15 glasses of water?!

Options
OK, I know that water is amazing for us and that it helps to keep us hydrated, full and can aid in weight loss. So I started looking around for how much water I should be drinking in a day. Now, several places (sorry, I don't specif websites or anything) say you should drink about half your weight. Ok, sounds legit since we are composed of, what... about 75% water.

So, I did the math.

I weigh 240/2= 120/8 = 15 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY!?!

This seems crazy high to me!! I mean I run to the bathroom all day as it is since I don't hold onto salt so I don't retain water as much as I should so in my mind 15 pretty much means I'm about to live in my bathroom.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is this right? Does this seem high to you as well?

(*Right now I aim for 8 a day which I sometimes hit but not generally.Maybe that's why it seems so high to me)

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't have to be 15 per se, but if you are drinking enough water, your urine should run almost clear or very pale yellow, and you will be peeing all the time. All. The. Time.

Try to get at least 8, a little more if you're working out extra hard or if it's hot out and you are sweating. I carry a water bottle around everywhere and I am usually on track with 9-12 glasses of water daily.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think the urine color thing is a decent measure to go by. I don't think 15 is necessary though *shrugs. I try to get at least 8, some days im doing 12 or more without thinking of it.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    my urine is always clear... except in the morning but even then its not that colored anyways.

I just feel like 15 is such a crazy number!!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Honestly all I drink is water and black coffee. On a typical day I drink 12-16 glasses of water and 1-1.5 pots of coffee (yes that was pots not cups lol). I will admit that I do go to the bathroom a lot but not so much that it interferes with work, errands, etc. Each person is probably different though.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can do 15 easy on cardio days. On other days 10-12. 15 is not that high really...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally aim for around 8. When I'm at work, I try to finish one of those Poland Spring size cups from our bubbler each hour. Sure, I take frequent restroom breaks, but I feel hydrated and awesome!

15 sounds like a lot; I'd aim for 64oz a day minimum, and stagger it out to whatever works best for you.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 12 a day, with a slice of lemon or mint floating around in it. When I am not drinking water? I drink tea, or chicken broth. For me, its easy to get it all in during the day, but I know for others it is hard.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I routinely drink up to 120 oz of water in the form of coffee (12 oz), tea (64 oz) and water/soda (the rest) every day. Now if I counted my beers...
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think for most people, no matter what they weight, 8 is a good number. I get about 10-14 cups a day, but it's super easy when you own a 32 oz water bottle. I actually really hate water, so my water bottle is a godsend!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    15 is a little ridiculous. It make sense that someone who weighs 240 would need more than someone 120 lbs, but 4 liters is shanaenae. Plus the water in other beverages and foods counts too. You're supposed to go by the color of your pee and adjust as necessary.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    OK, I know that water is amazing for us and that it helps to keep us hydrated, full and can aid in weight loss. So I started looking around for how much water I should be drinking in a day. Now, several places (sorry, I don't specif websites or anything) say you should drink about half your weight. Ok, sounds legit since we are composed of, what... about 75% water.

So, I did the math.

I weigh 240/2= 120/8 = 15 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY!?!

This seems crazy high to me!! I mean I run to the bathroom all day as it is since I don't hold onto salt so I don't retain water as much as I should so in my mind 15 pretty much means I'm about to live in my bathroom.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is this right? Does this seem high to you as well?

(*Right now I aim for 8 a day which I sometimes hit but not generally.Maybe that's why it seems so high to me)

I drink 12 glasses a day. And lately I try for more everyday. I weigh just about that amount also. I am not eating as much so I have room for the water! When I was working on increasingly amount to 12 I used lemon and oranges and even apples to flavor it. Always drink it cold! I would suggest getting a large cup or two or even a few water bottles. Maybe a couple of fun ones. Measure out what each one holds. And fill them every am. Then when you get home you can see exactly how much more you need to drink. in fact once you get to that amount you might find it hard to not drink that amount because you feel sluggish and headache!Good luck! It is very doable.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, definitely normal, my calculations were somewhere close to 150 oz (almost 19 cups!) a day. Since I drink a lot of water anyway (like a fish seriously), I usually do around 120 but 140 proves to be a challenge some days!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 of those 32 oz bottles
  • grumblefluff
    grumblefluff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was drinking that anyway, since I didn't calculate that my water glass was 16oz, so each of my 8 glasses was actually 2, now I just keep it at that because it seems to be working for me LOL
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drink roughly 8-14 cups of water a day (including milkless, sugarless herb and green teas and coffees as I work at 5AM). I pee quite frequently but it does not interfere with my work or life, and I snack less when I always have a water bottle with a bit of lemon in it. This article says the average lady should drink about 8-9 glasses of fluid a day and men should have around 13.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
    (I have some faith in this source because my dad was at risk of developing a cardiovascular condition and the Heart Health centre at our hospital suggested he follow many of the guidelines set out by the Mayo Clinic. He lost more than his prescribed 30 pounds and does not have to take medication to lower his cholesterol now!)
  • Nolangela
    Nolangela Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm doing one of the Beachbody programs and it says on Les Mills Combat that you cut your body weight in half and that's the recommended amount of ounces you should be drinking daily....that is a very scary amount of ounces for me!! LOL I just do what I can :) Maybe someday I'll make that requirement...
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    once you start drinking more water, your body/bladder adjust and you will find you can go longer between your bathroom breaks.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, 15 cups per day is high. However, that's also how much I drink if not more. Everyone has their own preferences but I've been drinking an average of 16 servings per day for about 2 years and I'm 100% sure that my body is happier than before. :drinker:

ETA I'm referring to pure water. I don't count what I might use in a protein drink, coffee, or tea. Water used for those things is a bonus.
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 - 20 glasses every day and have had up to 24 on occasion. Do I pee a lot - YES. But I think it has been a factor in keeping hydrated and my joints very lubed. Going from 375 lbs. to now 215; and from every joint in my body aching to no pain anywhere; and from especially horrible knee pain because of no cartilage in them to no pain in the knees .... I believe the water has helped greatly.
  • mercergirl2008
    mercergirl2008 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    a glass is considered to be 8oz or about the size of a coffee cup. When you look at it that way it isn't a lot of water. I know some ppl prefer to buy a 2-3 liter water bottle and they try to drink one of those a day.