggy and has never really firmed up.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and concerned about the same thing. I was on YouTube and saw this girl who made a video about tips to avoid loose skin. She was in her 20s and lost 100lbs in a year and she had NO loose skin. I think it just depends on the person, How they lose the weight, how long they take to lose it, and skin care.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im 30, but even in my 20's I still had some extra skin. It's not really noticeable. But it is there and I see it. I've lost 99 pounds.
  • Ricktopsy
    Ricktopsy Posts: 3
    Options
    I am also very curious about this.

I had a dramatic drop in weight from the age of 16 - 17. I started around 250 (I can't remember now it was over 10 years ago now) And then dropped down to 170lbs. However that weight loss was not done properly. Prior to the weight loss I had been eating horribly (working at McDonalds will do that to you) lots of sucrose and other forms of sugar, saturated fats, and no fiber. But I started smoking cigarettes, playing football and rugby, and only ate meat and dairy. I had excess skin around my bum and thighs after that. (I do not smoke cigarettes anymore)

I decided to be a soy-free vegan at the age of 20 and continued that lifestyle for 5 years. (No I did not get sick) I had a very traumatic accident and was hospitalized for 6 months. During my stay, they were unable to cater to my dietary choices -- I was also put on anti-depressants and gained 100lbs in that 6 months. Left the hospital at 270lbs.

I went back on my plant-based diet as of January 3rd 2014, (age 27) and got the okay from the doc to stop my meds.
    As of May 13th I have lost 50lbs, and have 50 more to go.

As you may have noticed I have a substantial amount of weight to loose, and am very concerned about excess skin this time around...
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna be a Debbie downer, but despite losing almost 100 lbs in a span of two years (which I think isn't considered fast weight loss), the skin on my stomach has gotten really loose. As in I-need-a-tummy-tuck-pronto kind of loose.
  • issmagbaln
    issmagbaln Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, have you tried lifting weights? I used to have saggy arms after loosing 22 lbs but when i tried lifting weights and boxing its getting firmed:) now my problem area is my tummy and legs since im too lazy to do squats and ab workout:)) Anyway, even though 22 lbs is just smaller than thhe weight you've lost you can still try it right?:)
  • st_scrivener
    Options
    Yup. Tons and tons of it. And stretch marks. Yay.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sadly yes people in their 20s have loose skin and stretch marks. My bf does. He lost 100 pounds when he was 19 or 20 and still has the loose skin today, although it has flattened out a bit. He's 28 now and we met when he was 23 and I've definitely noticed that he has less loose skin so it does get better with time but may not go away completely. He lost weight very quickly and doesn't really lift weights. So as others have suggested, I would try slowing your weight loss pace and also do heavy lifting. Some people swear by Palmers lotion to prevent stretch marks but it doesn't work for everyone. Good luck!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone!! I guess as long as I can get out of bed everyday and be healthy that's all that matters!